Those were the days............

Dindeleux

GTA 10 minute demo on the PS Magazine. Played it over and over and over for days.

Wipeout 2097 is still the pinnacle of racing games imo.

The moment you realise how to get the boost start was accelerate in time to fire starter... magic

Anyone feeling nostalgic for the old games magazines might want to do a wee search online, as there are communities of folk who've set about tracking down old issues and scanning them for posterity. Some folk are selling them (which is fair enough, I suppose, considering the amount of work that must go into it), but others are available for free.

Got a load sitting on a storage drive right now, including sets of ACE, Amiga Computing, Amiga Shopper, Amtix, C&VG, Crash, CU Amiga, The Games Machine, Mean Machines, Sinclair User, ST/Amiga Format, ST Action, The One, Your Sinclair, and Zero. There are many more if you search around.

(I'm being very careful not to mention sources, as I doubt the mods would be too pleased   :P )

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1464227248.952114.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1464227274.348566.jpg

I used to love the old magazines. I particularly remember the top one as super karts was amazing, hundreds of hours on a free demo disc. Was also the only real info easily available for games. Regularly had to save my money up for a game from an advert in the back then get my auld dear to send a cheque away. The following week or two waiting was would destroying

I wish it was only a week or two waiting! 

Anyone who had to live through that needs to look up the Calvin and Hobbes beanie hat strips

Anyone feeling nostalgic for the old games magazines might want to do a wee search online, as there are communities of folk who've set about tracking down old issues and scanning them for posterity. Some folk are selling them (which is fair enough, I suppose, considering the amount of work that must go into it), but others are available for free.

Got a load sitting on a storage drive right now, including sets of ACE, Amiga Computing, Amiga Shopper, Amtix, C&VG, Crash, CU Amiga, The Games Machine, Mean Machines, Sinclair User, ST/Amiga Format, ST Action, The One, Your Sinclair, and Zero. There are many more if you search around.

(I'm being very careful not to mention sources, as I doubt the mods would be too pleased   :P )

I dont see any problem with linking to them. The publications are all dead now

I dont see any problem with linking to them. The publications are all dead now

You'd be surprised. One boy got a cease and desist type letter from Future Publishing, as they owned the IP to some old Commodore magazine (I think) published by a company who'd gone bust, but had been bought out by someone else, and had been bought by Future...very complicated.

Anyway, this should get anyone started, but there are a lot of other collections out there if you look around - I found a big stack of PC Zones a while back, for example, which are worth checking out for anyone who's a Charlie Brooker fan. Dare I say it, you might want to try searching for your favourite magazine on those dodgy torrent sites that you'll have heard so much about   :whistle

Edit: I see Future Publishing have been busy since the last time I checked - the following magazines are all now unavailable due to IP claims: Commodore Format, Your Sinclair, Superplay, ACE, and C&VG   :(

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

You'd be surprised. One boy got a cease and desist type letter from Future Publishing, as they owned the IP to some old Commodore magazine (I think) published by a company who'd gone bust, but had been bought out by someone else, and had been bought by Future...very complicated.

Anyway, this should get anyone started, but there are a lot of other collections out there if you look around - I found a big stack of PC Zones a while back, for example, which are worth checking out for anyone who's a Charlie Brooker fan. Dare I say it, you might want to try searching for your favourite magazine on those dodgy torrent sites that you'll have heard so much about   :whistle

Really? Although, given how the murdered Edge nothing surprised me about FP  <_<

Really? Although, given how the murdered Edge nothing surprised me about FP  <_<

Yeah, they've been well known as canutes for a long time.

Speaking of Edge magazine, anyone with a spare half-hour could do worse reading up on Tim Langdell and his Edge software house. Absolutely mental abuse of copyright laws, but very entertaining. I hadn't heard about an Edge release since the late Eighties, until they suddenly re-appeared threatening to sue everyone from Edge magazine to Electronic Arts for using the word 'Edge' in their products   :lol:

Yeah, they've been well known as canutes for a long time.

