Best foreign player to have played in the Scottish Top Flight

With Larsson going on to play for United and Barca puts him in front of Diego maradonas strike partner and footballing God Claudio Caniggia.

Beto Carranza was very very special. Shame with so many injuries. Was he ever capped for Argentina. Sure he got a few?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you go back to the late 60's and early 70's (yes I'm not a silly wee laddie/lassie like so many of you) there were a few Scandinavians in Scotland, pretty sure Morton had some good ones, I know Aberdeen had Ravn and Boel and others. It's not all Laudrup and Larsson you know!

If you go back to the late 60's and early 70's (yes I'm not a silly wee laddie/lassie like so many of you) there were a few Scandinavians in Scotland, pretty sure Morton had some good ones, I know Aberdeen had Ravn and Boel and others. It's not all Laudrup and Larsson you know!

Keep it on topic, it's Larsson>Laudrup or else don't contribute please.

You're welcome Davie Bhoy

I'm sure it was you. If you look back you'll find it.

Yes, I mentioned Paul McStay as an example to an argument someone put up....not as a suggestion to the question. Anyone who reads the post should quite easily be able to come to that conclusion!

With Larsson going on to play for United and Barca puts him in front of Diego maradonas strike partner and footballing God Claudio Caniggia.

Beto Carranza was very very special. Shame with so many injuries. Was he ever capped for Argentina. Sure he got a few?

I think it's always been a bit of a myth that Larsson was some sort of resounding success at those clubs just because he had a hand in the goal in the CL final after coming on as a sub. No mean feat granted but his times at they clubs were pretty minimal and basically restricted to a a handful of substitute appearances.

Still a great player mind you.

GVB was absolutely class and did get plenty plaudits, but was perhaps kind of overshadowed.

Barry Ferguson was the main man at the time, finding good form and being the great young Scottish hope in the eyes of many, though personally I'd suggest playing alongside GVB was actually the making of Barry Ferguson.

Jorg Albertz also used to garner much of the attention and plaudits at the time too given his love for unleashing 100mphv thunderb*****ds from 30 yards out, with a decent rate of success.

Different positions and players of course but I'd suggest GVB was a better player than Henrik Larsson and could thrive at a higher level more consistently than Larsson. Which I think basically his career shows. Very underrated player.

Has to be Brian Laudrup. The story about him knocking back interest from Barcelona and answering in the affirmative when asked whether he preferred Brockville on a Tuesday night to the Nou Camp sums up that something very unusual happened in his case.

Probably the fact he was getting £50k tax free every week

Edit: I've changed my mind, Laudrup is the best foreigner to have played in Scotland. Clearly a class above anyone else and hopefully my fellow p and b'rs agree.

Laudrup then Gio Van Bronckhorst then Larsson IMO

I had totally forgotten about GVB- pure class.

Archived