Scotland's roads; pothole central

It's the time of year - water freezing, melting and refreezing breaks the tarmac up. A couple of years ago the A9 from Inverness was particularly bad. Especially that bit of dual that you can do 100 mph on, the potholes made it quite dangerous.

I've just driven over the Grand Canyon of potholes in Gilmerton. Front passenger tyre is FUBAR, taking a picture tomorrow and sending the bill to the council

Edinburgh council are fuckwits, they can spend £20m on doing up Meadowbank which can wait, but they can't fix the state of the roads.

I think that it's a council plot to get us all to use the highly thought of Edinburgh tram system, if only we all lived/worked on its route.

Grimbo

I've just driven over the Grand Canyon of potholes in Gilmerton. Front passenger tyre is FUBAR, taking a picture tomorrow and sending the bill to the council

Edinburgh council are fuckwits, they can spend £20m on doing up Meadowbank which can wait, but they can't fix the state of the roads.

It's a different sort of hole than we're used to, but you know the drill, pics or GTFO.

They're getting really bad about East Ayrshire too. When driving from Killie to Darvel on Monday I came across a couple that are going to get worse on the one-way system before narrowly dodging a really big one in Hurlford on the Galston Road. There's a pretty bad section of road between Newmilns and Darvel that's subsiding so the council are doing it up, and it's just as well given the state the road surface itself is in. I just try not to think about the damage that it's causing the motor, it's getting silly.

If I was in charge it would probably be the only thing I'd privatise. I'd open up the contract to tender. Toll roads with a cap and scrap road tax. Private companies would then be in charge of maintaining the road, with fines if maintenance is not carried out in a reasonable time frame.

It probably has a few flaws but I've not thought it through

If I was in charge it would probably be the only thing I'd privatise. I'd open up the contract to tender. Toll roads with a cap and scrap road tax. Private companies would then be in charge of maintaining the road, with fines if maintenance is not carried out in a reasonable time frame.

It probably has a few flaws but I've not thought it through

There's more holes in that than our roads ffs

Grimbo

• 8 months later...

Has anyone made a claim due to damage caused to their car by potholes? I hit a monster one last week and my car needs new suspension / springs now. Hard not to put two and two together here so I'm considering making a claim to Edinburgh City Council.

So has anyone done this before and we're you successful / was it easy?

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Has anyone made a claim due to damage caused to their car by potholes? I hit a monster one last week and my car needs new suspension / springs now. Hard not to put two and two together here so I'm considering making a claim to Edinburgh City Council.

So has anyone done this before and we're you successful / was it easy?

1st up can I say no I haven't. 

Why are you only "considering" the claim? You realise if you don't win they don't steal your wife and house.

I seen a figure last year for the amount collectively the councils have been sued for and it's fair to say many people claim and win. 

Good luck.

Only considering it because if the garage says that it's just general wear and tear that has caused these parts to need to be replaced then I might struggle with any claim. I'll give it a shot anyway. Nothing ventured...

Have done this on 2 occasions - first time a tyre got written off and there was no problem - this would be about 5 years ago.

This year I hit a pothole and burst a spring. Put in a claim but it was rejected out of hand. Asked a lot of questions and they refused to answer and came up against the Data Protection Act. Told them they would have to produce the names and information as I was taking the matter to court and they would be witnesses and have to be interviewed. They reveiwed the claim and rejected it as allegedly the hole was not big enough to meet the council's new requirements. Photograph and measure the hole and keep at them.

Intended to pursue a small claim through the courts but abanmdoned it afet a close friend was diagnosed with a tumour and had more to worry about at that time.

Your council will have info re size of hole beore they pay out. They will fioll you will bullshit to try and deter you but pursue it and work it up them.

2 hours ago, RiG said:

Only considering it because if the garage says that it's just general wear and tear that has caused these parts to need to be replaced then I might struggle with any claim. I'll give it a shot anyway. Nothing ventured...

That's the spirit.

Archived