England

bobthespider

How on earth does Sterling get into the squad? He's been brutal for Man City this season, even Man City fans hate him at the moment.

Now I've said that he'll obviously score now.

Because he's young, and the English media have an absolute stauner for the "Young Lions" tagline.

The same media who'll use that as an excuse when they inevitably get papped out, despite the average age only being 0.1 years older than Germanys

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he tries too hard taking the ball in difficult situations and distributing it from the back , maybe it's because he got rave reviews when he first came onto the scene but sometimes he's just got tae think safety first. What happened to the lad Flanagan that plays with Liverpool he looked a cracking player but not heard about him in the last 12 to 18 months.

Flanagan was out injured for 16 months or something

If the plan is to play the diamond and Hodgson's determined to shoehorn Rooney in somewhere - possibly as the foremost player of the diamond - why the f**k is Barkley in the squad?

You have Alli, Rooney and Lallana who could play as the attacking midfielder there, while Drinkwater has been left out with Henderson and Wilshere struggling for fitness. Barkley seems like a complete waste of a place in the squad before even considering that rather than just not being as good as the alternatives in his position, he's a rubbish player who's done nothing to suggest he should be anywhere near an England squad.

If we're going to play the diamond Sturridge should start ahead of Vardy. He's much cleverer in tight spaces.

Said that last night.

If he's going to play that formation with those tactics Sturridge, if he's fit, has to start ahead of Vardy.

Teams will know all about Vardy after the season he had, they will not give him 1 yard of space to run into.

The worst thing to happen for Roy was Leicester winning the league.

If the plan is to play the diamond and Hodgson's determined to shoehorn Rooney in somewhere - possibly as the foremost player of the diamond - why the f**k is Barkley in the squad?

You have Alli, Rooney and Lallana who could play as the attacking midfielder there, while Drinkwater has been left out with Henderson and Wilshere struggling for fitness. Barkley seems like a complete waste of a place in the squad before even considering that rather than just not being as good as the alternatives in his position, he's a rubbish player who's done nothing to suggest he should be anywhere near an England squad.

Are teams only allowed to play one formation in the tournament?

Said that last night.

If he's going to play that formation with those tactics Sturridge, if he's fit, has to start ahead of Vardy.

Teams will know all about Vardy after the season he had, they will not give him 1 yard of space to run into.

The worst thing to happen for Roy was Leicester winning the league.

I just can't get my head around this logic

You think EPL teams never knew all about him after a month or 2 into the season like?

I just can't get my head around this logic

You think EPL teams never knew all about him after a month or 2 into the season like?

England will dominate possession in that group, Leicester played on the counter. Sturridge is more effective as a penalty box striker than Vardy is but Roy will get pelters if he doesn't start Vardy.

He may be more effective against the bigger nations when England won't be as dominant but the best teams always find a way to nullify their greatest threats.

I think this is the problem with their squad selection - Roy still has no idea what formation is most effective and who should play in which position.  Instead, he's largely picked players on reputation rather than form  and will try to fit everything around the ineffectual Rooney.  They'll stumble through the group stages and get found out against the first decent team they play.

They'll keep Roy, because they've no better English managers and the fans wont be happy with someone that doesn't speak the Queen's tongue, and they'll repeat the cycle for the World Cup 2018 with Rooney still wearing the captain's armband.  By this point, at least one of Barkley, Sturridge and Rashford will have had two lukewarm seasons and signed for Newcastle for £25m.

Ross Barkley clearly isn't rubbish.

Is the last 12 months just a dip in form for him, or is actually going to be the norm? If it's the latter then yes, he is a rubbish player. If he can return to his breakthrough form of the 2013/14 season and produce that consistently then maybe he will be good enough for England one day, but right now he certainly isn't.

I can't see any system they could use where Barkley is going to be close to a place. Unless Hodgson does use Rooney as a striker after all, in which case he shouldn't have taken another four strikers in addition to him and you're back to questioning why Drinkwater isn't there ahead of one of them. Have to see Barkley as the real waste of a place though.

I fancy England to do very well in this tournament, possibly even to win it. Aside from all the nonsense about "written in the stars with it being 50 years since 1966" that no doubt will be spouted, they have a good side with good players, a coach that can get the best out of what he's got plus a very strong spine of Hart, Smalling/Cahill, Henderson/Ali/Sterling, Kane & Vardy.

The likes of Germany, Spain and the Italians(who can never be written off) will be there or thereabouts but I don't think Portugal, France or Belgium are up to much this time around.

I really think this could be England's year and they won't get a better chance.

Is the last 12 months just a dip in form for him, or is actually going to be the norm? If it's the latter then yes, he is a rubbish player. If he can return to his breakthrough form of the 2013/14 season and produce that consistently then maybe he will be good enough for England one day, but right now he certainly isn't.

I can't see any system they could use where Barkley is going to be close to a place. Unless Hodgson does use Rooney as a striker after all, in which case he shouldn't have taken another four strikers in addition to him and you're back to questioning why Drinkwater isn't there ahead of one of them. Have to see Barkley as the real waste of a place though.

Last 12 months is harsh. Up until Xmas Everton were playing some of the best attacking football I've ever seen them play. They just ruined it by blowing leads constantly and the players seemed to lose confidence and faith in martinez after it kept happening constantly.

Nah France will be up there as potential winners.  They're attacking options are pretty impressive.  Plus you've got Kante and Payet in there too.

Archived