Hampden Park has it had its Day ?

16 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Couldn't say I have been particularly bothered by the gap from the stands whenever I have been, it's a combination of that and lack of gradient at Hampden that makes it an atrocious stadium for atmosphere. Murrayfield pisses all over Hampden for just about everything.

Hearts at Murrayfield shows how bad the gaps are for a football game:

Murrayfield_cs.JPG

The gradient definitely doesn't help at Hampden, but on it's day it's still a superb atmosphere. I still can't see past rebuilding the north, east and west stands into modern stands iwth modern facilities close to the pitch, funds permitting of course.

Aye, Murrayfield being a great rugby stadium doesn't make it a great football stadium. The view from the corners is better than the equivalent view at Hampden, but if your issue with Hampden is every stand being too far from the pitch Murrayfield won't be an improvement.

Murrayfield_cs.JPG

The gradient definitely doesn't help at Hampden, but on it's day it's still a superb atmosphere. I still can't see past rebuilding the north, east and west stands into modern stands iwth modern facilities close to the pitch, funds permitting of course.

I've been to Murrayfield many times,only once for a football game though and I was pitch side so it wasn't an issue.

As for Hampden creating a superb atmosphere other than the fans themselves it has no redeeming quality to assist in this. Murrayfield is not perfect for football but its bigger,steeper and is better for fans for facilities and access. Hampden just has it’s name now and that’s about it.

Murrayfield_cs.JPG

That's still a better view than what you would get at the majority of Hampden.

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/09/2016 at 17:16, effeffsee_the2nd said:

f**k me i knew a rugby pitch was a wee bit bigger but that realy makes it stand out

Wasn't the pitch at Murrayfield marked out with the same dimensions as Tynecastle for the Hearts games? would make absolute sense.

Hampden is a much bigger pitch, therefore the "gaps" on the surface wouldn't be so big or obvious.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎23‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 13:39, Burnie_man said:

The Stadio Delle Alpi was demolished and Juventus's new stadium built next door.

Point one is correct but the new ground is on the same site, just the stands are closer to the pitch. They moved out for a few years while the place was rebuilt. The pitch is in the same spot and the end parts that used to hold up the old roof are part of the new stadium

juventusstadium8.JPG

In a way this is what should have been done with Hampden with the South stand built first and not last about 20 m further South than it is and then a rebuild of the rest of the place with the ends square. There would then have been so much more room on the North side of the site.

• 1 month later...

Surely a national stadium?

Built brand new, between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Used for football, rugby and a retractable roof for concerts.

Rail line, hotel and conferencing, business park style with business tenants providing rental of office space.

Forming part of the Scottish sport centre of excellence, so have all the museums, sports science, injury and rehabilitation, tours etc all in one Scottish national stadium.

Acts are coming to the Hydro and selling out like hot cakes, so a large scale concert venue with a roof would be viable.

Sell hampden and Murrayfield for scrap (nae offence Queens Park)

15 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Rail line, hotel and conferencing, business park style with business tenants providing rental of office space.

Forming part of the Scottish sport centre of excellence, so have all the museums, sports science, injury and rehabilitation, tours etc all in one Scottish national stadium.

Acts are coming to the Hydro and selling out like hot cakes, so a large scale concert venue with a roof would be viable.

Why apologize to QP, why can't we build them a wee ground and training complex with all the modcons to enable them to attract and bring on youngsters around their patch as well as developing something more suitable for the national team.

20 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Sounds very one sided towards football. Scottish Rugby have an excellent facility exactly where they want it in Murrayfield.

20 hours ago, sjc said:

Sounds very one sided towards football. Scottish Rugby have an excellent facility exactly where they want it in Murrayfield.

Yeah was thinking this when reading it also. The SRU have a 65k stadium in the heart of Edinburgh, with excellent transport links. They've also got a number of training pitches right next to the stadium. It's the ideal set up ready to go for a national stadium, if only the SRU/SFA could hammer out a deal. The only complaint is the size of the pitch for football games, with fans being quite far away. That's already a problem at Hampden, does anyone know how easy it is to modify other stadiums for football use? Like West Ham at the Olympic stadium or whatever?

Edited to add - I'm biased as hell because I live right next to Murrayfield :lol:

Edited by Big Fifer

On 11/16/2016 at 15:13, AUFC 1910 said:

Sounds great.  Cost?  Perhaps £800 million, based on Wembley plus a bit for inflation and that's before you factor in the cost of land, plus getting the Scottish Government to fund road and rail links.  Easy peasy.

More chance of Scotland qualifying for a finals tournament.

While the thought of a stadium in Stirling or somewhere is appealing you really don't have the additional facilities required. I'd suggest a lot of fans make a weekend of a Scotland game, stay in hotels, drink in bars, go to restaurants and you really need a big city with the infrastructure to deal with that.

I agree with everything said about hampden though, it's an awful place to watch football if not in the north or south stands.

• 2 weeks later...