Rangers players being snubbed

kenny131

OP poses a decent question, but this is a one off game vs fierce rivals, so I don't think we can read too much into it. Next season, Rangers are in the PL and their players should quite rightly be considered. But the Championship is not and never should be used as a recruit pool for the national side, with the exception of the odd outstanding talent.

Just wanted to pick up on this bit.  Does anyone actually think that Strachan is actively discounting them because they're in the Scottish Championship?  Is it not just because he doesn't think any of them are good enough to displace the players he has who are playing at a higher level? 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wanted to pick up on this bit.  Does anyone actually think that Strachan is actively discounting them because they're in the Scottish Championship?  Is it not just because he doesn't think any of them are good enough to displace the players he has who are playing at a higher level? 

Well, who would be good enough to displace the current Scotland team?

Sevco fans bang on about Wallace, but he is no better than Robertson, Teirney and Shinnie and we have Mulgew (moan) who can cover at left back and also at centre back and midfield.

We don't need any more midfield, with Snodgrass, Anya, Morrison, McArthur, Ritchie as well as Fletcher and Broon.

What we need is a free-scoring centre forward.

Do we really want Kenny Miller to get called up again?

What other Scottish players do Sevco have who could reasonably get a game for Scotland?

Well, who would be good enough to displace the current Scotland team?

Sevco fans bang on about Wallace, but he is no better than Robertson, Teirney and Shinnie and we have Mulgew (moan) who can cover at left back and also at centre back and midfield.

We don't need any more midfield, with Snodgrass, Anya, Morrison, McArthur, Ritchie as well as Fletcher and Broon.

What we need is a free-scoring centre forward.

Do we really want Kenny Miller to get called up again?

What other Scottish players do Sevco have who could reasonably get a game for Scotland?

Barrie McKay next season. There's a case for Wallace (height and physique) ) depending on how the rest of he team lines up, although Tierney for me.

I'd say it's a bit of both.

I'd guess that Strachan uses the league positioning of clubs as an initial filter, i.e. he'll look at the EPL first, then the English Championship, then the SPFL Prem. If he can't get a squad out of those three pools then he'll look at drawing from the Scottish Championship/English League One etc.

The only other reason I could see him opting to look into the Scottish Championship is, as I say, if there is a player that really catches his eye and looks the real deal. I don't think any of the Rangers players are 'wow' enough to fall into that category. You could argue John McGinn wasn't in that bracket either, but Strachan obviously sees it differently.

I'd say it's a bit of both.

I'd guess that Strachan uses the league positioning of clubs as an initial filter, i.e. he'll look at the EPL first, then the English Championship, then the SPFL Prem. If he can't get a squad out of those three pools then he'll look at drawing from the Scottish Championship/English League One etc.

The only other reason I could see him opting to look into the Scottish Championship is, as I say, if there is a player that really catches his eye and looks the real deal. I don't think any of the Rangers players are 'wow' enough to fall into that category. You could argue John McGinn wasn't in that bracket either, but Strachan obviously sees it differently.

I'd argue that if there was a player clearly good enough, then he wouldn't care what league he was playing in.  I really doubt there's some initial filter on league. 

As Jimbo said, there just isn't really anyone in the squad that is worth calling up over others.  Wallace possibly, but I think there are better options out there.  The next best shout is Kenny Miller.  Kenny.  Miller.  He's doing well at Rangers, but there is no way that he's the answer to our problems up front. 

Next season could be different, but that won't be down to Rangers suddenly being at a level that Strachan rates, it'll be down to the player in question being good enough to be called up.

Also don't really get why some Rangers fans are so raging that their players aren't getting called up.  Lee Wallace isn't getting any younger, given how important he was to Rangers, I'd say keeping him at home would be more beneficial to them personally.

there is perhaps an element of truth to it, the classic example is the argument about rhodes and fletcher earlier in the campaign, fletcher struggled to get a strip for sunderland on matchdays, rhodes was scoring and playing for blackburn

obviously the rangers players this season havent been tested on a consistent basis compared to others in the same positions for the national side, however there is no harm in trying them for a friendly if they are on form (holt, wallace, mckay etc)

look at the team that beat denmark in the recent friendly, guys like brown, maloney, hanley, gordon, fletcher, guys that we all know are going to be in the squad come competitive game time anyway, and guys that failed to reach the playoffs last tournament, why not try others, we had a few debuts in that game yes, but not enough given the lack of success for scotland in the past near 20 years

I think Danny Wilson is worth another look sometime soon

The same Danny Wilson who captained Hertz to the Championship last year and still got punted (because (frankly) he would be found out in the Premiership) to Sevco?

The same DW who will probably get punted by Magichat soon, as Sevco will need a better defence to survive next season?

How will DW be better than Martin/Hanley/Berra......?

The same Danny Wilson who captained Hertz to the Championship last year and still got punted (because (frankly) he would be found out in the Premiership) to Sevco?

The same DW who will probably get punted by Magichat soon, as Sevco will need a better defence to survive next season?

How will DW be better than Martin/Hanley/Berra......?

TBF he didn't get 'punted' by Hearts - Rangers would have offered him better money, simple as that. he chose to go there even tho hearts wanted to keep him.

I assume now back in the big league,  it'll be back to the norm and anyone with a Scots relation within rangers will get called up.

That'll be hard to justify if they're finishing fourth while Aberdeen & Hearts players are being overlooked. Much easier if they do end up challenging for the title though.

Barrie Mckay is a very good, skillful player and should be in the squad. Far better option than Forrest or Mackay Steven The others in Rangers team are debatable and depends on how they do against Hearts, Aberdeen and Celtic next season to see where they are. I think Wallace and Holt are only other two although been worse Squad players than Andy Halliday in Scotland Squad in recent years.

Barrie Mckay is a very good, skillful player and should be in the squad. Far better option than Forrest or Mackay Steven The others in Rangers team are debatable and depends on how they do against Hearts, Aberdeen and Celtic next season to see where they are. I think Wallace and Holt are only other two although been worse Squad players than Andy Halliday in Scotland Squad in recent years.

Last cpl games for u21s mckay looked out of his depth at even that level. Shouldn't be disregarded but still a work in progress at best.

Last cpl games for u21s mckay looked out of his depth at even that level. Shouldn't be disregarded but still a work in progress at best.eta being better than james forrest shouldnt be criteria for being in squad otherwise id expect stuart cosgrove to play.

Our four wingers should be Anya, Snodgrass, Phillips and Ritchie. McKay isn't even close to any of them. 

FWIW neither is anyone playing in this country

McKay being as good as Forrest & McKay-Steven - debatable - isn't an argument for him being there, it's an argument for those two not being there. He's nowhere near ready for that level.

As good a season as he's had, it's still the second tier. It's not like Wallace who proved himself to be an excellent top-flight full back before playing in the lower leagues, McKay has simply never proved himself at a higher level and should be nowhere near the squad until he does so. There'd be an argument for if it he was setting up three goals a week and showing that he was lightyears above the standard of the division, but he hasn't for all that he's been excellent.

Worth noting as well that while he's had a great season and appeared to really develop, it's his third season as a Championship player. He was absolutely dreadful at that level for the previous two seasons when he wasn't playing for a side who routinely dominated possession and he actually had to think about making a defensive contribution. Maybe that was entirely down to work-rate and assuming he'd actually try for Scotland it wouldn't be an issue as it was for Morton & Raith where his laziness definitely contributed to how bad he was, but it could just be that he'll be found out playing for a team who have to defend.

Archived