The ones who got away

With news emerging that riyad mahrez once escaped love street by means of borrowed bike, it got me wondering how many other instances there are of now world beaters (or indeed anyone you deem to be half decent) almost joining your club.

St mirren almost signing ronaldhinio on loan and John Lambie turning down benzema at thistle are the only ones I can think of, but surely there's some more.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's been a few at Hibs- famously Gordon Strachan but they also tried to sign David Platt from Crewe in the late 1980s....

We offered the manager's post to Paul Kane but he was starting a new business and didn't take it up- the duffer we got in instead won the East of Scotland League for us and became a City legend... 

John Lambie turning down benzema at thistle.

I've never heard that before. Where did you hear it. It seems a bit odd considering Benzema was 15 when Lambie quit Thistle and we had no youth team worthy of the name. Plus He was with Lyons for years before this.

I've never heard that before. Where did you hear it. It seems a bit odd considering Benzema was 15 when Lambie quit Thistle and we had no youth team worthy of the name. Plus He was with Lyons for years before this.

Several thistle supporting mates have mentioned it numerous times over the years. taken it to be true as I can't think of any reason why they'd make it up. Can't seem to see any trace of it online mind you

Archived