The Race For Top 6

272 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Appartently teams in the top 6 arent allowed bad runs of form. We always seem to have one around November/December

In the last couple of years, we had them from January onwards.

Sadly this year, we had it from the previous January onwards.

there is not once decent side in the Premiership this season, which is why it's so congested in the middle as everyone is distinctly average at best.

I'm not going to comment on the standard this season, as it's my first season in the country in a decade, so I've not witnessed anything in person that I can reasonably compare it to.

But your argument above is not going to convince me either way.

If everyone in Spain's top flight played like Barcelona, the legue would end up congested.

If everyone in Spain's top flight played like East Stirlingshire, the league would end up congested.

Appartently teams in the top 6 arent allowed bad runs of form. We always seem to have one around November/December

This. Say what you want about Hartley and Wright but it's important to note that both have a talent of coming through these bad runs without actually doing much damage (as a lot of draws are picked up).

After our Derby hammerings last year, we heard from all on here about how we were collapsing to the relegation spots for quite a while and no one noticed that on both occasions, we actually went on very good unbeaten runs and pulled away.

You should be shit around just under less than half the time to finish top 6 anyway.

Untitled_zps5nqwvywo.png

Another round of fixtures gone and the top half remains the same. You could rule Killie out now I suppose?

Firhill's hardly unique in the sense that it's a mess. I can't see for the life of me how we gain an advantage over other teams because of it.

Victoria Park, Tannadice, Tynecastle, Fir Park and even Celtic Park are all a state.

I was being facetious, Hammer Jag.

Partick Thistle failing to get any points against Aberdeen tonight is a bit of a boost for the teams hanging onto the top 6 spots. Tomorrow's game I think is one of the most crucial between Caley and St J.

From our next three matches (which are our two games in hand vs. Hearts and Aberdeen, plus Celtic), we could realistically come away with 0 points.

So if that was the case we'd probably need to pick up, what, around 8 or 9 points from Hamilton (a), Kilmarnock (h), Dundee United (h), Ross County (a) to make it?

Sorry Slacker, red-dotted you by mistake. Will put it right elsewhere.

As regards the standard of the top flight, I would say I noticed a bit of a drop when ICT came back up in 2010 compared to the first time in 2004.

Partick Thistle failing to get any points against Aberdeen tonight is a bit of a boost for the teams hanging onto the top 6 spots. Tomorrow's game I think is one of the most crucial between Caley and St J.

Yet will likely be our lowest attendance of the season. Weird how things pan out sometimes.

We're in the top 6 on the back of one excellent run of form between September and early December. We started the season poorly and the run since then is more the norm than that. Obviously not ruling out top 6 for us because, when the chips are down, we've got previous for pulling the necessary results out the hat. We need something to spark us into life in the next 5 games (ICT, County, Dundee United at home, Hearts and Kilmarnock away). Not an easy run, but equally could've been a lot worse for us.

Also a boost for 4th sneaking into Europe which requires an Aberdeen title and Celtic cup win OR Inverness to reach 3rd and win the cup.

I thought 4th got Europe if Celtic done the double? Cup runners up don't get in anymore if the winners have qualified, hence St Johnstone getting in ahead of Falkirk this season.

Still sticking with County, Dundee, and ICT.

We need to many other results to go our way even if we pick up 12 points after the celtic game.

Narrowly missing out on top 6 for us - would love to be wrong but we really needed to pick up 2-3 points from hearts and aberdeen to still be in it.

We need to many other results to go our way even if we pick up 12 points after the celtic game.

Narrowly missing out on top 6 for us - would love to be wrong but we really needed to pick up 2-3 points from hearts and aberdeen to still be in it.

12 points from the last 15 would be almost certain to get you in seeing as Ross County, Saints and ICT all play each other, We play Ross County and Motherwell face Inverness (along with Celtic and Aberdeen). 

I thought 4th got Europe if Celtic done the double? Cup runners up don't get in anymore if the winners have qualified, hence St Johnstone getting in ahead of Falkirk this season.

