General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

If the public had voted a Tory majority, then there would have been a billion pounds spare, so it's really the public's fault.

In all seriousness it's an absolute disgrace and they should be fully ashamed of themselves. Every single Tory voter in this country. Especially with the high profile the emergency services have had recently, and the fawning grubby platitudes that these slimy politicians have showered over them in the media, only to stab them in the back the second a meaningful way of showing support arises.

22 minutes ago, Tamdunk said:

If the public had voted a Tory majority, then there would have been a billion pounds spare, so it's really the public's fault.

In all seriousness it's an absolute disgrace and they should be fully ashamed of themselves. Every single Tory voter in this country. Especially with the high profile the emergency services have had recently, and the fawning grubby platitudes that these slimy politicians have showered over them in the media, only to stab them in the back the second a meaningful way of showing support arises.

When you dial 999 before being asked which service you require you should fist be asked if you voted Tory then disconnected if the answer is yes.

No doubt this will usher in the inception of 'national emergency services day' where you can show your support of the public sector, without benefiting them in any way.

Many tory mp's cheered at the result. Imagine having voted for them?

Kezia Dugdale will be delighted that the 13 Tory MPs that she helped to secure in Scotland because they were bitter Yoons like herself proved decisive in maintaining an austerity measure that she whinges about at every opportunity.

Another spectacular failure for Scottish Labour.

Yeah, I'm probably not much better off than you.

No idea whether these things were linked.

Wiki quotes 2 chancellors of the exchequer linking the Big Bang to the financial collapse of 2008 but I don't really know.

TBH I am not sure it is possible to know.

At the end of the day, 2008 happened because of unscrupulous b*****ds doing things like hiding bad debt inside good debt packages.

The Big Bang stuff had many positive side effects and most of us now have comfortable lives as a result of a heap of policy changes around that period.

Positives for many individuals - I agree.

But for society as a whole? I'd say the opposite is true. The 'I'm alright, Jack' mentality screws anyone at the bottom of the pile. The gap between rich and poor grows and society and the idea of communities gets fucked.

Greed is a natural human emotion. But when it's encouraged by the state then we lose our sense of humanity.

Yeah, I'm probably not much better off than you.
No idea whether these things were linked.
Wiki quotes 2 chancellors of the exchequer linking the Big Bang to the financial collapse of 2008 but I don't really know.
TBH I am not sure it is possible to know.
At the end of the day, 2008 happened because of unscrupulous b*****ds doing things like hiding bad debt inside good debt packages.
The Big Bang stuff had many positive side effects and most of us now have comfortable lives as a result of a heap of policy changes around that period.

Yeah loads of people have nice cars and big TVs now...

90% of new cars are bought with finance. Yes, more debt. % is less for used cars but still very high.
I assume it's similar for household goods.
Things are looking up. Only passed two folk sleeping rough on Byres Road this morning.
#goodtimes

Yeah loads of people have nice cars and big TVs now...

90% of new cars are bought with finance. Yes, more debt. % is less for used cars but still very high.
I assume it's similar for household goods.
Things are looking up. Only passed two folk sleeping rough on Byres Road this morning.
#goodtimes

He's right about Thatcher though.

A generation of working class folk bought (or stole) their council house and 10-15 years later made thousands on it. Also the shares stuff - folk gambling on the stock market worked out for some.

This was a massive lift in living standards but you're right - the opening up of credit also played a part. A lot of it is built on a pile of debt.

For those not quite clever or lucky enough the neoliberal model has been shit.

In light of the vote against a public sector pay increase (tabled by Labour), a competent Scottish Labour leader would be bringing the same kind of motion to the Scottish Parliament to really pressure the SNP. Sturgeon has signalled it'll be on the way out, but it's far from a commitment and SLab could claim the credit.

Wonder if the thought has even crossed Kez's mind?

9 minutes ago, Paco said:

In light of the vote against a public sector pay increase (tabled by Labour), a competent Scottish Labour leader would be bringing the same kind of motion to the Scottish Parliament to really pressure the SNP. Sturgeon has signalled it'll be on the way out, but it's far from a commitment and SLab could claim the credit.

Kez and the rest of scot lab where probably cheering along with the tories last night after Corbyn was defeated

I also see a whole bunch of Tory MP's on Twitter claiming that they will end the pay freeze, it's 'coming' but they won't let Labour get the credit and that the vote was solely about 'bringing down the government'.

Uh huh.

7 minutes ago, Paco said:

I also see a whole bunch of Tory MP's on Twitter claiming that they will end the pay freeze, it's 'coming' but they won't let Labour get the credit and that the vote was solely about 'bringing down the government'.

Uh huh.

They better hope that nothing happens before the Autumn statement then, when I guess Hammond will want to take credit for removing the cap. As another terrorist attack etc and this vote will look pretty hellish in the eyes of the public for the coalition of chaos.

26 minutes ago, Paco said:

Much as I would like to see an end to the ps pay freeze. On a finite grant, where is Holyrood gonna find the extra cash for that?

Please don't say they vary the income tax. Westminter want to have us ending up paying more for our services and them paying less. Its the devo scam frequently warned about.

Would suit Scottish liebour to play a bit of opportunistic gesture politics though. They always like a wee snpbad story. Would play well on the bbc as well. Can just see wee Jackie telling us all about it at 6.30pm.

48 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

He's right about Thatcher though.

A generation of working class folk bought (or stole) their council house and 10-15 years later made thousands on it. Also the shares stuff - folk gambling on the stock market worked out for some.

This was a massive lift in living standards but you're right - the opening up of credit also played a part. A lot of it is built on a pile of debt.

For those not quite clever or lucky enough the neoliberal model has been shit.

I was stupid. I put my money in an iSA and always refused ppi. If i had just put my savings in ppi I could have claimed the banks and increased my interst to 10 times my ISA rate.

The country's finances are a mess.
We are spending more than we are bringing in and the debt is getting higher every second.
But you want us to spend money on pay rises for public workers?
Shouldn't we be spending excess money for the public services on improving services rather than pay rises?

What's the point in having better public services if you don't have the staff to run the services.

1-more staff off sick due to increased workload stress.

2-more staff leaving for other jobs because of the workload/increased stress/stagnant pay structure.

3-morale at an all time low due the above and a increasing lack of trust in the government's decision making skills.

4-anger/disgust at the government's continued lack of empathy towards the working class man/women on the street.

Perhaps the Conservatives should look at these issues first.

Uh huh.

It's getting to the point where they are struggling to defend it. They may end it, but if they do it will be because they are tired of being attacked over it, not because they think it's the right thing to do.

Even allowing for that reasoning to be true, it does leave two questions.

1) Why did they cheer for it like they had just done some great thing?

2) Do they really think "we don't want Labour to get the credit" is anything other than a vile reason?

9 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

It's getting to the point where they are struggling to defend it. They may end it, but if they do it will be because they are tired of being attacked over it, not because they think it's the right thing to do.

What happened to jmo1?