General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

It's really simple:

286 MPs voted for relaxation of Sunday Trading in England. Further checking suggests only 10 of them were from constituencies outside of England (1 Scottish, 9 Welsh). An English majority is anything equal to or better than 267 MPs. 276 English MPs supported the bill. That is manifestly a majority.

It's really simple:

286 MPs voted for relaxation of Sunday Trading in England. Further checking suggests only 10 of them were from constituencies outside of England (1 Scottish, 9 Welsh). An English majority is anything equal to or better than 267 MPs. 276 English MPs supported the bill. That is manifestly a majority.

It wasn't just an English law. It would affect Wales as well.

It wasn't just an English law. It would affect Wales as well.

Correct.

But that wasn't what Antilion said, was it? He didn't mention Wales.

Nice to see you trying to shift goalposts though. Again. You should get a YTS contract.

Edited by Ad Lib

If 250 English MPs vote against something, 283 English MPs vote for it and 50 Scottish MPs vote against it, does it pass?

No, I was wrong and Ad Lib was correct. When you're wrong it's probably best to acknowledge it.

I think it would be best for all, particularly Ad Lib, if, in light of this wonderful victory, he took a wee rest.

Correct.

But that wasn't what Antilion said, was it? He didn't mention Wales.

Nice to see you trying to shift goalposts though. Again. You should get a YTS contract.

You are right he didn't mention Wales. He also didn't mention any particular policies, that was you. I am merely pointing out that England did not try to change their Sunday Trading Laws, they attempted to change it in Wales as well.

When you start presenting numbers to validate your argument, it would be better if you were using goal posts that are placed in a well marked field rather than jackets thrown down in the playground.

You are right he didn't mention Wales. He also didn't mention any particular policies, that was you. I am merely pointing out that England did not try to change their Sunday Trading Laws, they attempted to change it in Wales as well.

When you start presenting numbers to validate your argument, it would be better if you were using goal posts that are placed in a well marked field rather than jackets thrown down in the playground.

He claimed that England always gets its own way. I demonstrated two examples where it did not.

There may be good reasons why they shouldn't in those cases. But what is clear is that they didn't.

He claimed that England always gets its own way. I demonstrated two examples where it did not.

There may be good reasons why they shouldn't in those cases. But what is clear is that they didn't.

I agree with you that you produced two examples of where the government were unable to pass legislation. In the only one that went to a vote, it is clearly I.cprtect to exclude Welsh votes when it was a bill that would affect them.

I will just point out at this juncture that I have not looked into the voting by Welsh MPs and it may actually re-enforce your argument. The pertinent point remains.

I agree with you that you produced two examples of where the government were unable to pass legislation. In the only one that went to a vote, it is clearly I.cprtect to exclude Welsh votes when it was a bill that would affect them.

I will just point out at this juncture that I have not looked into the voting by Welsh MPs and it may actually re-enforce your argument. The pertinent point remains.

I was only responding to what Antilion said. Which was false.

FWIW, If you include the Welsh MPs on the rationale it's an England and Wales law, the total falls one short of an outright majority but is a functional majority once you take into account the fact that one Labour seat was vacant for a by-election at the time, that another Labour MP had just died, and that the Speaker only votes to break a tie.