Bread with soup - toasted or untoasted

DA Baracus

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I being wooshed here? The toast is wrong, but I'm assuming you're not questioning adding milk to Tomato Soup (i.e. to make cream of tomato) or putting grated cheese in French Onion Soup? Both of those are integral.

Cheese most certainly does not go in French onion soup!!

Cheese and bread both go in a very nice Tuscan Bean Soup recipe that I know.

Gruyere cheese goes on toasted and lightly garlic'd croutons with a French Onion Soup. These are placed under the grill before serving which may give the appearance of cheese being in the soup, but in fact there is an intermediary bread component.

Cream, crème fraîche or sour cream are sometimes added to soups, but adding milk seems silly.

A warm crusty roll, soft on the inside with butter melted is quite nice, the wee ones you find restaurants. Favourite has to be a nice slice of tiger loaf with butter. Not the pre sliced stuff, but cut yourself to preferred thickness.

I have to admit though on one occasion after I had been out I poured some homemade soup into a bowl, went for the breadbin and it was bare. In a drunken panic I searched the cupboards, I needed some sort of carbs to accompany my soup. I ended up breaking crackers over the top and then grated cheese on it. I can't/won't even think if it was good but I finished it. Woke up the next morning to see what I had just done, the fear hit me twice as hard with this act of shameful behaviour. Definitely one of those 'I'm never drinking again' mornings. Quickly cleared the evidence before anyone seen what I had done.

Holy f**k are you referring to tomato soup here by calling it tommy soup ? Do you call French toast 'eggy dip dip' as well ?

No, is that not called toad in a hole?

Might have a soda and Tommy soup with cheese sandwiches for dinner tomorrow now, this threads got me in the mood.

Eta: Boab beat me to it.

Anecdotally, the best way for bread to be served with soup is for a freshly baked loaf with the top cut off to be hollowed out then filled with the soup. Particularly awesome with French onion soup and gruyère.

On a similar ilk, the garlic soup they serve in hollowed out bread in Slovakia & Poland etc. is pretty decent.

On a similar ilk, the garlic soup they serve in hollowed out bread in Slovakia & Poland etc. is pretty decent.

Usually served (in Czechia/Slovakia at least) with a generic, stringy-melting cheese in the soup as well. It generally works though they really should fork out a bit more for Gruyere.

Agreed. Love edible crockery as concept tho. Once had something Welsh called Brin Branner which was stew served in this manner, delish.

If I could, I'd probably have all meals served inside a hollowed out bowl of crusty bread - provided they were something with a reasonable amount of sauce of course.

Usually served (in Czechia/Slovakia at least) with a generic, stringy-melting cheese in the soup as well. It generally works though they really should fork out a bit more for Gruyere.

There was no cheese in mine in Bratislava, I feel like I've missed out :(

Archived