General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

6 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I was talking to a friend of mine who used to be on Edinburgh Council today and he pointed out that the kind of experienced, decent councillors who one would previously have expected to become their parties’ parliamentary candidates are put off because of the public attention on their private lives that comes with it.

Of course if you’re a narcissistic attention whore then that’s actually an attraction

Those honourable kind of chaps wouldn't accept the daily expenses, bribes and per diems that go with the position of councillor far less that of an MSP or MP.

Pretty sure I’ve answered this for you before, but will indulge you again.
1.  We are presently part of the UK, therefore the government of the UK has an impact upon me/us.
2.  The next U.K. government will either be Labour or Tory; it won’t be anything else.  I prefer Labour.
3.  The internal workings of the Labour Party will determine the type of Labour government we will have.

Not forgetting that Labour trailing the Tories in UK polls will cement the SNP vote.

5 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
11 hours ago, Granny Danger said:
Pretty sure I’ve answered this for you before, but will indulge you again.
1.  We are presently part of the UK, therefore the government of the UK has an impact upon me/us.
2.  The next U.K. government will either be Labour or Tory; it won’t be anything else.  I prefer Labour.
3.  The internal workings of the Labour Party will determine the type of Labour government we will have.

Not forgetting that Labour trailing the Tories in UK polls will cement the SNP vote.

Yes, and a Labour minority government dependent upon SNP support would be our best option.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Yes, and a Labour minority government dependent upon SNP support would be our best option.

The SNP should stay well clear. To enter a governing coalition at Westminster with either of the political ugly sisters at the moment would be extreme stupidity.  

One  would imagine that when HMS Britannia really starts taking on water in the not too distant future, desperate Southern hacks are going to be  looking for someone to blame, who ain't English establishment.

The SNP would be perfect.

37 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

The SNP should stay well clear. To enter a governing coalition at Westminster with either of the political ugly sisters at the moment would be extreme stupidity.  

One  would imagine that when HMS Britannia really starts taking on water in the not too distant future, desperate Southern hacks are going to be  looking for someone to blame, who ain't English establishment.

The SNP would be perfect.

I am certainly not talking about a coalition.  Rather a Labour minority government with the SNP holding the balance of votes.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I am certainly not talking about a coalition.  Rather a Labour minority government with the SNP holding the balance of votes.

This would suit me, tbh. It's difficult to assess the chances of Labour in a snap GE at the moment, with anything from a Labour majority government to a grand coalition possible. I do feel, however, that whatever happens the Tories will be gone for a generation. The question is, what do Mr and Mrs voter want to replace them with?

The most worrying outcome for me would be a situation where the Lib Dems were once again in a position to whore themselves out for a sniff of power. Those fuckers are the most untrustworthy mob ever to have infested Parliament. At least the Tories are cúnts, act like cúnts and don't care when they're called out as cúnts. You can trust the Tories to be Tories, in other words.

2 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

At least the Tories are cúnts, act like cúnts and don't care when they're called out as cúnts. You can trust the Tories to be Tories, in other words.

True. But the c***s in disguise argument mostly fits the labour party in Scotland.  

The libdems are a shower of shite, but labour have more than any party in modern history colluded in stitching the Scottish people up.

Remember this is the party who set up the Scottish parlaiment to prevent independence, to remain subservient to Westminster.

The party that hid our oil wealth and buried McCrone. They have denied Scotland 5 decades of oil wealth...literally trillions of pounds.

The party that re drew the border to steal hundreds of square miles of Scottish sea, thus ensuring the sea border runs somewhere off  Dundee and many North sea installations could be classed as being in England.

The party that followed Thatcherism and..

... gave free reign to deregulated banks.

... in the late 90's, early noughties governed over the biggest rise in household inequality in generations

... saddled future generations with ridiculous debt through dodgy PFI schemes wi their big business mates.

.... literally sold the family silver ( actually the nations gold reserve at stupidly low prices)

The list could go on..and on.

