General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

1 hour ago, Baxter Parp said:

CKoac1KWoAA9f9d.jpg

Prof. Mark Blyth gets it.

Yeah, gets it wrong.  There is no doubt that debt rose through the bailout but it was rising before hand and continues to rise whilst the government are seeing a net income from the bailouts.  It really has been a case of living beyond our means and until we can start producing products and services that the rest of the world wants to purchase then it will forever be the case in the modern world.

BTW - For someone who "gets it", what does he think about Scottish Independence? 

6 minutes ago, strichener said:

Yeah, gets it wrong.  There is no doubt that debt rose through the bailout but it was rising before hand and continues to rise whilst the government are seeing a net income from the bailouts.  It really has been a case of living beyond our means and until we can start producing products and services that the rest of the world wants to purchase then it will forever be the case in the modern world.

Pish.  Forgive me if I trust the opinion of a political economist who's actually written a book on austerity over some pea-brained internet no-mark.

Scottish Labour going on about Fracking today. I might be in a minority with this view but I don't see the problem with fracking. Seems like a good revenue stream and a way of creating more industry. I openly admit I've not got a great deal of knowledge about it, but of what I've read this morning I don't think banning it is the right move, not sure why Labour are pouncing on it other than for populist reasons.

7 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

Scottish Labour going on about Fracking today. I might be in a minority with this view but I don't see the problem with fracking. Seems like a good revenue stream and a way of creating more industry. I openly admit I've not got a great deal of knowledge about it, but of what I've read this morning I don't think banning it is the right move, not sure why Labour are pouncing on it other than for populist reasons.

You can only flog a dead horse so many times.

You can only flog a dead horse so many times.

I should probably rephrase that. I just think this is a disingenuous policy and that Labour are using this to try to attack the SNP than because its actually a good idea. Fine under normal circumstances but not when it adds fuel to the fire in turning the public against something that we may have to put forward when we are next in government.

Just now, jmothecat said:

I should probably rephrase that. I just think this is a disingenuous policy and that Labour are using this to try to attack the SNP than because its actually a good idea. Fine under normal circumstances but not when it adds fuel to the fire in turning the public against something that we may have to put forward when we are next in government.

Which policy area do they not do that continually at present?

I f slavery was still on the go and the SNP proposed to ban it Labour would oppose it with a passion.

12 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

£1 billion to secure the services of the DUP. But austerity isn't ideological. For fucks sake. Absolute c***s.

That £1 billion could have been heading our way if your shower of shite up here actually wanted power at Westminster, alas, they get thicker as each new regime takes over, loonydave or muckspreader must have a chance after Kez gets her booted out the door.

That £1 billion could have been heading our way if your shower of shite up here actually wanted power at Westminster, alas, they get thicker as each new regime takes over, loonydave or muckspreader must have a chance after Kez gets her booted out the door.

Aye, it's Labour's fault the SNP couldn't defend their heartlands from the Tories.

4 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

Aye, it's Labour's fault the SNP couldn't defend their heartlands from the Tories.

The SNP haven't been prominent long enough to have many heartlands, cheering Tory victories over Tory defeats when you know you're in with a decent chance of power just sums your Kezia' and Jackie' up pretty well.

1 hour ago, Baxter Parp said:

Pish.  Forgive me if I trust the opinion of a political economist who's actually written a book on austerity over some pea-brained internet no-mark.

Yep, let's just get on the populist "it was all the bankers fault" bandwagon.   If your starting point is that austerity is wrong under all circumstance then you not objective.  I would be interested to know what you thought of his book and in particular his conclusion.

8 minutes ago, strichener said:

Yep, let's just get on the populist "it was all the bankers fault" bandwagon.   If your starting point is that austerity is wrong under all circumstance then you not objective.  I would be interested to know what you thought of his book and in particular his conclusion.

It was all the bankers fault, the Labour government wasn't overspending.

Let's just shut down Parliament to stop any dissent,

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/parliament-summer-holiday-extension-theresa-may-mps-plotting-coup-three-months-house-commons-lords-a7807901.html

Parliament's summer holiday could be extended 'to stop MPs plotting coup against Theresa May'

Disgruntled MPs 'less likely to oust Prime Minister during recess'

facebook.png  
  twitter.png  

email.png  
  blank.gif  
Click to follow
Indy Politics
parliament-holiday-0.jpg Parliament could rise sooner than the planned date of 20 July Getty

MPs could have their summer holiday extended to three months under reported Conservative plans to stifle rebellion against Theresa May.

Parliament would rise sooner than the planned date of 20 July, while the September sitting would be scrapped, resulting in a summer break of as long as 12 weeks, according to the proposals.

The longer holiday was designed to reduce opportunities for disgruntled Tories to plot to oust their leader, The Sunday Times reported.

Scheduled to take place from 5 to 14 September this year, the week-long September sitting was introduced as a permanent feature in the Parliamentary calendar after complaints MPs spent too much time away.

But now the measure could be axed, risking a public backlash.

The longer holiday would ease protests from Conservative MPs, who had been told to spend more time in Westminster after the party lost its majority in the House of Commons.

Parliamentary arithmetic means the Tories are expected to rely on the 10 Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) MPs to vote legislation through.

Wonder if they do rise sooner than the scheduled 20th July that will allow the DUP home for the marching on the 12th ?