Still sticking with County, Dundee, and ICT.

Only if the winners have qualified for Europa League, if the winners are in the Champions League then the cup runner up gets into Europe. (At least I'm pretty sure that is how it works)

Only if the winners have qualified for Europa League, if the winners are in the Champions League then the cup runner up gets into Europe. (At least I'm pretty sure that is how it works)

The entry of Scottish clubs to UEFA’s club competitions for Season 2016/17 is determined by reference to the UEFA Country Ranking at the end of Season 2014/15.

At that time, Scotland was ranked 23. This provides access for three clubs through their Scottish Professional Football League position at the end of this Season and one club through this Season’s Scottish Cup.

As a result of that ranking, Scottish entrants to UEFA’s competitions for 2016/17 will be as follows:

Ladbrokes Premiership Champions

Champions League qualifying round 2 (Champions pathway)

Scottish Cup winners*

Europa League qualifying round 2

Ladbrokes Premiership runners-up

Europa League qualifying round 1

Ladbrokes Premiership third place

Europa League qualifying round 1

* If the Scottish Cup is also won by the Premiership champions then the Scottish Cup berth will go to the Premiership runners-up and the fourth-placed club in the Premiership will also qualify for the Europa League.

The entry of Scottish clubs to UEFA’s club competitions for Season 2016/17 is determined by reference to the UEFA Country Ranking at the end of Season 2014/15. At that time, Scotland was ranked 23. This provides access for three clubs through their Scottish Professional Football League position at the end of this Season and one club through this Season’s Scottish Cup. As a result of that ranking, Scottish entrants to UEFA’s competitions for 2016/17 will be as follows: Ladbrokes Premiership Champions Champions League qualifying round 2 (Champions pathway) Scottish Cup winners* Europa League qualifying round 2 Ladbrokes Premiership runners-up Europa League qualifying round 1 Ladbrokes Premiership third place Europa League qualifying round 1 * If the Scottish Cup is also won by the Premiership champions then the Scottish Cup berth will go to the Premiership runners-up and the fourth-placed club in the Premiership will also qualify for the Europa League.

The entry of Scottish clubs to UEFA’s club competitions for Season 2016/17 is determined by reference to the UEFA Country Ranking at the end of Season 2014/15. At that time, Scotland was ranked 23. This provides access for three clubs through their Scottish Professional Football League position at the end of this Season and one club through this Season’s Scottish Cup. As a result of that ranking, Scottish entrants to UEFA’s competitions for 2016/17 will be as follows: Ladbrokes Premiership Champions Champions League qualifying round 2 (Champions pathway) Scottish Cup winners* Europa League qualifying round 2 Ladbrokes Premiership runners-up Europa League qualifying round 1 Ladbrokes Premiership third place Europa League qualifying round 1 * If the Scottish Cup is also won by the Premiership champions then the Scottish Cup berth will go to the Premiership runners-up and the fourth-placed club in the Premiership will also qualify for the Europa League.

It may be there and I'm just not seeing it... Does your above outline explain what happens if the Scottish Cup is won by the Premiership runners-up, rather than the champions?

Its still a joke the SC winners enter a round after the runners up in the league.

Dundee United could be sitting waiting to play a European tie as a Championship side when the league runners up have kicked off their campaign.

It may be there and I'm just not seeing it... Does your above outline explain what happens if the Scottish Cup is won by the Premiership runners-up, rather than the champions?

My explanation came from the SPFL website. It does not say what happens if the Premiership runners-up win the Scottish cup. But it would be logical that if the league runners-up win the Scottish cup, then they would take the cup place(enter Europa league in round 2) rather than entering in round 1. Fourth placed team in league would therefore also qualify for Europe.

It appears May1 is correct from the SPFL website but that was not the situation when Hibs were the runners up to Celtic in 2013.

Can anybody find a news report or SPFL article announcing the change?

Interestingly the 2014/15 European qualification page is referenced on wikipedia but when clicked it produces an error page on the SPFL website... some sort of conspiracy going on

Archived