Almost a Darwin award, though

Tom McB

Darwin silver medal award today goes to some daft bint from Brighton who thought it would a good idea to climb Ben Nevis in trainers and armed with a selfie stick.

In a blizzard.

She probably thought there was a cafe at the top....

The spirit of Alan Partridge lives on.

Darwin silver medal award today goes to some daft bint from Brighton who thought it would a good idea to climb Ben Nevis in trainers and armed with a selfie stick.

In a blizzard.

I'm presuming she just missed out on gold, due to wearing trainers instead of crocs.

Gold medal winners are like Victoria Cross winners.

You tend to have to get your family to collect them.

Fair point. Statistically speaking, you're more likely to survive a dose of Ebola than you are to survive being "awarded" the VC.

She probably took a selfie with the Lochaber Mountain Rescue Team. Still, she's all over Facebook and the Guardian which is probably 'cool' or 'amazeballs'....

In fairness, she did manage to reach the summit which is an achievement.

In a blizzard.

Seen this earlier, with a picture of the girl included. Definite wid.

Also, she appeared better prepared for it than many of the folk I have seen climbing the fucking thing.

I have a couple of friends who work in mountain rescue and they have said there are bosses who give idiotic climbers an almighty roasting after they have been rescued. Grown men reduced to tears for taking risks like this so I hope she got a high and mighty time!

OK, not quite Ben Nevis but I was once coming down The Cobbler and I saw a couple dressed basically like James and Ella Cotter from Rab C. Nesbit going up with a couple of carrier bags each .  It was about half way down with maybe an hour and a half of light left.

The thing I will never forget though was they were having an argument and 'Ella' in her gold lame kitten heels said in pure Weegie "Well, ah never knew it wis gonnae be uphill aw the way!".

OK, not quite Ben Nevis but I was once coming down The Cobbler and I saw a couple dressed basically like James and Ella Cotter from Rab C. Nesbit going up with a couple of carrier bags each .  It was about half way down with maybe an hour and a half of light left.

The thing I will never forget though was they were having an argument and 'Ella' in her gold lame kitten heels said in pure Weegie "Well, ah never knew it wis gonnae be uphill aw the way!".

Yep, have seen a few beezers there but Ben Nevis does attract the Morons.

Archived