Nah....actually the labour party have been and no doubt are....the biggest hidden danger to the Scottish people.

Like you say at least with a tory you know you are getting a c**t.

The Tories are pushing ahead with their Gerrymander. Funnily enough these changes would have given them a 16 seat majority in a 600 seat Parliament in 2017. Corbyn's seat is abolished :lol:

I doubt they will get it through Parliament but reducing the Commons while the Lords continues to grow is grotesque. As is basing constituency sizes on the numbers of registered voters rather than how many people actually live there.

True. But the c***s in disguise argument mostly fits the labour party in Scotland.   The libdems are a shower of shite, but labour have more than any party in modern history colluded in stitching the Scottish people up. Remember this is the party who set up the Scottish parlaiment to prevent independence, to remain subservient to Westminster.

The party that hid our oil wealth and buried McCrone. They have denied Scotland 5 decades of oil wealth...literally trillions of pounds.

The party that re drew the border to steal hundreds of square miles of Scottish sea, thus ensuring the sea border runs somewhere off  Dundee and many North sea installations could be classed as being in England.

The party that followed Thatcherism and..

... gave free reign to deregulated banks.

... in the late 90's, early noughties governed over the biggest rise in household inequality in generations

... saddled future generations with ridiculous debt through dodgy PFI schemes wi their big business mates.

.... literally sold the family silver ( actually the nations gold reserve at stupidly low prices)

The list could go on..and on.

Nah....actually the labour party have been and no doubt are....the biggest hidden danger to the Scottish people.

Like you say at least with a tory you know you are getting a c**t.

This. We expect the Tories to be c***s - it's par for the course.

The Labour Party in Scotland has excelled itself in being c***s by colluding with the Tories on IndyRef2 and putting Scottish interests at the bottom of the agenda.

15 minutes debate on the devolution elements of the EU Withdrawal Bill caused not by the Tories but by Labour calling for divisions on votes that didn't require divisions.

And don't fucking start me on their abstention fucking strategy in that debate.

C***s the fucking lot of them.

A lot of stuff on SM in recent weeks about the idlib in Syria , looks as if Assad , Russia and Iran have virtually took the country back except the often reported AQ Strong hold of Idlib.

Iran having a foothold in Syria is a redline for Israel ,so how will the US play this?... Chemical attack (again) pretend Idlib was actually just full of freedom fighters all along ?

A new and much more serious attack on Syria is being planned, on pretexts as thin as WMD, which could drag us into a general war in the Middle East, or worse You have almost no time to contact your MP before Parliament goes on holiday. Please act.

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2018/09/please-write-to-your-mp-now-without-delay-war-terrible-war-may-be-on-the-way-again-.html

Edited by Jdog

On 10/09/2018 at 20:06, DeeTillEhDeh said:

This. We expect the Tories to be c***s - it's par for the course.

The Labour Party in Scotland has excelled itself in being c***s by colluding with the Tories on IndyRef2 and putting Scottish interests at the bottom of the agenda.

15 minutes debate on the devolution elements of the EU Withdrawal Bill caused not by the Tories but by Labour calling for divisions on votes that didn't require divisions.

And don't fucking start me on their abstention fucking strategy in that debate.

C***s the fucking lot of them.

I absolutely agree with Labour's performance in Scotland in recent years. Especially when they shared an actual (not metaphorical) platform with the Tories during the Independence campaign. Unforgivable imho.

For me, the biggest fallout from this has been, after years of taking the Scottish voters for granted, Labour decided that the SNP were the enemy, and the Scottish Party were far too slow to feel the wind of change internally, as Corbyn and his policies began to resonate with the wider electorate. I find it tragic that it will take years, if not decades, for Labour to rebuild that trust - even sadder that any resurgence of Labour in Scotland would come as a a consequence of a weakening of the SNP.

Hopefully, after a GE, Labour and the SNP can work together in Westminster to deliver the best for Scotland. A complex issue, but where there's a will...