Queen of the South vs. Raith Rovers

Very early I know but got too excited and want to get planning...

Me and a few mates are staying over Saturday so are making a full day of it. Had a look on the 'pubs' thread but Queens didn't have a full section. So am hoping some fine individual's could provide some info...

Pre-game - what are the main/best football pubs? Do any have pool/darts etc? Where do other Rovers fans frequent?

Post-game - what are the options like? Looking for pubs and late night bars as opposed to clubs. Again pool/darts would be a bonus, although we will probably do a little crawl.

Any info will be much appreciated!

As for the game, confident we can do a job similar to Saints and Morton away and put in a solid (winning) away performance.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pub next to the station is pretty quirky but decent wee bar. We usually go to salutation bar (it is definitely an acquired taste) but alway been welcome there and have good banter with the locals. Going via Carlisle of course

Very early I know but got too excited and want to get planning...

Me and a few mates are staying over Saturday so are making a full day of it. Had a look on the 'pubs' thread but Queens didn't have a full section. So am hoping some fine individual's could provide some info...

Pre-game - what are the main/best football pubs? Do any have pool/darts etc? Where do other Rovers fans frequent?

Post-game - what are the options like? Looking for pubs and late night bars as opposed to clubs. Again pool/darts would be a bonus, although we will probably do a little crawl.

Any info will be much appreciated!

As for the game, confident we can do a job similar to Saints and Morton away and put in a solid (winning) away performance.

Depends what you want really. There are a number of pubs in the Market Square area of the town which are probably nearest to the ground (Salutation, Spread Eagle, Globe Inn, Devorgilla). The first three are very much the spit and sawdust type. Devorgilla less so. A lot of QoS fans gather in the Devorgilla and some in the Globe. They all have dart boards. The Globe has a pool room through the back though it isn't very big. I have no idea where the Rovers or away fans generally go.

Dumfries Town Centre itself is full of pubs. The Cavens Arms is excellent for a meal pre or post match. There is a Wetherspoons (Robert The Bruce) not far from it. The Whitesands has at least half a dozen pubs. There will be a load of QoS fans in the New Bazaar pre and post match too. There are only two night clubs (Venue & Chancers) but several pubs with licences to 2am ranging from the new and trendy down to spit and sawdust types. Hole i the Wa is the place for Karaoke till late. Best pub for pool / darts would probably be Greens as it has 4 or 5 pool tables and a couple of dart boards but it's the opposite end of town from the football ground. A fair hike if you go straight there and you'll not be able to see the tables if you stop in every pub between!

If arriving by train, and ignoring the actual Station Hotel which is quite a fancy hotel relatively speaking, then as PC says the nearest pub is the Waverley which is back to the spit and sawdust type. Beyond that you are basically walking into the Town Centre to find pubs though.

What sort of age are your group, where are you staying and what time do you arrive in Dumfries?

Late 20's, staying just next to the station and arrive at back of 10 on the saturday.

Thanks a lot for all the info as well folks - really helpful and very much appreciated!

SD, as always, has given a detailed answer already but as I'm a similar age to you I'll chuck in my tuppence worth.

You'll want to check out the Waverley simply because it's close to your digs and the station. It's not a bad pub, friendly enough, wide enough selection of booze and a pool table.

Pre-match Market Square is your best option. My order of preference would be The Devorgilla, The Globe then The Salutation. I don't like The Spread Eagle at all. No idea where the Rovers fans go but that will ultimately make your mind up I suppose. After the game if you want to catch the late game you can either go back to Market Square or head into the town centre. I'd recommend The Barrel, Dickies or the newly renovated Queen of the South Bar (nothing to do with the club). All three show sport, Dickies and QoS have darts and the QoS has a pool table as well and usually has live music at the weekend. Hole in the Wa and Fleshers have karaoke, so I tend to avoid both. Most pubs close at midnight or 1am with Slipstream and The Granary the exceptions (2am licence). This means they both get quite busy. After that your options are Chancers which is terrible, or The Venue which is also terrible but full of 17/18 year olds (I suppose that can be viewed as a pro and a con!) Unfortunately Dumfries is still in the Stone Age when it comes to late night grub. Your only options are the 24hr Tesco which is closer to Palmerston than it is the town centre. Or a 24hr petrol station that is the complete opposite direction. Neither are particularly handy for the station.

Onto the game and I suspect we would have needed to have won today and Rovers lost for this game to carry any meaning for us. Hopefully we can still put on a performance in our penultimate home game of the season, and ruin your night out in the process!

SD, as always, has given a detailed answer already but as I'm a similar age to you I'll chuck in my tuppence worth.

You'll want to check out the Waverley simply because it's close to your digs and the station. It's not a bad pub, friendly enough, wide enough selection of booze and a pool table.

Pre-match Market Square is your best option. My order of preference would be The Devorgilla, The Globe then The Salutation. I don't like The Spread Eagle at all. No idea where the Rovers fans go but that will ultimately make your mind up I suppose. After the game if you want to catch the late game you can either go back to Market Square or head into the town centre. I'd recommend The Barrel, Dickies or the newly renovated Queen of the South Bar (nothing to do with the club). All three show sport, Dickies and QoS have darts and the QoS has a pool table as well and usually has live music at the weekend. Hole in the Wa and Fleshers have karaoke, so I tend to avoid both. Most pubs close at midnight or 1am with Slipstream and The Granary the exceptions (2am licence). This means they both get quite busy. After that your options are Chancers which is terrible, or The Venue which is also terrible but full of 17/18 year olds (I suppose that can be viewed as a pro and a con!) Unfortunately Dumfries is still in the Stone Age when it comes to late night grub. Your only options are the 24hr Tesco which is closer to Palmerston than it is the town centre. Or a 24hr petrol station that is the complete opposite direction. Neither are particularly handy for the station.

Onto the game and I suspect we would have needed to have won today and Rovers lost for this game to carry any meaning for us. Hopefully we can still put on a performance in our penultimate home game of the season, and ruin your night out in the process!

Fleshers is the only place I've seen someone use 8 track cartridges on the Karaoke :lol:

The Hole in the Wa is the only time I've come close to peeing myself with laughter when a local wench who clearly pours gin on her cornflakes, utterly destroyed a song made so unrecognisable no one could make out what it was supposed to be.

Fleshers is the only place I've seen someone use 8 track cartridges on the Karaoke :lol:

The Hole in the Wa is the only time I've come close to peeing myself with laughter when a local wench who clearly pours gin on her cornflakes, utterly destroyed a song made so unrecognisable no one could make out what it was supposed to be.

Your Hole in the Wa story reminds me of every karaoke experience I've ever had the misfortune of being involved in. I despise it.

I met a fellow P&B poster there after the Dumbarton game. Just wish I could remember who  :ph34r:

Archived