General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

Hofer: 51.9% (1,937,863)

Van der Bellen: 48.1% (1,793,857)

Far right candidate has the lead at the moment. Nearly 900,000 postal votes to be counted tomorrow though apparently. Still might be too big a gap to close.

Well that was close...

final result:

Alexander Van der Bellen: 2,254,484 (50.35%)

Norbert Hofer: 2,223,458 (49.65%)

Turnout: 72.7%

Green Party stop Austria from electing a far right President.

Well that was close...

final result:

Alexander Van der Bellen: 2,254,484 (50.35%)

Norbert Hofer: 2,223,458 (49.65%)

Turnout: 72.7%

Green Party stop Austria from electing a far right President.

Thanks in large part to the female vote.

Mildly disappointed the far right candidate lost because it may have caused a heads gone of the decade type meltdown from Owen Jones.

Still holding out hope for a Trump victory to achieve that.

I'm fairly certain you're a housebound bitter little man.

Thanks in large part to the female vote.

And the well educated. Perhaps not surprisingly, Hofer apparently took 90% of the manual working class vote.

You'd think if there was one country who would know the dangers of far-right nationalist politics it would be Austria.

Austrians have an incredible capacity for self delusion as far as the war goes. Any I've encountered & their attitude was that they were invaded & occupied & were as much victims of Nazi Germany as its other conquests, even though Amon Göth - grand ubercunt of the Holocaust (Schindler's List & all that) - and Alois Brunner (Eichman's deputy) were Austrians born and bred.

They did elect Kurt Waldheim so they have previous.

A neighbour's burgler alarm went off years back when the Waldheim thing was in the news. I went over to check it out and there was a youngish girl, about 17 on her own. Turned out she was an Austrian exchange student left alone in the house while the family were out. We turned off the alarm somehow and she said they don't have alarms in Austria as they don't have any criminals. When I said "What about Kurt Waldheim?" she said she meant real criminals. Haven't trusted them since.

Austrians have an incredible capacity for self delusion as far as the war goes. Any I've encountered & their attitude was that they were invaded & occupied & were as much victims of Nazi Germany as its other conquests, even though Amon Göth - grand ubercunt of the Holocaust (Schindler's List & all that) - and Alois Brunner (Eichman's deputy) were Austrians born and bred.

I'm pretty sure another born and bred Austrian was involved. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure another born and bred Austrian was involved. :rolleyes:

They've always been able to blithly dismiss him in their own minds as not-one-of-us because he refused to fight for Austria-Hungary but begged to fight for Germany. Forgot to mention earlier that other top ranked shit Ernst Kaltenbrunner (successor of Reynard "Final Solution" Heydrich) - in fact 75% of the Kommandants & 40% of the extermination camp staff were Austrians despite only comprising 8% of the 3rd Reich's population. (Source: The politics of the Nazi Past in Germany & Austria)

I'm signing because Jim Traynor has told me to. He is a very intelligent man who has loads and loads of good ideas. He wrote a special piece for our website on Sunday, comedy genius. Now, where is my magic hat....:lol:

Even their rabid petitions are getting trolled.

Even their rabid petitions are getting trolled.

Whit! Are they no real names?

this is importent to me and other blue nose loyal rangers troops.

Its disgusting that a wooman can be a mp of goven.

This shood only be for fat baldy proddys then we can get rid of the ofencive act

and sing aboot fenien blood again without the working class proddy kids being criminaized.

King Billy, Glasgow, United Kingdom

I hate those bloody Separatists. Unionists must stand together against this papist plot

mason boyne, Glasgow, United Kingdom

They've always been able to blithly dismiss him in their own minds as not-one-of-us because he refused to fight for Austria-Hungary but begged to fight for Germany. Forgot to mention earlier that other top ranked shit Ernst Kaltenbrunner (successor of Reynard "Final Solution" Heydrich) - in fact 75% of the Kommandants & 40% of the extermination camp staff were Austrians despite only comprising 8% of the 3rd Reich's population. (Source: The politics of the Nazi Past in Germany & Austria)

Eichmann was Austrian as well wasn't he?