General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

On 21/11/2018 at 19:26, Alan Stubbs said:

The Guardian have an extremely annoying relationship with authority.

Despite putting out some of the most clickbaity WUM guff known to man, I give them credit for being one of the only outlets in mainstream UK media who occasionally do some proper journalism as well. For all of their many faults, they still play quite an important role in an otherwise embarrassingly unquestioning, establishment media landscape.

So if you take the one about special interests holding back progress, they do as much as anyone to inform my agreement with that statement. And yet, given their raging stauner for populism, I'm guessing that agreeing with that is supposed to basically make me some sick-of-experts, Carling-guzzling gammon.

Their philosophy seems to involve yearning for third way ccorporatist crooks in charge, so as long as they're polite and pretendy left enough that we can all still tut tut at the people who inevitably follow them into power.

To prove your point they publish this  https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/nov/23/study-shows-60-of-britons-believe-in-conspiracy-theories

If you believe

Even though we live in a what is called a democracy a few people will always run things in this country anyway.

Then you are a mad tin foiler.

Edited by Detournement

My one potentially tin foil hat worthy belief is that the concept/meme of an illuminati is deliberately encouraged by the people who own media corporations.

It's a massively exaggerated version of something that is probably a wee bit true. So it helps the billionaire class to have internet nutters talking about Jay Z, the Clintons and George Soros meeting up to sacrifice goats or whatever (and taking ownership of quotes like the one above).

3 hours ago, Alan Stubbs said:

So it helps the billionaire class to have internet nutters talking about Jay Z, the Clintons and George Soros meeting up to sacrifice the innocent souls of children or whatever (and taking ownership of quotes like the one above).

FTFYM8 :(

6 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
23 hours ago, banana said:
image.png.d540ff20cb86604815262d067e3faafc.png

I was most similar to Pablo Iglesias - itbmust mean that I am diametrically opposed to your man child politics.

A 'Progressive' calling someone a manchild...

tenor.gif?itemid=5113810&key=8ab847dae92

Things flaring up in Crimea again. I've visited West Ukraine a a couple of times recently with work and, granted it was only a handful of young professionals, the people I met are very Western facing and cannot be fucked with Russia. Lovely people who couldnt do enough for you, scunnered with it.

Things flaring up in Crimea again. I've visited West Ukraine a a couple of times recently with work and, granted it was only a handful of young professionals, the people I met are very Western facing and cannot be fucked with Russia. Lovely people who couldnt do enough for you, scunnered with it.
Eastern Ukranians are more pro Russian though ?

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

If the Ukraine bins elections it will be the State Department's crowning glory.

Postponed til the end of March. I said on the other thread it was probably Poroshenko’s best play as he’s no chance of winning it at the moment.

Martial law imposed for 30 days starting on Wednesday along the ten oblasts along the occupied borders. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46358969

Just reading the above story has again reconfirmed that MP's live in cloud cuckoo land and couldn't give a toss about the poorest in society.

Ironically, but not overly surprising, it's a Labour MP who isn't happy that Primark can sell cheap clothing and obviously she would like them to increase their prices.

Save the planet but screw it's citizens......................