Scottish Football is Really Entertaining

As an aside why is it okay to have playoffs to decide the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, AFL, Champions League, World Cup and to decide what leagues teams play in the next season and yet it's not okay to have them to decide the Scottish Champions? So that Celtic, who's season is currently nothing more than a useless and boring slog, have to continue to play well and act interested in order to become Champions. Is it because it'd be unfair to the team with a budget 10 times bigger than anyone else's? Are we now too scared to give anyone else even a remote chance?

Tbf, no divisions in Scotland have title playoffs.

It's just not a British - indeed European - thing: only San Marino do, but they haven't a single league.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tbf, no divisions in Scotland have title playoffs.

It's just not a British - indeed European - thing: only San Marino do, but they haven't a single league.

I know, it's just not the done thing. But it seems stupid that the champions elect (and the runners up) have nothing to play for in the last months of the season. And the traditional league structure is from an age when resources were a lot more even.

I'd take any kind of reconstruction (and revenue distribution) if it led to an exciting end of season and champions from anywhere other than Glasgow.

Making this thread in the Premiership because it's most popular place and this is a general point. What a great end to the season we have!

Week 36 in Championship to League 2 and look what's to be decided next week:

The final playoff place in League 1 (1 from 3)

The relegation playoff place from League 1 (1 from 3)

Three (!) playoff places in League 2 (3 from 4)

Once that's decided the next week brings the start of playoffs in each league plus the pyramid playoff final first leg.

Meanwhile the three way battle for the relegation and relegation playoff from the Premiership will be being fought. And a really highly anticipated Cup Final to round it all off.

Loads to play for and really interesting. I love this time of year. And that's with all Leagues already won or essentially in Celtic's case and three of four relegation/bottom places decided already too.

The final promotion playoff place in league one is not decided yet as well. Every team in the league still has the 'opportunity' to play in a different league next season.'

A championship with only 2 potential winners for over 30 years now... Most of us have never seen league champions outwith Glasgow and we probably never will. It's almost an achievement to have a national sport which is so dedicated to one city.

In terms of organisation and administration, Scottish football is an abomination to sport.

That's despite having superb supporters throughout the country who deserve a lot better.

As an aside why is it okay to have playoffs to decide the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, AFL, Champions League, World Cup and to decide what leagues teams play in the next season and yet it's not okay to have them to decide the Scottish Champions? So that Celtic, who's season is currently nothing more than a useless and boring slog, have to continue to play well and act interested in order to become Champions. Is it because it'd be unfair to the team with a budget 10 times bigger than anyone else's? Are we now too scared to give anyone else even a remote chance?

Scottish football supporters are excellent. The teams don't deserve them.

I can remember Dundee Utd. and Aberdeen winning the league. I'm an old c**t though.

What is the obsession with teams having 'something to play for' at the end of the season in the league? If you've achieved (or under-achieved) mid table security then it's a chance to see some young players and chill out a bit at games played in decent weather.

Maybe we need consolation cups to finish so everyone can still have a shot at glory?

What is the obsession with teams having 'something to play for' at the end of the season in the league? If you've achieved (or under-achieved) mid table security then it's a chance to see some young players and chill out a bit at games played in decent weather.

Maybe we need consolation cups to finish so everyone can still have a shot at glory?

Pretty much every league set up is going to involve some meaningless games at the end of the season but they're not ideal.  Having something to play for increases crowds.  Increased crowds means increased media exposure (as more people are interested).  Increased media interest means more money.  All of which are good if we want to improve the game in Scotland.

Pretty much every league set up is going to involve some meaningless games at the end of the season but they're not ideal.  Having something to play for increases crowds.  Increased crowds means increased media exposure (as more people are interested).  Increased media interest means more money.  All of which are good if we want to improve the game in Scotland.

It does not increase the ability of the footballers we produce. We need to produce players that are worth watching. 

I don't care about the media, I hardly ever read what they write. I want to watch good football.

