General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

4 hours ago, beefybake said:

I just think he's someone who makes the right noises, sweet and reasonable..........., but when all is said and done, and this government is dead and gone,

I'm absolutely certain that he will have had just about no discernible positive effect on prisons.  At root, Conservatives are hangers, floggers and punishers.

Not that Labour are better.

Not much to disagree with here either especially the last sentence. "dead and gone" -McGuiness Flint in the 1970s?  Stranraer awaits my visit.

31 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

There was only three wasn't there? 

The recall petition was available for signature to constituents on weekdays from 8 August to 19 September 2018 from 9am to 5pm, with opening hours extended to 9pm on 6 and 13 September, in three centres:

• Joey Dunlop Leisure Centre, Ballymoney
  • Seven Towers Leisure Centre, Ballymena
  • Sheskburn House Recreation Centre, Ballycastle

Those three would cover all of North Antrim, nobody would have been more than 30 minutes drive from one.  Open for 42 days.* You could also have applied to sign by post.

* Excluding weekends.

Edited by Jacksgranda

3 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I bet Ballycastle had significantly more visitors than the other two

Unfortunately for SF, not enough!

There is a significant SF voting base in Ballymena.

Loughguille and Dunloy are 15 minutes from Ballymoney. 

SF had to get half of the combined votes of the UUP, SDLP, Alliance, the TUV and themselves, a fairly big ask, but if all the SF vote and say 75% of the SDLP vote had signed then there was only another 192 needed, not impossible I would have thought if it had been organised properly.

38 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

This is interesting.

Surely if complaints have been received the police are duty bound to make enquiries - especially in a matter as serious as this.

Presumably Theresa May doesn't want the police involved - probably fearful of whatever else might be uncovered or revealed. It's not up to her or her office to consider the matter closed.

Oor Theresa would simply lose all the documents relating to the case. Much like the paedophile documents  she misplaced whilst at the Home Office

29 minutes ago, I'm Brian said:

Oor Theresa would simply lose all the documents relating to the case. Much like the paedophile documents  she misplaced whilst at the Home Office

Or like Blair did prior to all the Iraq inquiries.

I've watched the full video over 100 times now and still can decide whether the actual milkshake dump is funnier than him stomping off in a huff with half a vanilla double thick dripping off his coupon. Can anyone help?

Born-again Brexiters

This group all have their eyes on the biggest prize of all – being on the right side of the Brexit debate when May does eventually step down. The foreign secretary, Jeremy Hunt, was a leading remainer who now says he has changed his mind and would vote leave if he had his time again, blaming the European commission’s “arrogant” behaviour for changing his mind. The home secretary, Sajid Javid, was a natural Eurosceptic who backed remain at the behest of David Cameron but after the vote appeared to regret his decision, which lost him the trust of many Tory Brexiters. He has been treading a careful line between scepticism and loyalty ever since. The defence secretary, Gavin Williamson, previously a low-key remainer, has grown keener on Brexit as the months have gone on, although he has recently kept his counsel. The Treasury chief secretary, Liz Truss, awkwardly for her boss, the chancellor, has had a damascene conversion and is now a fully signed-up leaver. It will not have passed any of them by that the next leader of the Tory party will have to unify MPs as well as win the support of the predominantly Brexiter membership.

Boris is the biggest one of the lot - very pro-European until he realised that wasn't popular with the Tory faithful.

3 hours ago, muirkirk nil said:

Oh Tommy Tommy

Tommy Robinson brings all the milkshakes to his coupon.

Ay thought he was a hardman. Looks a wee bit wet.

Yaxley-Lennon had to escape in a cop car... :lol:

12 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

The antifa-scists are showing themselves up as a bunch of fascists tbh.

Really?  How so?  Are they intimidating and demonising minorities?  Subverting democracy through social media? Showing up at journalists houses and threatening them? 

Edited by Baxter Parp