Who are today's great statesmen and women?

Antlion

Sturgeon is a far more effective politician that I ever could have imagined, she filled an important vacumn that I thought would have existed after Salmond's resignation post the referendum defeat. She was undoubtedly the outright winner in the Leaders' debates prior to the last GE and was a significant contributor to the SNP's election walkover.

Stateswoman? I don't think she's earned that title yet but maybe down the line.

Right now she has an easy ride, because everything is going her way and has no credible opposition to deal with. However, she has shown to be an opportunistic politician, which might cost her down the line. When times get tough and she can't deflect blame away from herself. We'll see how effective she really is.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right now she has an easy ride, because everything is going her way and has no credible opposition to deal with. However, she has shown to be an opportunistic politician, which might cost her down the line. When times get tough and she can't deflect blame away from herself. We'll see how effective she really is.

What she needs is a jolly good war, or something seriously unpopular, and see how she handles that.  

You can't call sturgeon or any Scottish fm a statesman/woman till they lead a state. They are not actors and have no voice on the world stage.

I think sturgeon couldbe an eexcellent one but at this stage you can't describe her as a stateswoman in any way.

A fair point I suppose (altho you could be fishing).

I'm not fishing, I love sturgeon but she can't be called a stateswomanIm

The U.K.: where people of Nicola Sturgeon's ability and popularity can't be considered statespeople (because they support statehood for an incorporated part of a state), but people like Nick Clegg, Nigel Farage and Hilary Benn can, because they support the right flag. Rule Britannia!

The U.K.: where people of Nicola Sturgeon's ability and popularity can't be considered statespeople (because they support statehood for an incorporated part of a state), but people like Nick Clegg, Nigel Farage and Hilary Benn can, because they support the right flag. Rule Britannia!

I think you're misunderstanding me. Farage, clegg etc can't either as they don't and never have lead a state.

It's an argument for independece and Scotland being a state. But until it is you can't really call any Scottish fm a statesman.

I think you're misunderstanding me. Farage, clegg etc can't either as they don't and never have lead a state. It's an argument for independece and Scotland being a state. But until it is you can't really call any Scottish fm a statesman.

I know - I was being ironic. 😉 Of course it's a ridiculous situation. And even more condescending is the claim I've seen that Sturgeon, Salmond (even Davidson) are good enough to lead UK parties. The implication is that Scotland is a wee jokey northern outpost, and its competent politicians should really have their talents realised by playing a part in the big leagues, not the pretendy parliament in the sticks - sorry, the "powerhouse parliament" in charge of road signs.

I know - I was being ironic. Of course it's a ridiculous situation. And even more condescending is the claim I've seen that Sturgeon, Salmond (even Davidson) are good enough to lead UK parties. The implication is that Scotland is a wee jokey northern outpost, and its competent politicians should really have their talents realised by playing a part in the big leagues, not the pretendy parliament in the sticks - sorry, the "powerhouse parliament" in charge of road signs.

sorry

that's absolutely how britnzts see Holywood(bbow I think we all pronounce that wrong surely it'sholy as Iin religious) as the toy or pretend parliament. They've viewed it with contempt from day one

It's hard to see modern politicians as anything more than jumped up office boys and girls, because that's all they've done, straight from University. Back in the day Dennis Healy organised a beach landing in Normandy before he launched his political career. (bitter old man from Inverness speaking) Merkel probably fitted the bill best before her brain haemorrhage over the refugee crisis.

Sturgeon is a far more effective politician that I ever could have imagined, she filled an important vacumn that I thought would have existed after Salmond's resignation post the referendum defeat. She was undoubtedly the outright winner in the Leaders' debates prior to the last GE and was a significant contributor to the SNP's election walkover.

Stateswoman? I don't think she's earned that title yet but maybe down the line.

She's done wonderfully well, imho, but I wouldn't class her as a stateswoman either.

:lol: Who in their right mind would consider any of them a "statesman"?

Archived