Who are today's great statesmen and women?

Antlion

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you're misunderstanding me. Farage, clegg etc can't either as they don't and never have lead a state. It's an argument for independece and Scotland being a state. But until it is you can't really call any Scottish fm a statesman.

'leader of a state' seems to be an idiosyncratically narrow definition of a statesman

I think you might be getting muddled up with 'Head of state'

'leader of a state' seems to be an idiosyncratically narrow definition of a statesman

I think you might be getting muddled up with 'Head of state'

No, to be a 'statesman' you have to have a profile and affect on international relations/the international stage. To be the head of a devolved government gives you no scope to do this.

Some people who are not heads of state like Henry (war criminal) Kissinger or Dag Hammarskjold can also be considered statesmen, but definitely not any Scottish FM this side of independence.

I'm not fishing, I love sturgeon but she can't be called a stateswomanIm

Of course she can, unless you're reading a different definition of 'statesman' to all those I've read. None I've seen even mention statehood. Most – and I'm generalising – agree that statesmanship simply requires effective and respected political governance over a lengthy period.

I think Sturgeon is one MSP who could be described as statesmanlike. She's been effective in government – and respected by all sides. 

Of course she can, unless you're reading a different definition of 'statesman' to all those I've read. None I've seen even mention statehood. Most – and I'm generalising – agree that statesmanship simply requires effective and respected political governance over a lengthy period.

I think Sturgeon is one MSP who could be described as statesmanlike. She's been effective in government – and respected by all sides. 

A statesman, or woman, is somebody who has a profile and influence on the international stage or someone who is extremely prominent nationally for a long time. Sturgeon can't be classed as one, sadly.

No, to be a 'statesman' you have to have a profile and affect on international relations/the international stage. 

Someone like Abraham Lincoln would struggle to be considered a statesman according to those criteria. Whose definition of statesman are you following, or are you just making your own definition up?

No he wouldn't.

But under that narrow definition Adolf Hitler and Mugabe would qualify as statesmen! I think you're fundamentally misunderstanding the concept of statesmanship here.

I am following the definition. Look it up.

Well what's your source? My view of what a statesman is pretty much matches the OED's definition. There's absolutely no need to be a head of state, or even have any foreign influence.

(If the link doesn't work the OED defines a statesman as someone who takes a leading part in the affairs of a state or is a skilled, experienced and respected politician.)

And even more condescending is the claim I've seen that Sturgeon, Salmond (even Davidson) are good enough to lead UK parties. The implication is that Scotland is a wee jokey northern outpost, and its competent politicians should really have their talents realised by playing a part in the big leagues, not the pretendy parliament in the sticks - sorry, the "powerhouse parliament" in charge of road signs.

To be fair, you can hardly blame some for having that view when the Labour Party saw Holyrood as second best and the 'big beasts' of Labour  (Sarwar, Curran etc) high-tailed it to Westminster as soon as they could. Just look at the decline in quality of Scottish Labour leadership over the last 20 years that has led to Kezia Dugdale. Same argument for the Lib Dems. Willie Rennie is the punchline of a joke.

But while I think Salmond is mocked, there is a grudging admiration for him as an effective politician. Sturgeon really is rated. 

Davidson, on the other hand, gets more credit down south than she deserves. She's not put under the same pressure as her party colleagues down south. Up here she gets a relatively easy ride. When she's put under pressure she crumbles.

But under that narrow definition Adolf Hitler and Mugabe would qualify as statesmen! I think you're fundamentally misunderstanding the concept of statesmanship here.

Well what's your source? My view of what a statesman is pretty much matches the OED's definition. There's absolutely no need to be a head of state, or even have any foreign influence.

(If the link doesn't work the OED defines a statesman as someone who takes a leading part in the affairs of a state or is a skilled, experienced and respected politician.)

Hitler was clearly a statesman, I'm amazed you think otherwise. Mugabe too, you don't have to be a good person to be one.

No, to be a 'statesman' you have to have a profile and affect on international relations/the international stage. To be the head of a devolved government gives you no scope to do this.

Some people who are not heads of state like Henry (war criminal) Kissinger or Dag Hammarskjold can also be considered statesmen, but definitely not any Scottish FM this side of independence.

That's a somewhat less Maverick interpretation than your first attempt

But unlikely to get you that dream job in lexicography.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived