London

QPStu

9 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Off to London this weekend with my wee boy (almost 4yo). We're staying in Greenwich and planning to spend a bit of time there - Cutty Sark and Maritime Museum planned. (Please god let there be a pirate for his sake!)

Does anybody have any experience of this part of London with young kids? A big playpark would be a bonus!

Apologies in advance if you're flying Edi to London about 8 on Friday morning. He's wired about flying and we've got days of excitement to be built!

Just down the road from me. If he likes animals there's Mudchute city farm which is only about 15 minutes from Greenwich (I think crossharbour is the closest DLR station). I've taken a couple of school trips there and the kids love it. I'd recommend heading round to the North Greenwich (~10 minutes by bus) and getting the cable car across the Thames. It's pretty cheap and you get a fantastic view.

As others have said Greenwich park and blackheath will be good for letting him have a run around. Slightly further afield, Crystal Palace park definitely has play areas and is also full of giant dinosaur sculptures for him to have a look at

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Off to London this weekend with my wee boy (almost 4yo). We're staying in Greenwich and planning to spend a bit of time there - Cutty Sark and Maritime Museum planned. (Please god let there be a pirate for his sake!)

Does anybody have any experience of this part of London with young kids? A big playpark would be a bonus!

Apologies in advance if you're flying Edi to London about 8 on Friday morning. He's wired about flying and we've got days of excitement to be built!

You're also a short bus ride from the O2 Dome, and there's nearly always stuff on there. Charlton are at home on Saturday and they often have kids activities on in the Car Park, not sure what they've got lined up this week though. As said earlier Greenwich Market is great and the park leading up to the Observatory is huge.
Here's the local tourist info website http://www.visitgreenwich.org.uk/

Just down the road from me. If he likes animals there's Mudchute city farm which is only about 15 minutes from Greenwich (I think crossharbour is the closest DLR station). I've taken a couple of school trips there and the kids love it. I'd recommend heading round to the North Greenwich (~10 minutes by bus) and getting the cable car across the Thames. It's pretty cheap and you get a fantastic view.
As others have said Greenwich park and blackheath will be good for letting him have a run around. Slightly further afield, Crystal Palace park definitely has play areas and is also full of giant dinosaur sculptures for him to have a look at
Hope you enjoy your trip!

Ah brilliant I'd forgotten all about the cable car. He'll love that. Thanks for tips!

On 31/07/2017 at 13:25, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I agree with Welshy about the foot tunnel.  I took my 3 a few times and they always loved it.  Also, get a river bus from Greenwich to Westminster and get a different perspective.

He may be a bit young for the Greenwich planetarium but if he has a good attention-span maybe not.  You should also look at what's on at The Unicorn.

I agree with Welshy about the foot tunnel.  I took my 3 a few times and they always loved it.  Also, get a river bus from Greenwich to Westminster and get a different perspective.
He may be a bit young for the Greenwich planetarium but if he has a good attention-span maybe not.  You should also look at what's on at The Unicorn.

Excellent. I'm starting to think I've made a good decision to stay in Greenwich and away from the middle of town. Looks like there will be more than enough to keep us both busy.

8 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Excellent. I'm starting to think I've made a good decision to stay in Greenwich and away from the middle of town. Looks like there will be more than enough to keep us both busy.

Greenwich is a really nice part of town so you chose well.  You could also buy one of these pocket kites and let the wee man laugh at you as you make a c**t of yourself either in Greenwich Park or nearby Blackheath.

13 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Only downside is it gets absolutely hoaching at the weekend if the weather's good.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Only downside is it gets absolutely hoaching at the weekend if the weather's good.

On the upside there is an incredible amount of fandan on show. 

Also one of the best Pie&Mash houses in Greenwich, Goddards just on the corner of the market. 

7 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Greenwich is by far my favourite part of the city and is where I'd try to live if I was going to live in London long term. 

You must be just a few minutes away anyway? Remember you looking at somewhere at the top end of the Isle of Dogs. Unless you're very rich the best thing to do in London is to live in a nice flat or house somewhere scummy but with one decent pub and with easy connections to the good bits. 

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You must be just a few minutes away anyway? Remember you looking at somewhere at the top end of the Isle of Dogs. Unless you're very rich the best thing to do in London is to live in a nice flat or house somewhere scummy but with one decent pub and with easy connections to the good bits. 

Ended up north of Canary Wharf/Isle of Dogs but yeah still fairly close to Greenwich. Love the place though, and whilst a bit pricey I'd still look there first if I was going to be staying for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Honest_Man#1
Autocorrect

10 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Ended up north of Canary Wharf/Isle of Dogs but yeah still fairly close to Greenwich. Love the place though, and whilst a bit pricey I'd still look there first if I was going to be staying for the foreseeable future.

Have you been to any of the non league grounds yet? I was at Greenwich Borough v Corinthian Casuals, then Dulwich v Enfield. I've got this one on my list.

image-31-400x300.jpeg

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Have you been to any of the non league grounds yet? I was at Greenwich Borough v Corinthian Casuals, then Dulwich v Enfield. I've got this one on my list.

image-31-400x300.jpeg

My nephew played for Dulwich Hamlet, then moved to Civil Service FC. Played at Buckingham Palace, so he did.

4 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

image-31-400x300.jpeg

Unfortunately not as my weekends are always filled doing something, which ground/team is the picture from?

Fair enjoyed that. Making way homeward now. Wee man had a ball. We found the required number of parks and fountains to let him run off his endless energy, I even managed a solitary pint inside Greenwich Market whilst he ate his way through a wage packet of food.

Don't tell the guys that run the helter skelter at the Cutty Sark that he's not five yet!

Different perspective taking a kid to London than going on a session or for work. Much more fun had by all this time.

Greenwich is superb.

6967bc53e522c01b71fc0a4d49582def.jpg

5 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Unfortunately not as my weekends are always filled doing something, which ground/team is the picture from?

That's Fisher FC. They were a big Conference level club that went belly up, then reformed way down the pyramid. Presently in the Southern Counties East 2nd division. The ground is on Salter Road. There's plenty more, probably better. I just think it's bizarre having a wee non league ground there, given the cost of land.

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

My nephew played for Dulwich Hamlet, then moved to Civil Service FC. Played at Buckingham Palace, so he did.

Dulwich are quite a big club. Marketing themselves as the alternative, indie choice for pissed of league supporters. Seems to work as they get about 1500 at home game. Just short of 3000 capacity at the game I was at. They had a can and bottle bar on the terracing flogging beer all through the game, which was good.

5 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Fair enjoyed that. Making way homeward now. Wee man had a ball. We found the required number of parks and fountains to let him run off his endless energy, I even managed a solitary pint inside Greenwich Market whilst he ate his way through a wage packet of food.

Don't tell the guys that run the helter skelter at the Cutty Sark that he's not five yet!

Different perspective taking a kid to London than going on a session or for work. Much more fun had by all this time.

Greenwich is superb.

6967bc53e522c01b71fc0a4d49582def.jpg

Terrific pic and glad you and the wee man had a great time.

That's Fisher FC. They were a big Conference level club that went belly up, then reformed way down the pyramid. Presently in the Southern Counties East 2nd division. The ground is on Salter Road. There's plenty more, probably better. I just think it's bizarre having a wee non league ground there, given the cost of land.

Yeah, I've been there - they reformed as a fan owned club, you can become a member for £20. They played at Dulwich Hamlet for a bit before moving to St Paul's. The board did great work raising the funds and working with developers to get the ground built.

I've got a bit of a soft spot for them and try and get along once or twice a season. The standard is honking but there are some excellent drinking spots nearby.