I'd rather watch a season of entertaining football than a season of crap but the games all count for something.

It is supposed to be enjoyable. 

edit it to add: you are top of the league but getting booed off the park because?

A championship with only 2 potential winners for over 30 years now... Most of us have never seen league champions outwith Glasgow and we probably never will. It's almost an achievement to have a national sport which is so dedicated to one city.

The Armenian top league has nine teams, seven of which are from Yerevan.

Scottish football isn't perfect but you don't have to wander far to realise how good we have it. I've lived in five countries outwith the UK, all have similar or larger populations to Scotland and I wouldn't swap any of their set ups for what we have in Scotland.

Sure, Old Firm dominance has been a huge issue but Scotland has depth like few other countries our size. Portugal, which has twice our population has an average attendance of 796 for their second tier league, it's the same story in Romania (21m population). Even in Denmark, which has a similar population, GDP and FIFA ranking, the second tier clubs are poorly run and attended. I watched the 1999/2000 Danish champions the other week. They're now mid-table in the second league and played in front of 631 fans who clapped politely at the goals.

When I travel, rather than wondering why Scotland's domestic leagues are so poor I wonder why our national team isn't much better considering the strength of Scottish football culture. Why are we getting beaten by countries like Georgia, where it's free entry to games, still nobody shows up, and national team players sleep in the same £5 a night guesthouse as me?

I see BHS have gone into administration. I take it Marks & Spencer, Primark, H&M, TK Maxx and others will be holding urgent board meetings to work together to save them at all costs rather than seize the opportunities that have opened up for them with a major competitor failing. That's how business works after all.

Our game vs Dundee on Saturday is a perfect example of why 'something to play for' is important.

A drab, soulless game where both teams couldn't really be arsed, playing in front of a poor crowd. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather we had nothing to play for than were stuck in a relegation battle, but it hardly makes for great entertainment.

Our game vs Dundee on Saturday is a perfect example of why 'something to play for' is important.

A drab, soulless game where both teams couldn't really be arsed, playing in front of a poor crowd. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather we had nothing to play for than were stuck in a relegation battle, but it hardly makes for great entertainment.

If there was no/reduced admission price and the players received a reduced wage for these games then I'd agree. If not, they have plenty to play for and there's no excuse for not giving a toss.

The league 1 last game is rather exciting. From 4th-6th fighting it out for the last promotion play off spot and 7th-9th fighting to avoid the last relegation play off spot. It's good to see 6 teams left with something to play for in a league of 10 teams on last game of the season

Yes but the structure of the leagues should also be about promoting development in the long term not just ensuring as many games as possible have some manufactured 'excitement'. Not suggesting the atmosphere at this Derby will be manufactured btw.

I think having 60% of teams in the championship/league 1 being either promoted/relegated or in playoffs is just daft and means most clubs can't realistically plan for anything in terms of where they'll be in a few months.

Yes but the structure of the leagues should also be about promoting development in the long term not just ensuring as many games as possible have some manufactured 'excitement'. Not suggesting the atmosphere at this Derby will be manufactured btw.

I think having 60% of teams in the championship/league 1 being either promoted/relegated or in playoffs is just daft and means most clubs can't realistically plan for anything in terms of where they'll be in a few months.

There's nothing wrong with the league structure. Are you not listening to Lord Doncaster? Sevco are promoted, we are all saved.

Praise the Lord.

"Only in the EPL will you see a team with nothing to play for go to a potential title champion and get a result".

Graeme Souness on Sky TV after Spurs v West Brom.

I guess he didn't catch the Celtic / Ross County game.

"Only in the EPL will you see a team with nothing to play for go to a potential title champion and get a result".

Graeme Souness on Sky TV after Spurs v West Brom.

I guess he didn't catch the Celtic / Ross County game.

Or Valencia winning at the Camp Nou two weeks ago.

I, for one, find it completely unbelievable that Graeme Souness has been caught talking shite. Honestly.

Archived