Ross County vs Dundee United - Scottish Cup Quarter Final

lionel hutz

[disclaimer] I wasn't at the Utd game at the weekend and am basing this entirely on Tuesday's game against Killie, at which I actually was. [/disclaimer]

I'd like to see a proper 442 in this, like we had on Tuesday at Killie. No more faffing around trying to accommodate Irvine on the right. Tuesday's performance was good, and I don't envisage any changes beyond the necessary dropping of Goodwillie. Therefore, a starting XI of:

Woods

Fraser Quinn Davies Foster

Franks Irvine Woods Gardyne

Boyce Schalk

That's a good line-up, and should be able to take the initiative against Utd. A positive result in this would set us up nicely for the final eight days later.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woods

Fraser Quinn Davies Foster

Franks Irvine Woods Gardyne

Boyce Schalk

I worry thats very reliant on our midfield 4 having a tremendous game.

It should work, but the weaknesses in there (Franks consistency and crossing, Woods tracking back and ability to impose himself on a game, Irvine's tendency to try to do too much and diminishing his own game) make me worry they'll boss us again.

Perfect world, we're solid in the middle and we beast them down the wings. Fingers crossed!

DD: Woods put himself about well on Tuesday. He had two head-in-hands moments where he didnt know what he wanted to do on the right wing, but otherwise was as good as I've seen this season outwith the LC semi final.

I wonder if Ofere will try another right hook on Quinn. I take it that the cameras missed it completely, or the compliance officer is on a sabbatical. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

Wouldn't mind seeing* Paul Quinn deliver some season-ending retribution on Ofere tbh. He might miss the Cup Final (although appeals and all that) but sometimes you've just got to think of the greater good.

Also wouldn't mind McLaughlin getting another run out. Graham as well.

*I'm not going to the game so I won't actually see it

I must admit I couldn't care less about the Scottish Cup this year. Mixu should give a chance to a few of the players he inexplicably left out this week.

Just as important is to revert to two up front.

Team I'd go wiv is...

Kawashima

Donaldson Gunning Durnan

Knoyle Paton Rankin Spittal

Dow

Ofere Murray

Bench... Fraser, McKay, Anier, Demel, Dillon , Zwick and Dixon

I'd go with that, though I have no idea how good or bad Knoyle is.

DD: Woods put himself about well on Tuesday. He had two head-in-hands moments where he didnt know what he wanted to do on the right wing, but otherwise was as good as I've seen this season outwith the LC semi final.

Are you referring to the point where he tried to be too clever by half over on the right when he should just have passed it, lost possession, fouled the Killie player in response and got a yellow card?

There was also that freekick straight to the goalkeeper. Apart from those two incidents though, I too thought he was pretty good. And they were both things an "ordinary" player wouldn't have attempted and thus they wouldn't have been embarrassed as a result!

That's really good to hear that Woods had another good game on Tuesday, I hadnt appreciated that. He does it have in him, but he frustrates the shit out of me.

Not sure how much its worth factoring in he was up against Kilmarnock's midfield, rather than Dundee Utd's..?

Zwick in the sticks, and a 17yo GK on the bench. McGovern must be proper shit!

No idea how seriously Mixu will approach this - we might see Dillon given a game.

We should be aiming to win though - try and keep confidence reasonably high.

Are you referring to the point where he tried to be too clever by half over on the right when he should just have passed it, lost possession, fouled the Killie player in response and got a yellow card?

There was also that freekick straight to the goalkeeper. Apart from those two incidents though, I too thought he was pretty good. And they were both things an "ordinary" player wouldn't have attempted and thus they wouldn't have been embarrassed as a result!

There was one instance on the right wing before then, where he carried the ball on the counter before dallying 1v1 and losing it, instead of attacking the outside and trusting his right foot. The one you refer to was from a short corner with Gardyne. Not getting the cross in when there were Davies, Quinn, Irvine and Graham all on the park at that point was hoorna frustrating.

I forgot about the FK but I could see what he was doing - he just didn't get his foot around the ball enough.

Other than that though, yeah, he had a decent game, aggressive in challenges and moving the ball quickly.

Not sure how much its worth factoring in he was up against Kilmarnock's midfield, rather than Dundee Utd's..?

He did good in the first half against United, as many have pointed out. Maybe the motivation fell away a little when it was clear County were getting beat.

Kawashima's out. Zwick's in the sticks.

County will need to create decent chances this time for that to be an issue.

I read on Twitter somewhere that United have sold 1,400 tickets. That away stand when it is full is quite dominating on the rest of the stadium. Hopefully an early goal will keep it quiet.

Demel for Dixon from last week's team. Dow is far better from the bench. Ofere will at least mean the long aimless punts will be contested.

Fans will be tremendous once again, hopefully same commitment from the players and less dinghy-ness from our tragic manager

Zwick in the sticks, and a 17yo GK on the bench. McGovern must be proper shit!

No idea how seriously Mixu will approach this - we might see Dillon given a game.

We should be aiming to win though - try and keep confidence reasonably high.

We won't know until later this evening. Mixu has a sophisticated team selection process based upon the numbers drawn in the Euromillions lottery.

If the numbers 27, 43 and 55 are drawn together then Durnan will partner Anier up front.

Demel apparently still out and Gunning struggling too?

Could be ----Zwick-----

----Dillon----Durnan----Donaldson-----

Spittal----Paton----Fraser----Rankin

------------------Dow--------------------

------------Ofere------McKay------------

Fraser only keeps his place because he was marginally less horrendous than Dixon on Wednesday. Anier confirmed he can run around but isnt a footballer and we'd be better employing Murray in the headless chicken role. Isnt really much point in being cagey and inviting County on given the personnel at the back so might as well throw Dow in.

I read on Twitter somewhere that United have sold 1,400 tickets.

Wowzer.

Hope they all take a wander up the street and view our Cup Final shop displays.

The pitch is going to be a mess, it's still fecking raining.

Archived