Happy Birthday your Maj

Romeo

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only one I remember was about her horrible arse.

Is that right?

Guy on the radio yesterday who painted her portrait said that she sat for up to half an hour at a time while he was doing it.

So, take that....

Serious question here.....when she does snuff it, is the country effectively going to be closed down until after the funeral?

I was thinking about this last night, can't be long now surely, not that I'm wanting her to snuff it or anything (!!!!) but it can't be long now.

I was thinking about this last night, can't be long now surely, not that I'm wanting her to snuff it or anything (!!!!) but it can't be long now.

I dunno modern medicine kept her maw going till she was 103 or something? With even more advances in modern medicine we could be waiting a while. Hell, Scotland might be Independent by then  ^_^ .

I dunno modern medicine kept her maw going till she was 103 or something? With even more advances in modern medicine we could be waiting a while. Hell, Scotland might be Independent by then ^_^ .

Realistically she'll be deed in the next 10 year, I really dunno what to expect when it happens but it will be pretty mental I imagine. :ph34r:

As long as we get a couple of days off to 'mourn' I'll be happy.

The odd unexpected day off is really the only good thing about the royals. Fucking hope she doesn't die/have her funeral on the weekend. Considering we will be paying for that the same way we've paid for everything else the parasitic old boot has had for the last 90 years that would be seriously inconsiderate.

Realistically she'll be deed in the next 10 year, I really dunno what to expect when it happens but it will be pretty mental I imagine. :ph34r:

They'll cancel the fitba. I hope she pegs out in the summer when the weather is decent.

Prince Charles will have MI6 clean up the evidence.

Oh shut up Antlion.

Absolutely nobody is interested in being drawn into debating you and your tedious tripe.

Someone whose politics hasn't developed since his school days.

I am, ta. Please don't tell lies. 

Also, by the look of this thread, I'm not alone. Please don't tell excessive lies.

They'll cancel the fitba. I hope she pegs out in the summer when the weather is decent.

IIRC they binned a Celtic game against the old liquidated Rangers when Diana (Queen of Hearts) was murdered killed, I was fucking raging.

IIRC they binned a Celtic game against the old liquidated Rangers when Diana (Queen of Hearts) was murdered killed, I was fucking raging.

^^ wanted to show his respects at the minutes silence.

The fact that monarchists seem unable to make a case for the system other than claiming it's old and isn't going anywhere

That isn't what monarchists claim.  Our constitutional monarchy has delivered a stable, mature and successful democracy for almost 1/3rd of a millennium.  It has, of course, imperfections and also has a sell-by date as the political/religious/inheritance aspects of it become less relevant but it works and has done for many generations.

That isn't what monarchists claim. Our constitutional monarchy has delivered a stable, mature and successful democracy for almost 1/3rd of a millennium. It has, of course, imperfections and also has a sell-by date as the political/religious/inheritance aspects of it become less relevant but it works and has done for many generations.

Would our democracy have demonstrably been less stable without the royals?

That isn't what monarchists claim. Our constitutional monarchy has delivered a stable, mature and successful democracy for almost 1/3rd of a millennium. It has, of course, imperfections and also has a sell-by date as the political/religious/inheritance aspects of it become less relevant but it works and has done for many generations.

And of course they're wrong. But even if they were right, and the relatively-recent phenomena of constitutional monarchy has produced a stable democracy, the fawning sycophancy would not be excused by it. The rest of your post, incidentally, is just a reworded version of "it's old".

Would our democracy have demonstrably been less stable without the royals?

Definitely. Every country in the world that doesn't have a constitutional monarchy is in a state of continual upheaval, anarchy and economic ruin. You just need to look at Germany....

That isn't what monarchists claim.  Our constitutional monarchy has delivered a stable, mature and successful democracy for almost 1/3rd of a millennium.  It has, of course, imperfections and also has a sell-by date as the political/religious/inheritance aspects of it become less relevant but it works and has done for many generations.

Aye, that was a fantastic, well functioning and mature democracy we had in the 1700s.

ImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1423826974.162880.jpg

Aye, that was a fantastic, well functioning and mature democracy we had in the 1700s.

ImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1423826974.162880.jpg

And the 1800s. Look at Queen Victoria's political machinations (and those of her forebears and children). At every turn, the royals (and, to be honest, the British government) has fought tooth and nail against reforms demanded by the people. I seem to recall a woman throwing herself under a king's horse to get their attention! The royals have always been conservative, and primarily interested in protecting their own interests, influence and privileges. The aura of deference around them is designed to ensure that we don't question that.

Monarchists can try and rewrite history to make the monarchy the noble and altruistic protectors (or even deliverers!) of the wonderfully democratic British state all they want, but it fools no one who has ever cracked the spine of a history book.

Archived