Who are today's great statesmen and women?

Antlion

This topic was inspired by another thread. It's easy to look back in history and identify famously great orators and men/women of state. Even if one doesn't agree with their policies (and I sure as hell don't), it's difficult to argue with people like Thatcher, Blair* and Churchill being pretty good statespeople. *My caveat with Blair is that he seems to have been the inspiration for all the plastic, platitudinous, personality-free types we have today; still, it was his very successful *thing* and I guess it isn't his fault it has led to hundreds of crappy clones (like Cameron).

But today I genuinely struggle to think of any political figures who would qualify as great, talented men and women of state, who can hold their own on the world stage. Can you?

Although I'm an independence supporter, even if I wasn't I reckon I would nominate Alex Salmond and Nicola Sturgeon: one for being a big and commanding personality, the other for having iron-clad discipline and a common touch I never expected.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But today I genuinely struggle to think of any political figures who would qualify as great, talented men and women of state, who can hold their own on the world stage. Can you?

Although I'm an independence supporter, even if I wasn't I reckon I would nominate Alex Salmond and Nicola Sturgeon: one for being a big and commanding personality, the other for having iron-clad discipline and a common touch I never expected.

Angela Merkel as she dominates German and European politics. She's probably the most powerful woman politician ever. 

The Pooh and Piglet of British politics?  You're very easily pleased.

The Pooh and Piglet of British politics?  You're very easily pleased.

Ah a true blue yoon I take it your heroine is Maggie Thatcher or You get advice on Fiances from Gideon Osbourne but While Nicola is a formidable politician as was and is Alex Salmond but the most impressive female person in world politics is Malala Yousafzai who has risked death for her beliefs 

Angela Merkel as she dominates German and European politics. She's probably the most powerful woman politician ever. 

I could agree with that had you said that a year ago, but she's annihilated her legacy with how she handled the ongoing migrant crisis. 

Ah a true blue yoon I take it your heroine is Maggie Thatcher or You get advice on Fiances from Gideon Osbourne but While Nicola is a formidable politician as was and is Alex Salmond but the most impressive female person in world politics is Malala Yousafzai who has risked death for her beliefs 

I'm not sure being shot and then offering various platitudes should really qualify someone as a great political figure.

Sturgeon is a far more effective politician that I ever could have imagined, she filled an important vacumn that I thought would have existed after Salmond's resignation post the referendum defeat. She was undoubtedly the outright winner in the Leaders' debates prior to the last GE and was a significant contributor to the SNP's election walkover.

Stateswoman? I don't think she's earned that title yet but maybe down the line.

Archived