Speaking of Edge magazine, anyone with a spare half-hour could do worse reading up on Tim Langdell and his Edge software house. Absolutely mental abuse of copyright laws, but very entertaining. I hadn't heard about an Edge release since the late Eighties, until they suddenly re-appeared threatening to sue everyone from Edge magazine to Electronic Arts for using the word 'Edge' in their products   :lol:

What a nutcase  :lol:

The article I just read said that Edge magazine sued him, though. After paying him for the license to use the name "Edge" he started using their logo and claiming he'd helped setup the magazine.

Damn you Future Publishing, picking on poor innocent nutters *shakes fist*

What a nutcase  :lol:

The article I just read said that Edge magazine sued him, though. After paying him for the license to use the name "Edge" he started using their logo and claiming he'd helped setup the magazine.

Damn you Future Publishing, picking on poor innocent nutters *shakes fist*

Aye, that was it. I don't think he left them with much of a choice, the bampot.

Possibly the only time in the past twenty years (at least) that the general public had sided with Electronic Arts on any issue was when they finally got him stripped of his claim to the trademark. The court documents are hilarious; submitting old photocopies of adverts for his 1988 Garfield games and claiming that they were examples of his software house's recent output   :lol:

Anyone remember encountering this bad boy back in the day?

I did that all wrong. IIRC, you're supposed to run down a valley, only to find it running straight towards you, then RUN AWAY! while hoping you can kill it before it catches up with you.

I was busy investigating the walls of the canyon for hidden switches and suchlike, so the first I knew of it was when it started biting my arse   :lol:

I loved Return Fire on the PS1. That shit was outstanding.

Can I get that for my PC?

There are a few really good PlayStation emulators available - I haven't used one in years, but it looks like this was the last one I tried, and I remember it working well. Just download one and stick the game disc in your DVD drive, and it'll run the game from there.

If you don't have the game, I understand there are places where you can download such things, that we probably shouldn't discuss in public   :whistle

I remember getting a gun and maybe Die Hard? I think for my PS2 absolute class. Remember playing Judge Dredd with the gun as well.

Racing games were fucking awful with the steering wheel.

Anyone remember Adidas power soccer were you could boot people at like chest height :lol: madness.

Destruction derby was good.

I just can't get into game these days like I used to:

24.jpg

Anyone remember encountering this bad boy back in the day?

The shitebags method was to run into one of the cave openings and chip away at him with the pistols.

It still disappointments me that that level was meant to be outdoors rather inside a massive underground cave. The draw distance just resulted in that black ceiling. It's somehow less oppressive if it's outside.

That's right! Forgot all about that bit.

I was quite good at the keepy-up one and halfpipe. From memory they brought out an updated one for the Master System or Mega Drive and the graphics were brilliant. The first one I played was little pixel graphics on an Atari.

You used to be able to play this on game-oldies.com but it hasn't been loading too well in my work recently.

I played it on the Mega Drive. Outstanding stuff.

We used to have an Amstrad. Was actually pretty decent, especially The Great Escape, Dizzy Down the Rapids, Oh Mummy, Roland on the Ropes, Roland in the Caves and Bridge-It.

Graduated on to a Mega Drive. All Disney games for it had the same cheat (A, B, B, A, B, B, A, B, B, A). So many good games. Kid Chameleon, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Revenge of Shinobi, Super Hang On, Super Thunderblade, Earthwork Jim, Micro Machines 2, Super Monaco GP, Italia 90, Columns, Ecco The Dolphin, Sonic 1-3 and Sonic and Knuckles (Sonic 3D was gash), Comix Zone (the hardest game ever), Dynamite Headdy, Desert Strike, World of Illusion with Mickey and Donald, Flashback, Speedball 2, Aladdin, Zombies Ate My Neighbours, NBA Jam Tournament Edition, EA Sports Double Header (Ice Hockey and John Madden football), FIFA 95, Micro Machines 96, Lemmings, Mortal Kombat 2, Road Rash 1-3; all were fucking ace.

The king however was this bad boy;

post-12228-0-24208500-1464364434_thumb.j

Next: I reminisce about my PC gaming and getting a PS1...

Edited by DA Baracus

Final Fantasy IX was the only one I really enjoyed. I can remember spending an entire October Break just grinding up my level.

Worth Every minute as I destroyed disk 3 with ease because of this.