Arbroath v Clyde

A dire time for us all the past year. I can only hope we will all be rewarded for this shite one day.

I hope all you guys stick with it. I started supported Clyde during the season we beat Celtic and after the game, my dad said to me "Enjoy this day because it'll never get any better than this". Needless to say, he's been right so far. Although, it's a funny thing football. It's not always much fun supporting teams at this level, but we choose to support our respective team's through the good and the bad and every now and then, you'll get a day, or a season, that makes sticking with it through the bad times seem worth it.

Onto tomorrow, I really hope I'm wrong, but I'm just not feeling a Clyde win tomorrow purely because we should, on paper, win. However, I would be absolutely delighted if the team could prove me wrong and I hope that the team receive another good backing from everyone who travels up. It would be a big three points if we could pick up a win tomorrow.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if gemmel hits from we will win

we don't have a great record at arbroath but confident we can get a win

good to see BF acknowledge the support the team got on Tuesday credit to him he always does give fans credit more than can be said for previous managers

Walk in the park, big Greg will saunter in back from the dead and notch a couple and 90% of the Arbroath support will be raging that 'loser Lumsden' has won a game and demand we play two upfront.

Just because people dislike Lumsden I'm pretty sure they don't want us to get beat... I will never back the guy again now but I don't want the team to get beat because of that.

It's getting to quite a serious stage, out of the 6 games we have coming up tomorrow and in March the only one I'm confident about is the Shire home one, and look what happened Tuesday.

Also not sure why you're having a go at people wanting to see a change of system after watching turgid shite all year by playing the same way and getting bad results in the process.

All this negativity about the Arbroath team is getting me more worried about the game. Like some have said before, we always seem to get beat when teams haven't won in ages or expect to get pumped.

Looking forward to it nonetheless, haven't been to Arbroath for a couple of seasons now! Bring it on!

Just because people dislike Lumsden I'm pretty sure they don't want us to get beat... I will never back the guy again now but I don't want the team to get beat because of that.

It's getting to quite a serious stage, out of the 6 games we have coming up tomorrow and in March the only one I'm confident about is the Shire home one, and look what happened Tuesday.

Also not sure why you're having a go at people wanting to see a change of system after watching turgid shite all year by playing the same way and getting bad results in the process.

In the last few weeks, I have heard, or spoken too, a whole host of people who have said they would be all too happy to see us lose games to 'rid us' of the current management for the 'greater good'. I agree with you, I don't think they want to see us get beat, I think it's just a lot of hot air and the vast majority of us (Arbroath fans) want us to win football games, despite the pish that is spouted.

In terms of our formation and tactics, I agree that Todd has been far too defensive over the course of the season. However, the ongoing abuse about playing 'one upfront' is, frankly, absolute horseshit. I have said it time and time again, playing a 4-2-3-1 can be FAR more attacking than a blanket 4-4-2. The concept that playing 'only 1' upfront is defensive is ludicrous. Todd has been a very defensive minded manager, but it has very little to do with the formation.

I can only imagine the seethe that Spain's World Cup winning 4-6-0 would have created down Gayfield.....:blink: :blink: :blink:

In the last few weeks, I have heard, or spoken too, a whole host of people who have said they would be all too happy to see us lose games to 'rid us' of the current management for the 'greater good'. I agree with you, I don't think they want to see us get beat, I think it's just a lot of hot air and the vast majority of us (Arbroath fans) want us to win football games, despite the pish that is spouted.

In terms of our formation and tactics, I agree that Todd has been far too defensive over the course of the season. However, the ongoing abuse about playing 'one upfront' is, frankly, absolute horseshit. I have said it time and time again, playing a 4-2-3-1 can be FAR more attacking than a blanket 4-4-2. The concept that playing 'only 1' upfront is defensive is ludicrous. Todd has been a very defensive minded manager, but it has very little to do with the formation.

I can only imagine the seethe that Spain's World Cup winning 4-6-0 would have created down Gayfield.....:blink: :blink: :blink:

Aye so you'll agree that parts actually just hot air then? Stuff said because of their dislike towards the management team. I'm sure nobody actually wants us to lose games I'm just sure everybody wants rid of Todd and his clown side kick.

But the one up top has been very defensive and hasn't been attacking, maybe he just hasn't got the ability to get the players to play that way or maybe the players aren't capable but it's definitely not worked. Fucking striker stranded up top by himself with nobody near him most of the game making it easier for the other team to get the ball back before then walking their way through our lightweight midfield. The fact we seem to punt it up all the time doesn't help this either. So yes it is partly to do with the formation. Even just putting somebody else up top could help take the pressure off us by putting their defence under pressure.

And anybody playing 4-6-0 in the Scottish 3rd division would rightly be ripped stinking.

