Holyrood 2016 : Voting Intentions

Ivo den Bieman

Voting Intentions  

242 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This. Some of their members even stated that even if Scotland was better off they still wouldn't back it.

Utter tools

Many no voters will not change how they vote even if it ment they were better off.

But you could say the same for a yes voter,tell them they would be worse off,would they change how they voted,i doubt they would.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kevthedee, on 25 Apr 2016 - 09:11, said:

Many no voters will not change how they vote even if it ment they were better off.

But you could say the same for a yes voter,tell them they would be worse off,would they change how they voted,i doubt they would.

I'll see if you can figure out the absolutely massive flaw with that analogy before having a go at it.

What's currently drawing you towards labour?

Few things which I don't really have time to fully develop:

1. I support Corbyn, and a Labour wipeout here will do little to help his case in at least lasting to 2020 as Labour leader.

2. I like SLabours income tax increase plan, but until I read this thread I was unaware they had scrapped their cash back plan for low earners. Either way I think raising more money through moderate tax increase is the most effective way to fund our public services.

3. I'm undecided on Independence, but I absolutely do not support wasting any more time campaigning for another referendum that will not go the way of a Yes vote.

4. I previously passively supported the Scottish National Party due to their left-wing rhetoric without ever looking at it in much detail, but since they've been in power I've seen little evidence of policies that actually back up this rhetoric. Minimum alcohol pricing is an example of something that hurts working class people who are still going to buy their drink and has little effect on anyone else- not too dissimilar to centre-right sugar tax policies supported by the likes of the Tories here and Clinton in the states under the guise of being 'progressive.'

5. I do genuinely like Kezia Dugdale as well, and of the other leaders Sturgeon comes across as too calculated and insincere while Rennie is clearly a bit of a cock. Davidson comes across well but she's still a Tory and as much as Harvie comes across well a vote for the Greens seems to be a vote for a party that will prop up the SNP at every turn. Kezia is the most human of the leaders and is someone I would happily have in charge of my country. Little chance of that happening unfortunately.

If I was open-minded about independence, I wouldn't vote for someone who was ideologically opposed to Scottish statehood and just today said she would never countenance voting for it, no ifs ands or buts. In fact, I'd be ashamed to be put my cross next to the party of someone who is absolutely committed to keeping my country a minor region of another state, even as she whines about the Tories she wants to keep in charge as long as our neighbour elects them.

Zamora the first thing you will have to decide before you vote is whether to support Indy or no.

If FOR then vote SNP or Green, if NO then any Unionist party will do.

Remember when we get Independence your vote matters and you might be like me and vote for a left-wing party.

If you vote for a Unionist party then what Antlion describes is true.

Your unionist vote means very little unless it coincides with what the voters down south want.

What are your views on the billions being spent on certain weapons?

What are your views on the warmongering of Westminster?

What are your views on the unelected House of Lords?

Remember Labour support these things and nothing will change by supporting any unionist party.

I realise that the vote in May is for a Scottish parliament but voting for a unionist party is only endorsing what happens in Westminster.

Few things which I don't really have time to fully develop:

1. I support Corbyn, and a Labour wipeout here will do little to help his case in at least lasting to 2020 as Labour leader.

2. I like SLabours income tax increase plan, but until I read this thread I was unaware they had scrapped their cash back plan for low earners. Either way I think raising more money through moderate tax increase is the most effective way to fund our public services.

3. I'm undecided on Independence, but I absolutely do not support wasting any more time campaigning for another referendum that will not go the way of a Yes vote.

4. I previously passively supported the Scottish National Party due to their left-wing rhetoric without ever looking at it in much detail, but since they've been in power I've seen little evidence of policies that actually back up this rhetoric. Minimum alcohol pricing is an example of something that hurts working class people who are still going to buy their drink and has little effect on anyone else- not too dissimilar to centre-right sugar tax policies supported by the likes of the Tories here and Clinton in the states under the guise of being 'progressive.'

