General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

20 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39484897

Thousands on 50p-a-week housing benefit - BBC Panorama

Benefits of the union, broad shoulders, etc.

"Welfare delivery minister Caroline Nokes said: "What we sought to do was incentivise work because we know that the outcomes for children will be better if they are in families that are working."

Yeah there are a lot of lazy, workshy b*****ds out there.  There's also lots of folk who genuinely can't get work.  Let's lump them all together and starve their kids and/or drive them into homelessness - that's the solution.

As an aside many of those advocating and supporting this approach will call themselves "Christians".

1 hour ago, Baxter Parp said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/04/liam-fox-meets-philippine-president-rodrigo-duterte

Dismay over Liam Fox's claim of 'shared values' with Duterte's brutal regime

Look who we're cuddling up to now that the EU aren't our best chums.

Arse kissing the Phillippinos and Saudis...Make Britain Great again.

2 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39484897

Thousands on 50p-a-week housing benefit - BBC Panorama

Benefits of the union, broad shoulders, etc.

50p per week is only to those that already claim £20,000  (£23k in London) per annum in benefits.  £20,000 is an obscene amount of money to be getting from the state as a safety net.  Especially when the article clearly points out

Neither of them have worked for almost nine years. Under the rules, the Carmichaels could get their full benefits back if they worked 24 hours a week between them.

Mr Carmichael said he was looking for work, but he has not been able to find a job in the four months since the family was capped.

So nothing stopping him from working, he just couldn't find a job in 9 years.

16 minutes ago, strichener said:

£20,000 is an obscene amount of money to be getting from the state as a safety net. 

Why?  Between how many people? What amount is acceptable?

17 minutes ago, strichener said:

So nothing stopping him from working, he just couldn't find a job in 9 years.

When did using one case as evidence for all cases become acceptable?

12 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

C'mon BP that was the family mentioned in the article.
Man, wife & four bairns.
£20,000 benefits.
I retired 10 years ago and I never ever in my life earned £20,000 in a year.
Changed days.

Just now, Wee Willie said:

C'mon BP that was the family mentioned in the article.
Man, wife & four bairns.
£20,000 benefits.
I retired 10 years ago and I never ever in my life earned £20,000 in a year.
Changed days.

My question was "So what?" That's one case of someone who may or may not have been able to find a job in nine years - you can't apply that to every case.  And £20,000 including rent food power clothes between two adults and four kids is peanuts.

2 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

My question was "So what?" That's one case of someone who may or may not have been able to find a job in nine years - you can't apply that to every case.  And £20,000 including rent food power clothes between two adults and four kids is peanuts./

My question was "So what?"
and my answer was 'changed days'

It could only happen in Wales:

Taxpayers Foot $55,000 Bill for Free Cell Phone Given to Burglar
https://heatst.com/world/taxpayers-foot-55000-bill-for-free-cell-phone-given-to-burglar/

More than £45,000 ($55,000) of taxpayers’ money was spent on the cell phone bill of a criminal who was given the device by police.
The phone was used to run up enormous data charges after being handed over to a burglar in Anglesey, North Wales, while he was out on bail.
The unnamed crook had been given the free device as part of a scheme to help officers keep track of suspects.
But before he was put on trial, and subsequently jailed, he gave it to friends, who kept using it.

4 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

Are you referring to the 50p or the other £384.60 per week that you conveniently omitted?

Are your trying to justify someone not working for 9 years and subsequently having their benefits cut?  What period of time is acceptable to be out of work for whilst claiming the equivalent of the average wage (before statutory deductions)? 

I really don't have sympathy for anyone that has decided to use the welfare system as their main source of income whilst being perfectly able to work.

4 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

You also indicated that £20k is a lot of money and my answer to that was "it depends".

Your answer was - "And £20,000 including rent food power clothes between two adults and four kids is peanuts".

I wouldn't say £20,000 is peanuts. You would need to earn almost £25,000 before tax to clear £20,000.

2 minutes ago, kirkyblue2 said:

So who or what's to blame for Scotland's growth figures going down while the UK's are going up?

Basing monetary policy on the economy of the South East of England.

So who or what's to blame for Scotland's growth figures going down while the UK's are going up?

Just blame the English. It's always their fault. I mean it's not as if it could possibly be the fault of the SNP, left wing wastrels that are meant to be running Scotland.