Aye so you'll agree that parts actually just hot air then? Stuff said because of their dislike towards the management team. I'm sure nobody actually wants us to lose games I'm just sure everybody wants rid of Todd and his clown side kick.

But the one up top has been very defensive and hasn't been attacking, maybe he just hasn't got the ability to get the players to play that way or maybe the players aren't capable but it's definitely not worked. Fucking striker stranded up top by himself with nobody near him most of the game making it easier for the other team to get the ball back before then walking their way through our lightweight midfield. The fact we seem to punt it up all the time doesn't help this either. So yes it is partly to do with the formation. Even just putting somebody else up top could help take the pressure off us by putting their defence under pressure.

And anybody playing 4-6-0 in the Scottish 3rd division would rightly be ripped stinking.

The players on our books have fallen short of the tactics we've played, there is no doubt about that. I also think our players have been set up not to concede as opposed to score for more games than it should have been the case this year. Aside from this, in terms of formations, a 4-2-3-1 can be, and in our case at times has been (which in certain games has been our downfall from a lack of tracking from midfield) far more attacking than a 4-4-2.

The whole concept of '4-4-'fucking'-two' being more attacking than a formation with six attacking midfielders is a Mike Bassett parody. I'm not disagreeing that we have been far too defensive, but the perception of a 1 up top formation is wrong in my opinion. As I got at before, teams have won World Cups playing '0' upfront. It's not about the formation, it's about how the players within the formation are instructed to play the game, and if they are up to it or not.

We're not struggling to attack due to our formation, infact in my opinion we're designed to attack with two attack minded wide men, a proper number 10 and a striker, It could easily be argued (not by me) that we play a 4-2-1-3. The reason we don't appear attack minded enough is that we have players trying to do jobs/ create that unfortunately aren't suited/ don't have the ability to do so.

The tactics/ formation aren't the issue. It is the roles within that the players we have aren't able to fufill. It seems fairly obvious to me that Todd has an idea of what he wants, but his recruitment has let him down bigtime. It is time to people to stand up and be accounted for.

I would imagine that most clubs at this level would struggle to have too many formations, and/or indeed the players who have the ability to adapt to them from week to week let alone during a match. What is undeniable however is that Lumsden is very poor at man management and that's what allows people who are managing/coaching teams in the lower reaches of the Scottish Leagues to be winners. I am 100% sure that you could take someone from a strong managerial position outside of football supported by a good 2IC who has a footballing background, and they could get a better result than at present ,no matter what the formation is. Finally clubs like Rangers with Warburton and MK Dons with Robinson have proved that intelligent men who were not top level players have the ability to manage in the new era and thinking differently , whilst achieving very impressive results. There is nobody that can condone or except our current managers win/loss ratios over the last 2 seasons ( and yes let's include his time as assistant manager as we should), it's basically diabolical. I have the stats somewhere but not to hand but am pretty sure it's circa 38% in losses in the last 2 seasons. So let's support the team and the players in the pitch every week, and I am convinced that the Arbroath Board will be as dejected and disappointed as the rest of us, and will make the correct decision regarding the managerial position when the time comes.

More importantly let's keep the players we want and get them signed up for next season to add to two excellent captures of Whatley and LInn. Fleming, Little, Lowdon, Rutherrford ,Hester , Stewart are just a few I would like for next season in the 2nd Div . The big challenge is making a decision on the manager if needed before the end of the season as we don't want to be going into our penultimate game against Montrose in the play off places at the bottom ,and fighting to stay in this league. Always be a Lichtie through and through , so SImonLIchtie I for one, want a victory tomorrow.

A Mark Whately misplaced pass in the 2nd minute will see the idiots in our support vent their anger at the management and continue with it for the rest of the afternoon. If these "supporters" don't want to back the side (management included) then they should stay away this afternoon.

As if Clyde don't have our own problems, a change seems as good as a rest. Supporters who blindly ignore every other aspect of the game except going mental at a goal or a win, are as crucial to the cause as those wanting the manager hung from the floodlights. But as 1888 says, the supporters clearly aren't stupid....thr manager's poor decisions and formations have led to the easiest-placed club in the division languishing in the lower half all year. Why should he be happy with things as they are, without core evidence that even in this tught, taught shitty division, there aopears little to f**k all chance of his team competing, properly? I'd appreciate more Clyde fans having LisburnLichtie's attitude than what we need to listen to every time something goes wrong. f**k the Jags.

Well," Pingu". I enjoy your "balanced" posts but on this one I'm struggling as I cannot find a post by 1888 nor LisburnLichtie both of whose thoughts you mention. This means I don't know the views of either on this thread. Ergo I cannot reply as I am not fully informed. Can you point out the relevant posts for me?

Archived