5. I do genuinely like Kezia Dugdale as well, and of the other leaders Sturgeon comes across as too calculated and insincere while Rennie is clearly a bit of a cock. Davidson comes across well but she's still a Tory and as much as Harvie comes across well a vote for the Greens seems to be a vote for a party that will prop up the SNP at every turn. Kezia is the most human of the leaders and is someone I would happily have in charge of my country. Little chance of that happening unfortunately.

1. The London mayor race will be far more important to the PLP in deciding whether they can risk moving against Corbyn. Given the ructions in the Tory party over the EU referendum, theLbaour party might be just intelligent enough not to take the focus off of Cameron's troubles by turning fire on Corbyn.

2. It's a flat rate tax rise, proportionally it will always hit low earners more, add to that their CT plan is a dogs breakfast that will actually cut revenue. The SNP CT plan, though cautious to the point of timidity actually raises some revenue and from higher earners. A quick swatch at the Greens manifesto would show you that they have a radical and progressive taxation policy on both income and local taxes that far outstrips both Labour and the SNP.

3. It'll never go Yes unless you do the work to convince people before hand. Like it or not, the constitutional question is here to remain, and our politics is framed by it (and probably always has been). Giving your vote to someone who says 'no 2nd referendum under any circumstances, ever' is itself taking a constitutional position, even if it isn't your primary focus in giving that vote.

4. read their manifesto, there is some good, radical moves on land reform, green energy, climate change, early life chances and getting women back into the workplace, as well as increased health and edcuation spending. They are cuatious on tax, but aren't implementing the Tory 40p tax cut, and do leave the door open for a top rate increase later. It's actually a solid manifesto on a number of left wing topics: http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2016/04/20/snp-manifesto-for-the-future/

5. She's well out of her depth, as genuine as she comes across in a social capacity. Ridiculously over promoted and as deputy has to take at least some responsibility for the 2015 wipeout.

1. The London mayor race will be far more important to the PLP in deciding whether they can risk moving against Corbyn. Given the ructions in the Tory party over the EU referendum, theLbaour party might be just intelligent enough not to take the focus off of Cameron's troubles by turning fire on Corbyn.

The polls suggest that Khan will be beat Goldsmith easily. London is Corbyn's power base with Momentum taking control in a large number of key constituencies.

The crucial test for Corbyn will the local elections outside London. The Welsh Assembly elections will also be important, especially if UKIP gains at Labour's expense. 

The polls suggest that Khan will be beat Goldsmith easily. London is Corbyn's power base with Momentum taking control in a large number of key constituencies.

The crucial test for Corbyn will the local elections outside London. The Welsh Assembly elections will also be important, especially if UKIP gains at Labour's expense. 

Yeah, I know and the polls already have Scotland as a lost cause (touches wood), I think they see London as the big job, and it's also a direct Labour/Tory fight. In terms of what needs doing in 2020, it's probably a better bell weather for them than Scotland is, anyway. Besides, as I said - if they have any intelligence at all, they'll stay united jsut so they don't distract from the current EU meltdown in the Tory party. Corbyn is going nowhere, even if Kez eventually ends up with the heave-ho.

There has been a small swing from the Tories to Labour in recent polls. Corbyn is playing a waiting game as the next GE is fours away. He is hoping that the Tories split or have an internal civil war after the EU referendum.

If Leave wins, Cameron's credibility will be in tatters and he will have to resign as PM. A leadership contest would very bloody.  If Remain wins, Cameron will purge the Leave supporters from the Government and an uncivil war will commence. 

Swing voters tend are repelled by disunity and division. Corbyn can just watch the Tories implode over the next 18 months. If there is an economic downturn or recession, Labour will benefit in swing areas like the Midlands and Yorkshire.

Wise words, Kev.

Most of the video at the bottom of this article is painful listening, but especially the utter clown of a Lib Dem candidate at 04:15:

http://www.itv.com/news/border/update/2016-04-22/watch-can-the-tories-keep-a-hold-of-galloway-and-west-dumfries/

Quite incredible. 

As incredible the buffoon is at 04:15, the part from 01:50 is a worry 

Archived