General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

So JC finally shows he wants a hard brexit... hopefully all the youngsters who voted for him bear this in mind.
Ship builder in Glasgow and one in Hamburg and all that.
JC is a fraud

The latest in a line of things that have pissed me off about him. Trident, his comments about Scotland and the referendum, now this.

He's an illusion hiding behind his stunts.

After he had such an upper hand after the Tories antics yesterday.

To be fair to him he was hiding his pro-Brexit stance very very poorly. There are perfectly valid left-wing reasons to dislike the EU and it was a mild surprise to me that they never came out during the referendum. Pro-EU politics is more commonly centrist than leftist really.

This amendment was nothing more than a vanity trip by Chuku Umunna to keep his leadership ambitions afloat. Laughable that anyone thinks the party at large would fall behind someone suddenly arguing for single market access less than a year after he said he'd scrap it to cut immigration. :lol:

Corbyn has never pretended to be anything other than Euroscepetic - a cursory look at his voting record would confirm this. If anybody voted Labour purely on the basis that he would fight Brexit tooth and nail, maybe politics isn't for you. 

I'm sure Umunna was one of the backbench Labour MPs arguing to prioritise cutting immigration over single market membership only last year, too. If so, this is more than a little bit opportunistic. 

Id never knock back a pay rise but id much rather see the public sector get a boost to employ more cops, nurses, firefighters and update the equipment we use, even though im knocking back money for myself I'd much rather we were given the right tools and resources to do our job, the effect this would have on morale all over the public sector would be immeasurably more than a 5-10% pay rise.

So much this. I, and others like me, resigned myself to never setting another pay rise when the Prison Service restructured ten years ago, and cut my cloth accordingly. Our main problem now is that the odds of getting assaulted at work are now worryingly short, and more than a pay rise we need adequate staffing.

12 hours ago, Paco said:

In light of the vote against a public sector pay increase (tabled by Labour), a competent Scottish Labour leader would be bringing the same kind of motion to the Scottish Parliament to really pressure the SNP. Sturgeon has signalled it'll be on the way out, but it's far from a commitment and SLab could claim the credit.

Wonder if the thought has even crossed Kez's mind?

Maybe this is why,she voted against it

DDfzvWFXsAQPgK7.jpg:large

This amendment was nothing more than a vanity trip by Chuku Umunna to keep his leadership ambitions afloat. Laughable that anyone thinks the party at large would fall behind someone suddenly arguing for single market access less than a year after he said he'd scrap it to cut immigration. :lol:

He sacked them for opposing a hard Brexit.

Ridiculous

Aye aye...

Well it is. Chuku's petulant amendment aimed at destabilising the leadership again after he was overlooked for a shadow cabinet position was rightfully responded to with sackings and a slap down from Corbyn.

Well it is. Chuku's petulant amendment aimed at destabilising the leadership again after he was overlooked for a shadow cabinet position was rightfully responded to with sackings and a slap down from Corbyn.

Sacking them is ridiculous. Especially when Slaughters constituency voted 70 plus remain or something. What about standing up for them? He didn't have to sack them.

You do know "he's not the messiah"?

2 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Corbyn has never pretended to be anything other than Euroscepetic

Like Cleggmania and "Mother" Theresas huge polling lead, political popularity can be a touch ephemeral. Lets see how is staunchly pro European core support and much of the peripheral support he picked up stick with him and he guides Labour to support hard Brexit. 

Tempus fugit. 

I'm a pretty big critic of Corbyn but I think the criticism of him here is disingenuous. He has sacked people from the front bench who disobeyed the whip. Don't get me wrong, I want us to stay in the single market, but Labour ran on a manifesto of leaving and the vote on the amendment was a whipped vote to abstain. He would have been weak if he hadn't reacted.

29 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

I but Labour ran on a manifesto of leaving 

a strong emphasis on retaining the benefits of the Single Market and the Customs Union

Their manifesto emphasized standing up for a soft Brexit. Just like the last manifesto pledged to retain Trident, but that did not stop Corbyn doing everything he could to undermine that. 

Both parties have massive issues on Brexit and both pulled smoke and mirrors tricks on the issue Both will be called on the consequences of that this parliament. 

It's not vindictive to sack people for defying a three line whip. Any leader would have done the same.

That's not saying I agree with him on this issue... I'd rather stay in the Single Market. However, Labour are still in a position where being seen as too soft on Brexit could cost us votes round here and in the North of England.