Hampden Park has it had its Day ?

On 11/16/2016 at 15:13, AUFC 1910 said:

Surely a national stadium?

Built brand new, between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Used for football, rugby and a retractable roof for concerts.

Rail line, hotel and conferencing, business park style with business tenants providing rental of office space.

Forming part of the Scottish sport centre of excellence, so have all the museums, sports science, injury and rehabilitation, tours etc all in one Scottish national stadium.

Acts are coming to the Hydro and selling out like hot cakes, so a large scale concert venue with a roof would be viable.

Sell hampden and Murrayfield for scrap (nae offence Queens Park)

Uhuh.

• 2 months later...
Why apologize to QP, why can't we build them a wee ground and training complex with all the modcons to enable them to attract and bring on youngsters around their patch as well as developing something more suitable for the national team.

Trying far too hard there chum. Dry yer eyes.

Same old guff on this subject liberally mixed with self-agendas. Per head of population, Hampden draws bigger crowds for internationals than anywhere else in Europe and has the infrastructure to support it. And if the visionary Queen'sparkers had listened to those who moaned about the bowl being old fashioned, without it our great nation wouldn't have been able to host the Commonwealth Games.

It's a new feckin team we need.

9 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Trying far too hard there chum. Dry yer eyes.

Same old guff on this subject liberally mixed with self-agendas. Per head of population, Hampden draws bigger crowds for internationals than anywhere else in Europe and has the infrastructure to support it. And if the visionary Queen'sparkers had listened to those who moaned about the bowl being old fashioned, without it our great nation wouldn't have been able to host the Commonwealth Games.

It's a new feckin team we need.

I have no agenda, Hampden is no longer fit for purpose.

On ‎23‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 12:28, 10menwent2mow said:

While the thought of a stadium in Stirling or somewhere is appealing you really don't have the additional facilities required. I'd suggest a lot of fans make a weekend of a Scotland game, stay in hotels, drink in bars, go to restaurants and you really need a big city with the infrastructure to deal with that.

Exactly, that's why almost every top sports stadium in the world is in a major city.

5 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

And if the visionary Queen'sparkers had listened to those who moaned about the bowl being old fashioned, without it our great nation wouldn't have been able to host the Commonwealth Games.

Maybe we would have then been able to build a new stadium such as Manchester, or given Hampden a major renovation with a legacy to football afterwards, instead it received a lick of paint.

3 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Maybe we would have then been able to build a new stadium such as Manchester, or given Hampden a major renovation with a legacy to football afterwards, instead it received a lick of paint.

Maybe you should have. Don't recall Blackburn United stepping forward to rejuvenate Scottish football or provide a world class venue (FIFA's judgement, not mine) for the national team or hosting european club finals or hosting a global sports event that attracted hundreds of millions of pounds of investment into the Scottish economy?

As for your lick of paint comment; this is the Third Hampden, arguably the Fourth after it's rebuild. QP also built the first and second, each time moving onto bigger and better. Each time providing a stadium for the national team. In fact, the very first Scotland team was entirely fielded by QP players who also provided the navy jersey that still to this day is Scotland's home colours. In our one hundred & fifty year history no other club has ever stepped forward with a case to have the national stadium anywhere else than Hampden.

On 11/16/2016 at 15:13, AUFC 1910 said:

Surely a national stadium?

Built brand new, between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Used for football, rugby and a retractable roof for concerts.

Rail line, hotel and conferencing, business park style with business tenants providing rental of office space.

Forming part of the Scottish sport centre of excellence, so have all the museums, sports science, injury and rehabilitation, tours etc all in one Scottish national stadium.

Acts are coming to the Hydro and selling out like hot cakes, so a large scale concert venue with a roof would be viable.

Sell hampden and Murrayfield for scrap (nae offence Queens Park)

Is that the Hydro in Glasgow adjacent to the SECC & Clyde Auditorium surrounded by hotels, restaurants, bars and just of the M8 with a train station across the road or is that the Hydro at Harthill Services?

35 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Maybe you should have. Don't recall Blackburn United stepping forward to rejuvenate Scottish football or provide a world class venue (FIFA's judgement, not mine) for the national team or hosting european club finals or hosting a global sports event that attracted hundreds of millions of pounds of investment into the Scottish economy?

As for your lick of paint comment; this is the Third Hampden, arguably the Fourth after it's rebuild. QP also built the first and second, each time moving onto bigger and better. Each time providing a stadium for the national team. In fact, the very first Scotland team was entirely fielded by QP players who also provided the navy jersey that still to this day is Scotland's home colours. In our one hundred & fifty year history no other club has ever stepped forward with a case to have the national stadium anywhere else than Hampden.

