Raith Rovers vs. Queen of the South Tuesday, 8th March 4th v 5th Battl

We played as poorly as we have all season for the first 45 minutes last night. We played as poorly for probably the first 20 minutes in the home draw with Falkirk but shook it off and played really well in the rest of the game. Last night unfortunately we only raised it to average for the second 45 minutes. We did ok that half but Raith didn't have to over commit having already got themselves comfortably in front and we didn't look an awful lot like scoring.

People can talk about the formations and selections all they like and it's obviously fair game (though anyone who thinks Lyle should have started after three weeks out injured and a day or two's training is kidding themselves) but no amount of tactical debate changes the fact both goals were handed to Raith, quite literally in the case of the second one. Raith played decently without actually having to do anything clever to get the win. I thought Connolly in particular did well but all over the park they were sharper to every loose ball and their passing was better on a difficult surface.

It's the third successive year we've had a midweek trip to Raith at the back end of the season and we've been shocking in all of them. I thought we were damned unlucky to only have one point from the first two games against Raith but no complaints at all last night. Comfortably second best. It is indeed going to be very difficult to get 4th spot now. Anything we get at Ibrox or Easter Road would be a bonus so we've 8 other games left and unless Rovers collapse now (which seems unlikely) we'd need to win 5 or 6 of them to have a chance. It's likely I'll have to give Northfield £1.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We all have a view of opposition players and as Pride of Fife says ............many of our best players were left out.

Opposition fans invariably know who the best players are - unfortunately most of ours were being "rested".

"Rested" raises the question for what? Our amazing cup run(s)?!

As has been said many times now, it was the team selection and not a single decent chance in 90 mins that is getting me down.

I am OK with a mid table finish 5-6th this season, as I have said all the way through and I am prepared to say the the manager

has got more right than not this season but, after last night, I am seriously thinking I'll just pitch up for my season ticket home games now,

even if all the away games are easier for me to get to from Embra.

Yours sincerely,

P!ssed off.

"Rested" raises the question for what? Our amazing cup run(s)?!

As has been said many times now, it was the team selection and not a single decent chance in 90 mins that is getting me down.

I am OK with a mid table finish 5-6th this season, as I have said all the way through and I am prepared to say the the manager

has got more right than not this season but, after last night, I am seriously thinking I'll just pitch up for my season ticket home games now,

even if all the away games are easier for me to get to from Embra.

Yours sincerely,

P!ssed off.

Nobody was rested. Fowler said on the podcast that he stuck with the same 11 that started the Hibs game. He also admitted that was the wrong decision.

Can Queens kick on next midweek after winning at home to Hibs and get ahead of Raith and into the play-offs?

That would be a definite NO after last night, then.

Thought we were still poor in midfield toshney was more playing head tennis that bring it down and find a pass. Cragian made loads of mistakes then disappeared for the last 20min. If it was not for hardie it would of prob Finnished 0-0. We were lucky queens were a lot worse than us. Would love to see hardie and Harry up front together both looked good and great close control in the box gave the defenders a hard time.

Thought we were still poor in midfield toshney was more playing head tennis that bring it down and find a pass. Cragian made loads of mistakes then disappeared for the last 20min. If it was not for hardie it would of prob Finnished 0-0. We were lucky queens were a lot worse than us. Would love to see hardie and Harry up front together both looked good and great close control in the box gave the defenders a hard time.

Bloody hell you're hard to please! 

I actually thought we dominated the midfield. Yes we could have been better but I think you're criticism of Toshney and Criagan is over the top. Craigan maybe missed a few paces but he ran his socks off last night and was always involved. It seems he's become an easy target for some fans and I seriously don't get it.

Harry has done absolutely nothing to warrant a start. Stewart's on form at the minute and your talking about dropping him..?

It's funny how different fans see the games, you think "we were like lucky queens were a lot worse than us" I thought our movement of the ball at times in that game was excellent. That was probably our best overall performance in a long time.

Callachan had by far his best game since the start of the season. I probably wouldn't have picked him as MotM though..Stewart or Connolly would have gotten it for me.

Thomson( Queens keeper) kept the score respectable. Hardie had 2 power drives in the second half that Thomson did really well at both to tip them round the post.. And then he also made a really good save at Callachans low powerful strike as well..so would probably say he was Queens best player last night. The only save I remember Cuthbert making, was Lyles 30 yard strike in the second half which was straight at him. I don't think he'll have an easier game this season.

Thomson( Queens keeper) kept the score respectable. Hardie had 2 power drives in the second half that Thomson did really well at both to tip them round the post.. And then he also made a really good save at Callachans low powerful strike as well..so would probably say he was Queens best player last night. The only save I remember Cuthbert making, was Lyles 30 yard strike in the second half which was straight at him. I don't think he'll have an easier game this season.

Agree with this, though it's worth mentioning Cuthbert flapped at a first half corner with the score 1-0 at the time and was lucky Tapping hit the resulting loose ball over the top rather than on target.

Harry has done absolutely nothing to warrant a start. Stewart's on form at the minute and your talking about dropping him..?

It's funny how different fans see the games, you think "we were like lucky queens were a lot worse than us" I thought our movement of the ball at times in that game was excellent. That was probably our best overall performance in a long time.

Callachan had by far his best game since the start of the season. I probably wouldn't have picked him as MotM though..Stewart or Connolly would have gotten it for me.

His save from Hardie's long range drive was the best. I could have saved Callachan's effort to be fair. Although he did have a good game.

Don't worry, the Pars will do as they always do. Spend spend spend. Then hopefully when they go into admin again then they'll die for good.

Not happening but you keep chasing that dream fella.

Meanwhile, in other news, your team is doing really well this season & 4th would be a brilliant achievement.

Not happening but you keep chasing that dream fella.

Meanwhile, in other news, your team is doing really well this season & 4th would be a brilliant achievement.

Will see shall we. It's ok annihilating part timers, your coming back to the Championship and you'll have to strengthen big time.

Fantastic season from the Rovers; looking good for 4th. Bit of a minter that we got almost double your crowd tonight for Albion Rovers at home though...

What's your point, Rangers used to get over 40,000 for games in League 1?

Nobody was rested. Fowler said on the podcast that he stuck with the same 11 that started the Hibs game. He also admitted that was the wrong decision.

I`ll take your word he said that. Not sure I can be bothered to listen to the podcast TBH. If that is what he said it`s not accurate though given Russell started up front that night not Hilson.

It was same system but not the same personnel.

I`ll take your word he said that. Not sure I can be bothered to listen to the podcast TBH. If that is what he said it`s not accurate though given Russell started up front that night not Hilson.

It was same system but not the same personnel.

He said one change to the team.

Having watched the LOWLIGHTS on Raith website, we lost 2 poor goals, Brownlie at fault for the first and at fault for great scoring chance b4 that too, hopefully last we see of him bombscare! 2nd goal pen well nowt much can sat about that. Hope the manager has reflected on last night disaster and has realised a big mistake in playing Brownlie (not good enough) Tapping who surely can't be match fit, young Pickard who's due a spell on the bench and Conroy Yes who! get Lyle Russell Murdoch Harris and Oliver on from the start and have a bloody go at winning a game, not going for damage limitation, In Fowlers podcast once again he blames lack of effort! Well you know what pick players that Will give you effort!

Archived