Peterhead v Ayr United - Battle for 2nd

So it is the big game on Saturday this week, Peterhead have the harder game next week away to the Pars where as we play Airdrie at home, so although they are a point in front, they need the win just as much as us.  Think we should be looking to play the same team as the Stenny game, keep the 2 up top and go for it again.  Now idea what the situation with Gilly and Adams is.  Winner of this will get the momentum for the play off match.

Going 2-0 Ayr, Preston and Moore.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the point of it all in that case? I'm sure Alloa and Dumbarton feared the same when they went up but have exceeded expectations.

Just finishing second versus third is worth £16,880 - it all helps.

I suspect your post was just trying to attract comment. Of course you want to go up, just as much as we do....

We don't want promotion. No chance of surviving in the Championship and certain to be relegated.

Do you not think Peterhead would have a bigger budget/resources to call on than us (Dumbarton) in the Championship?  Your ground holds about a thousand more than us which means you'd pull in more away fans than we can.  I also doubt we're capable of paying someone anything close to what Rory McAllister is apparently on.  We've finished above at least 1 full-time club every year since we got promoted (and we're on course to do the same this year).  Granted the full-time clubs we finished above had their own problems at the time but there's absolutely the chance of staying up.

Do you not think Peterhead would have a bigger budget/resources to call on than us (Dumbarton) in the Championship?  Your ground holds about a thousand more than us which means you'd pull in more away fans than we can.  I also doubt we're capable of paying someone anything close to what Rory McAllister is apparently on.  We've finished above at least 1 full-time club every year since we got promoted (and we're on course to do the same this year).  Granted the full-time clubs we finished above had their own problems at the time but there's absolutely the chance of staying up.

I think the biggest problem with our set up is no reserves/U21s and a small squad. When we have a single player injured or suspended we have to start putting players out of position to cover. For example we have 3 CBs and a LB in the squad and that is the whole defence, no youngsters or reserves to step in. If we go up that would need to change, and if we do change it and come down could we afford it? In saying that I hope we do go up!

Also I hope we pump Ayr.

Anybody saying we don't want to go up is talking shite quite frankly. Of course we would have to bring more players in but even if we get relegated, what's the worst that would happen? We end up back in the same league we're in now.

P.S we'll get beat 1-3 on Saturday.

Strange game in many respects... With it being just 11 days before we face each other again it's difficult to know how the teams approach it. I for one don't think it makes too much of a difference when we are at home in the play offs... the best team will win over the 180 minutes. I understand though that there are psychological advantages for being at home in the second leg.

We have been poor the last month or so but looked like a different team on Saturday with Preston playing alongside Moore. But, that being said this was one game against a poor Stenhousemuir side so we need to do more to show we are capable of going on and beating a Peterhead side - who in truth have had the beating of us this season.

I do think we have enough quality to go up with a full squad or at least progress to the final and I don't think this game will have much bearing on the play offs. But, you do want to finish as high as possible.

Interested to see how both teams approach this one.

I'll say 2-2.

Correct - see http://stv.tv/sport/football/1331865-spfl-sides-to-share-record-21m-prize-money-payout-in-201516-season/

This year £147,700 for finishing last in the Championship versus £105,500 for winning Division 1 (or £90,730 for finishing in the second place we are competing for).

Of course you will have to spend more on a deeper squad to be competitive in the Championships but the average crowd must be significantly higher (edited to add link to the crowd stats for this season http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/avesco.htm).

Obviously Rangers not being in the Championships next year will make comparison difficult but directionally it is clear. The likes of Alloa or Dumbarton will not have seen a negative financial impact overall from their stay in the Championships. Newly promoted Morton have seen a 68% increase in their crowd compared to being in Division 1 last year.

Am I right in saying his booking on Saturday came with a suspension? If he's out of the Airdrie game instead I'd expect him to play in this one.

Yes, kicks in 14 days from picking it up.

Am I right in saying his booking on Saturday came with a suspension? If he's out of the Airdrie game instead I'd expect him to play in this one.

The fact that he lives in Carlisle means that he probably won't travel up for the game. Didn't play the other game at Balmoor.

Archived