General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

Oor Kezia still spectacularly not "getting it" at the Progress conference yesterday.  Dearie me:

What looks complex is actually excruciatingly simple - Labour is being punished for saving the union | @kezdugdale #pac16

The SNP know that if they want to get independence then they have to destroy the Labour party | @kezdugdale #pac16

Oor Kezia still spectacularly not "getting it" at the Progress conference yesterday. Dearie me:

4JUPsLFN_bigger.jpgProgressOnline â€@ProgressOnline

What looks complex is actually excruciatingly simple - Labour is being punished for saving the union | @kezdugdale #pac16

4JUPsLFN_bigger.jpgProgressOnline â€@ProgressOnline

The SNP know that if they want to get independence then they have to destroy the Labour party | @kezdugdale #pac16

How dare the SNP exist and how dare people vote for them and not her grubby little band of shysters!

Not a drop out - engineering and business degrees.

You are so far up your own smelly arse I can smell the shite off your breath from here.

Perhaps you could engineer yourself some chat?

Andy Burnham to contest Labour's candidacy for Mayor of Greater Manchester, and will leave the Commons if he is successful:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/may/18/andy-burnham-to-stand-for-mayor-of-greater-manchester

He's playing the long game for leadership of the party. The Boris approach if you like.

He knows a Westminster coup will be messy and if he's a part of it his reputation will suffer (did heseltine not have the same problem when the milk snatcher was ousted?).

He's playing the long game for leadership of the party. The Boris approach if you like.

He knows a Westminster coup will be messy and if he's a part of it his reputation will suffer (did heseltine not have the same problem when the milk snatcher was ousted?).

I very much doubt that, to be honest. He's stood twice now, and has been comprehensively beaten on both occasions. Any coup with Burnham as the candidate to succeed Corbyn would be undermined by the result of the previous contest, so I doubt he would have any major role to play. 

If he was still interested in the leadership, or believed he had a serious chance of obtaining it should Corbyn fall, he would be best to continue serving in the Shadow Cabinet - and remaining as an MP. Then, if the opportunity arose, he could present himself as a compromise candidate to all factions. Maybe that was his first strategy, but now he's realised that there's little chance of Corbyn resigning or being forced out in the near future. I suspect he's given up. 

It's the choice, for Burnham, between having power in Manchester or having no power in London. Also, as far as I understand, his family live in Leigh. That might have something to do with his decision after being based, at least during the week, away from them for quite a while. 

I very much doubt that, to be honest. He's stood twice now, and has been comprehensively beaten on both occasions. Any coup with Burnham as the candidate to succeed Corbyn would be undermined by the result of the previous contest, so I doubt he would have any major role to play.

If he was still interested in the leadership, or believed he had a serious chance of obtaining it should Corbyn fall, he would be best to continue serving in the Shadow Cabinet - and remaining as an MP. Then, if the opportunity arose, he could present himself as a compromise candidate to all factions. Maybe that was his first strategy, but now he's realised that there's little chance of Corbyn resigning or being forced out in the near future. I suspect he's given up.

It's the choice, for Burnham, between having power in Manchester or having no power in London. Also, as far as I understand, his family live in Leigh. That might have something to do with his decision after being based, at least during the week, away from them for quite a while.

I'll be amazed if Burnham doesn't go for leader again. He's a very young man and is generally seen as left of centre but not too far left for the arseholes on the right.

I can see the some on the right wing of the PLP, which is the majority, doing an SDP before the end of this Parliament. More so if there are deselections.

It may not be a bad thing though it will hand an election victory to a badly fucked up Tory Party.

I can see the some on the right wing of the PLP, which is the majority, doing an SDP before the end of this Parliament. More so if there are deselections.

It may not be a bad thing though it will hand an election victory to a badly fucked up Tory Party.

It won't happen for two reasons. Firstly the Labour Right have utter contempt for the Lib Dems, and especially for Farron. Secondly, there is no financial backer sitting in the wings to find such a venture.

It won't happen for two reasons. Firstly the Labour Right have utter contempt for the Lib Dems, and especially for Farron. Secondly, there is no financial backer sitting in the wings to find such a venture.

Both of these. Plus the basic logic of the 'right' is that they want to be electable. Splitting the party would be considerably worse than the current set-up. I think it's underestimated how loyal a lot on the modernising wing are to the party as well.

I'm not suggesting joining the Lib Dems, I'm talking a new breakaway party. Financial backing may or may not be of major relevance.

Try as they might they will not be able to ditch Corbyn before the next GE. Something has to give.