General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

11 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Boris being very vocal in his swipes at May.Must be making his bid for the top job soon

There are enough votes around to trigger a tory leadership votes, its a question of whether enough pro brexit tories would want to risk a Reese Moog or Boris over May. But if they did Boris's goal is if a leadership bid is triggered then he needs to be 2nd on the votes by MPs to get through the party members. May is very likely to be first or if not her some "sensible" candidate favoured by the majority of MPs. 

My suspicion is that most MPs long term survival insticnt would likely see them collude to get May and a sensible alternative on the final ballot, as Reese Moog or Boris could implode their poll ratings. Though that is baseless other than that they surely love their jobs more than needing a out and out "no deal" maniac in charge. 

Edited by dorlomin

Boris' suicide vest patter.... Deary me. Not even attempting to be subtle anymore.  

VOTE FOR ME, RACISTS OF LITTLE ENGERLUND

I know the "suicide vest" article appeared in the MoS but here is Stewart Lee's take on BJ's Telegraph column... 

Each morning in the small hours, Donald Trump’s bladder slowly fills with urine. The president wakes and looks at his phone in the bathroom while fumbling in his silken sleeping pants for the flesh pyracantha of his genital. He sees something true online and instantly sends off a combative Tweet. Sad! Bleary journalists panic and the fairy tinkling of Donald Trump’s cold night penis dominates the daily American news cycle once more.

Boris Piccaninny Watermelon Letterbox Johnson obviously aims to surf the British news wave in a similar fashion to the orange goblin. But unlike the instantaneous nocturnal pee pee spatterings of Trump, the massive faecal log of Watermelon’s weekly column in the Daily Telegraphtakes a full seven days to bake.

Straining his handbag-pug face into a purple Eton mess each Monday morning, Watermelon temporarily blocks the U-bend of the British news bog with his latest stinking offering, before standing next to the bowl, and gesturing at his produce, like a delighted toddler expecting parental praise for his mastery of basic bowel functions.

The Daily Telegraph clickbait trap is set, Watermelon its mouse-murdering cheese, and the paper’s front-page news headlines duly retrumpet the controversy that the falsehoods of the Boris Piccaninny Watermelon Letterbox Johnson column its own editor chose to run inside have ignited, in an endless loop of lies.

Take back control – buy water, bin the Daily Telegraph

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/sep/09/take-back-control-buy-water-bin-daily-telegraph-johnson

It’s all getting rather public now...

But for someone like Zac Goldsmith to talk about principles after both his Mayoral campaign and standing as a Tory again (despite the govt still backing a third runway) is laughable.

Alan Duncan was also Boris’ deputy at the foreign office, so I’m sure that was a fun working relationship.

IMG_4796.jpg.80cb033a4a9e8804cf0b0a9ca81acee0.jpg

IMG_1536494751.924619.thumb.jpg.b8e4ceeb893632ed5324cf1d19b76dca.jpg

While the usual rule that no single poll is going to give you an accurate picture and that they can only be used to show general direction of the travel of public opinion not the outcome of an elections a couple of interesting ones emerged over the past week.

They seem to show the tories loosing votes to UKIP and Labour to the Lib Dems. Both are likely just "froth" short term blips around the trend of the two being near neck and neck. But they are a bit of a change from the usual. 

2 hours ago, dorlomin said:

While the usual rule that no single poll is going to give you an accurate picture and that they can only be used to show general direction of the travel of public opinion not the outcome of an elections a couple of interesting ones emerged over the past week.

They seem to show the tories loosing votes to UKIP and Labour to the Lib Dems. Both are likely just "froth" short term blips around the trend of the two being near neck and neck. But they are a bit of a change from the usual. 

Chuka Umunna, Tony Blair, Margaret Hodge, Frank Fields, MSM, Zionist apologists - your boys took a hell of a beating.

You will notice that I have listed the enemy and not the opposition.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You are an SNP support, why are you obsessing about the internal workings of another party and talking about it as if it was your party. 

Zionist apologists -

Oh dear, the Jews again. 

Anyhow, the two main parties seem to have begun to leak support for the first time since the 2017 election. The frictions of Brexit that cuts across both main parties is likely to start pulling at the seams. The SNP and LDs at least are generally consistent on the issue. Labour and the tories have big divisions running through them. 

Before the next general election is called the initial Brexit deal will be settled, there will be a new Tory leader, we'll have suffered through 1000s more tedious smears on Corbyn, Universal Credit will be fully implemented and there might even be a new rich people party. Then there will be intense campaigning.

I wouldn't worry too much about polls regardless of who you support.

36 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

You are an SNP support, why are you obsessing about the internal workings of another party and talking about it as if it was your party. 

Pretty sure I’ve answered this for you before, but will indulge you again.

1.  We are presently part of the UK, therefore the government of the UK has an impact upon me/us.

2.  The next U.K. government will either be Labour or Tory; it won’t be anything else.  I prefer Labour.

3.  The internal workings of the Labour Party will determine the type of Labour government we will have.

30 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Before the next general election is called the initial Brexit deal will be settled

You are assuming the government will not fall before March 19.  Especially over a no deal Brexit and a second referendum. 

there will be a new Tory leader, 

Everyone assumed May would be gone by July 17, assumptions again. 

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Pretty sure I’ve answered this for you before, but will indulge you again.

You talk about "the enemy". How are these "the enemy" to the SNP.  Labours internal divisions should make the broadly social democratic SNP appear more popular. 

1 minute ago, dorlomin said:

You talk about "the enemy". How are these "the enemy" to the SNP.  Labours internal divisions should make the broadly social democratic SNP appear more popular. 

I was being sarcastic.  Charles  Gray, former leader of Strathclyde Council, once joked that “those opposite me are the opposition, those behind me are the enemy”. 

It is (another) day for me to educate and enlighten you.

The constant focus on individuals and incidents in UK politics is absolutely tedious.

I was talking to a friend of mine who used to be on Edinburgh Council today and he pointed out that the kind of experienced, decent councillors who one would previously have expected to become their parties’ parliamentary candidates are put off because of the public attention on their private lives that comes with it.

Of course if you’re a narcissistic attention whore then that’s actually an attraction