Thanks for the history lesson which wasn't required. As someone who hasn't missed a Scotland game at Hampden for near on 20 years, I'm well aware of what it offers and what it doesn't. The South Stand is the World Class part (the only part FIFA suits experience), the rest of it isn't although it's not as bad as others make out.

Further, as someone who has barely missed a Scotland away game in the last 20 years, I'm also well aware of what other nations have done with regards to stadia, and Hampden is badly in need of major re-development if it is to continue to attract any major football events beyond Euro 2020 (which in itself was a last hurrah, a nod to history rather than facilities offered), indeed there is no guarantee that Scotland will continue to play there after that with the SFA considering options. 

The Commonwealth Games was a major opportunity missed, no legacy to football despite the National Stadium being taken over for a year for the purpose.

So, rather than provide a history lesson, maybe it's time to recognise that the stadium has its shortcomings as far as the modern day spectator experience is concerned, and at some point sooner rather than later this needs to be addressed.

Edited by Burnie_man

I love the idea of the national stadium being in the stirling area, somewhere central. I fear that it would be a massive infrastructure issue. Look at the likes of t in the park. Yes it's in a field but this was in the central belt with supposed good transport links. Massive car parks etc would have to build along with a stadium. If they were to create a village type scenario with shops and bars surrounding with profits directly to scottish football then it may work.

• 2 weeks later...

The costs involved in building a new national stadium means it will never happen unless the government or lottery subsidise it heavily. Only other way it could happen is a combined Rangers/ Celtic or SFA / SRU stadium. SFA building a new stadium for half a dozen Scotland games and 6 cup finals / semi finals a year, which wouldn't all be sellouts, is not likely or affordable.

If it was ever built would almost certainly need to built in Glasgow or Edinburgh. Probably the best option is to strike a deal with SRU to use Murrayfield for say 4 big Scotland matches a year and the Scottish / League cup finals. All semi finals and smaller Scotland games could be played at various other football stadiums.

• 1 month later...

Hampden is so bad it took the realisation that our players were running to the crowd celebrating to notice we were 2 up on Saturday. Just watched the rerun and there is a clear time delay between the goal being scored and cheer from our fans.

15 hours ago, G-MAN said:

Hampden is so bad it took the realisation that our players were running to the crowd celebrating to notice we were 2 up on Saturday. Just watched the rerun and there is a clear time delay between the goal being scored and cheer from our fans.

If a goal was scored like that at the other end of any ground, fans would take a good three or four seconds to cheer it. It was impossible to see because there were about 20 players in the box blocking the view of the near post, added to the fact that the ball didn't hit the net or anything - it just sort of stayed behind the goal line for ages. It was only clear from where I was sitting as I was behind the goal and could see it over the line.

On ‎23‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 23:11, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Yes, lets live in the past, do what we have always done, because we are so successful. Why not play all internationals at Hamilton Crescent?

Yes, lets live in the past, do what we have always done, because we are so successful. Why not play all internationals at Hamilton Crescent?

Yes,lets mock and criticise others when doing absolutely nothing to improve the situation.

Dead easy to point out what's wrong. How about coming up with a practical solution? One that's economically viable. And in case you missed it, it's the SFA who are responsible for the national team and the Scottish Cup. Send your 21st Century ideas to them. Keep me posted on how it all works out.

I did, I was part of a working group which had input to the PMP consultancy which had guaranteed UK government funding as long as all recommendations were approved. I argued long and hard to use the funds earmarked for Hampden redevelopment to build 8 football centres throughout the country. Play internationals throughout the country and play finals at the most suitable venue for the finalists. This was 2001. Now after 20 years of trying to improve the situation I have recently retired. Why would I be unaware of the SFA responsibilities? It was to them the original post was directed. I find your reaction strange and very revealing.

On ‎25‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 21:35, leb8t said:

I did, I was part of a working group which had input to the PMP consultancy which had guaranteed UK government funding as long as all recommendations were approved. I argued long and hard to use the funds earmarked for Hampden redevelopment to build 8 football centres throughout the country. Play internationals throughout the country and play finals at the most suitable venue for the finalists. This was 2001. Now after 20 years of trying to improve the situation I have recently retired. Why would I be unaware of the SFA responsibilities? It was to them the original post was directed. I find your reaction strange and very revealing.

that's way to sensible, how did you only retire recently and not get shot 20 year ago when you first said that?