Holyrood 2016 Predictions

Crossbill

With the relative decline in influence of the SNP List vote due to their far stronger showing in the constituencies, the Greens can continue to poll around the same level and win far more seats as a result - Labour taking more List seats than usual isn't going to entirely cover the gap left by the SNP hardly taking any unless all the polls are absolutely miles out and they end up taking 30+ seats.

That's not really how AMS works. If the Greens hold at the same level and win more seats it will be because Labour's list vote has fallen and the Tory vote hasn't mopped up enough to turn 1 seat into 2 or 2 into 3 in the relevant region, rather than because the SNP have swept the constituencies and struggled on the list. Any constituency losses Labour made from 2011 would be entirely compensated for by the list as they didn't really have much if anything of an "overhang" from any of the constituency results last time.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's not really how AMS works. If the Greens hold at the same level and win more seats it will be because Labour's list vote has fallen and the Tory vote hasn't mopped up enough to turn 1 seat into 2 or 2 into 3 in the relevant region, rather than because the SNP have swept the constituencies and struggled on the list. Any constituency losses Labour made from 2011 would be entirely compensated for by the list as they didn't really have much if anything of an "overhang" from any of the constituency results last time.

Aye I've worded that badly, obviously it's dependent on the Labour vote falling as well.

Wasted a couple of hours one night in September trying to predict this and got:

SNP - 73

Labour - 27

Tories - 18

Green - 8

Lib Dems - 3

Would probably alter that slightly now - with far less thought going into it -and say:

SNP - 71

Labour - 25

Tories - 20

Green - 7

Lib Dems - 6

They might and I stress might sneak in with one.

Where are they most likely?

I think Coburn is standing in H&I? That would be glorious.

What's with the UKIP prediction? Surely they have no chance of getting a seat?

I'm going to start being very rude about teuchters if he is. Fucking shameful if it happens.

http://www.thenational.scot/politics/ukips-david-coburn-tipped-to-take-partys-first-seat-in-holyrood-despite-embarrassing-gaffes.16988

P.S. A car in UKIP colours has been driving around Inverness blaring out "VOTE UKIP TO LEAVE EUROPE ON MAY 5TH!".

They must be hoping for the really really thick vote.

Archived