Gender Pay Gap

A recent government report stated that a gender pay gap still exists in the UK.

I cant get my head around how this can be the case. When a job is advertised the salary is listed, there aren’t  two different salaries listed for men and woman.

Most jobs now the Salary isn’t even mentioned and it is up to you to negotiate your salary upon being offered the job. So is it a case of Woman not negotiating as well as Men? Or is there another issue I am missing?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cant get my head around how this can be the case. When a job is advertised the salary is listed, there aren’t  two different salaries listed for men and woman.

Most jobs now the Salary isn’t even mentioned and it is up to you to negotiate your salary upon being offered the job. So is it a case of Woman not negotiating as well as Men? Or is there another issue I am missing?

Nope

I cant get my head around how this can be the case. When a job is advertised the salary is listed, there aren’t two different salaries listed for men and woman.

So is the salary listed or not even mentioned?

Being the highest earner in my family, I should fucking well hope so.

As a female you are probably in the best position to comment on this. Have you ever noticed a difference in pay between yourself and your male counterparts?

My view is that if a gap in pay does exist it is down to lots of different factors and not primarily gender.

There's an ongoing pay equality case at the moment involving Asda. It's around the pay male warehouse workers get for night shift compared to what female shop workers get for night shift, for basically doing the same job but only in reverse. 

As far as I know Asda look favourites to lose the case which will no doubt cost them quite a few million quid.

There's an ongoing pay equality case at the moment involving Asda. It's around the pay male warehouse workers get for night shift compared to what female shop workers get for night shift, for basically doing the same job but only in reverse. 

As far as I know Asda look favourites to lose the case which will no doubt cost them quite a few million quid.

There will be people in my company who get paid more than me for doing the same job but It will be down to them negotiating a better starting salary and any increase due to performance reviews throughout the years. There will also be people on lower salary for the same reasons, nothing to do with gender

I'd have a look at gender split in university courses as well. I think my current workplace had a study on the subject when they revealed they were looking to increase the number of women in leadership roles.

Positive discriminatory pish.

If there are specific examples of similarly performing people in similar jobs receiving notably different pay across various industries then fair enough but in my line of work I think one accepted conclusion was that there's simply not enough women actually applying for the jobs.

it was reported that at the current rate of "progress" it would take another 50 years for this gap to be eliminated. And there will still be c***s arguing that we have a fair and balanced society.

As a female you are probably in the best position to comment on this. Have you ever noticed a difference in pay between yourself and your male counterparts?

My view is that if a gap in pay does exist it is down to lots of different factors and not primarily gender.

Where I work just now, all nurses, male or female, night or day shift, regardless of length of service, are on the same rate. We don't have increments or payscales, the only differences between staff are based on the job they do - domestic staff all get the same, carers all get the same and so on.

I was involved with the Single Status review at a local council less than 10 years ago and there were gaps in pay everywhere, not necessarily related to gender though often unexplained. However, it's shocking that this was going on in public sector so recently and thankfully, in that region at least, it's no longer an issue.

I can't comment on what happens in other sectors because I honestly don't know, I've never compared salary with my counterparts. I am certain it does happen and continues to happen though because people aren't encouraged to discuss their salary with others. Whether it's down to gender or nepotism or any other reason is anyone's guess without looking into it further.

Archived