St Mirren v Queen of the South 12/3/16

queens fans should be happy with a mid table finish. Small club punching above their weight for years now

Are you seriously going there considering the season your team has had? :huh:

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you seriously going there considering the season your team has had? :huh:

This is our worst season in 25 years, we are terrible. Still though, nine out of twelve.

Am I right in saying that QOTS and Morton are the only two full time sides in Scotland not to have played in the top flight since 1990?

Why you think that is?

This is our worst season in 25 years, we are terrible. Still though, nine out of twelve.

Am I right in saying that QOTS and Morton are the only two full time sides in Scotland not to have played in the top flight since 1990?

Why you think that is?

Well we've only been full-time for a decade and for most of that, this league had to be won for promotion. In fact, even if we'd done that, it's likely we wouldn't have been allowed up.

We've only had much chance for the last two seasons, and reached the play-offs each time.

A bit of context, helps make some more sense of the bald statement about 1990.

Didn't deserve to loss that game but it's the way it's going at the moment we had a few chances and had the most possession only for St Mirren to beat us 2-1 with one shot on target the whole game!

Shanklands disallowed goal, Gow's volley saved by your keeper and Gallagher's volley from outside the box, and Mallan's Free kick were all optical ellusions then?

Shanklands disallowed goal, Gow's volley saved by your keeper and Gallagher's volley from outside the box, and Mallan's Free kick were all optical ellusions then?

I'm convinced that the BBC stat is wrong.

However, would the disallowed goal one - albeit the circumstances sound unusual - not be disqualified from counting as a shot on target?

I'm convinced that the BBC stat is wrong.

However, would the disallowed goal one - albeit the circumstances sound unusual - not be disqualified from counting as a shot on target?

A disallowed goal doesnt count and the last two were off target.

Pretty sure the shot that led to the deflection, which led to Shankland sticking it in would count as a shot on target.

Why you think that is?

They haven't played in the top division since 1964

They haven't played in the top division since 1964

Fucking hell.

Would love to see the list of teams who have played in the top flight more recently than QOTS.

I know such luminaries as Clydebank and Gretna are in there :lol:

Fucking hell.

Would love to see the list of teams who have played in the top flight more recently than QOTS.

Fucking hell.

They have played in the Scottish Cup final more recently than most...which kinda balances it out a wee bit.

Pretty sure the shot that led to the deflection, which led to Shankland sticking it in would count as a shot on target.

I know that technically you are right (presuming it actually was on target? I couldn't see from where I was). However, the statisticians wouldn't count it as one as someone else played it before it got there and it was then offside. I'm not convinced they count shots blocked by defenders as shots on target either unless they actually clear them off the line itself.

For what it's worth I can only recall two St Mirren shots on target all game, one being the penalty, and the other Gow's effort in injury time. That said, I don't know that we were much better. Oliver's headed goal and the late deflected effort from Higgins apart I'm struggling to think of much on target. It wasn't a bad game really, and I did think we played reasonably well, light years ahead of how we played on Tuesday, but the keepers weren't massively overworked.

If we don't get 4th this season, and it's looking less and less likely now, then we have to look back on our results against St Mirren (and Raith) as much of the reason for it. We were poor against St Mirren at Palmerston and deserved to lose but for me we didn't deserve to lose either of the games at Paisley and probably should have won today. Likewise as awful as we were on Tuesday I thought we were the better side in the first two Raith games but got just one point.

Fucking hell.

Not having a go at any of these teams, why would I given this post "celebrates" our dismal failure to be in the top flight for 50+ years but the following some of whom have fallen on harder times of late have also been top flight more recently than us.

Dumbarton, Clyde, Stirling Albion, Third Lanark , Ayr United, Arbroath, Cowdenbeath, Airdrie, East Fife, 

Hell Meadowbank nearly made it.

Archived