General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

Not really, although some will go on to become grown-up politicians.

Patrick Grady would be a good example (President of the Strathclyde Union, went on to become an MP), Jim Murphy would be a bad one (NUS President, went on to become Jim Murphy).

I was on the same NUS Scotland executive as Jim Murphy, Joe Fitzpatrick and Dougie Blackstock.

The Ents Convenor at Strathclyde was a certain Ed Byrne - I think he did all right for himself.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

I was on the same NUS Scotland executive as Jim Murphy, Joe Fitzpatrick and Dougie Blackstock.

The Ents Convenor at Strathclyde was a certain Ed Byrne - I think he did all right for himself.

Indeed.  Who can forget those Carphone Warehouse adverts.

Jeremy Corbyn is a special guest speaker at Progress' annual conference tomorrow. Unable to make it (with the baby I'm unable to do much), though I really wanted to go, even more disappointed I can't go now.

It's not really University politics if they went to the Tech and one of them didn't even graduate.

Typical patronising Glasgow Uni guff from the Jordanhill minter. :thumbsdown

With a snobbish attitude like that, you are not fit to support the Jags.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

Jeremy Corbyn is a special guest speaker at Progress' annual conference tomorrow. Unable to make it (with the baby I'm unable to do much), though I really wanted to go, even more disappointed I can't go now.

Progress is the care home for the demented Blairites who yearn for the return of their beloved Tony and his cronies. It's surprising that they invited Corbyn whom they despise.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

Progress is the care home for the demented Blairites who yearn for the return of their beloved Tony and his cronies. It's surprising that they invited Corbyn whom they despise.

I think it's a good move that the most significant modernising faction of the party have invited him. Ultimately we are all Labour members and whilst we may not see eye to eye on everything he is our leader. I would dispute the label 'Blairite' though, I'm a member of Progress and don't consider myself Blairite.

I think it's a good move that the most significant modernising faction of the party have invited him. Ultimately we are all Labour members and whilst we may not see eye to eye on everything he is our leader. I would dispute the label 'Blairite' though, I'm a member of Progress and don't consider myself Blairite.

'Most significant modernising faction'. :lol:

That's wonderful.

'Most significant modernising faction'. :lol:

That's wonderful.

Which modernising faction of the Labour Party do you think are more significant than Progress? Labour First are the only ones close, but they are very unorganised and have alienated certain moderates (myself included) by the extremity of their anti-Corbyn politics.

Which modernising faction of the Labour Party do you think are more significant than Progress? Labour First are the only ones close, but they are very unorganised and have alienated certain moderates (myself included) by the extremity of their anti-Corbyn politics.

I was laughing at the description of trying to drag Labour further to the right as 'modernising'.

Watching Corbyn's speech; by Christ he's uninspiring. Content good, delivery absolutely awful.

A sad loser like you denigrates others' university education? 

murphy_3296328b.jpg

What you have actually achieved in life to have such a condescending attitude?

As you can see, I was #distraught at the news East Renfrewshire didn't want a Liberal Democrat as their MP.

DISTRAUGHT.

10956634_644759912325047_665811157875345

Typical patronising Glasgow Uni guff from the Jordanhill minter. :thumbsdown

With a snobbish attitude like that, you are not fit to support the Jags.

I never understood why people from other universities in Glasgow always thought Glasgow Uni students were patronising. I was impressed that they knew the word 'patronising' though.