Does the SPFL Know About This?

City did try and engage with these lads at the time but they just could not make any headway. Added into the mix was pressure from their landlord, Edinburgh Leisure, and the local police. They were left with the option of employing stewards at games where the crowds rarely exceed 100 at a crippling cost for a club of their size or taking the action they did.

Mock outrage from some of the fans of the bottom feeders in the SPFL shows how much they fear the play off games and actually facing the consequences of being shite every year.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

City did try and engage with these lads at the time but they just could not make any headway. Added into the mix was pressure from their landlord, Edinburgh Leisure, and the local police. They were left with the option of employing stewards at games where the crowds rarely exceed 100 at a crippling cost for a club of their size or taking the action they did.

Mock outrage from some of the fans of the bottom feeders in the SPFL shows how much they fear the play off games and actually facing the consequences of being shite every year.

The only team that's shite every year is the Shire. I would want them to go, but after reading about this I'm not so sure.

Can some of you enlightened 3rd Division fans suggest what we should do about gangs of wee neds who turn up and set the stand on fire then? Ask them politely to leave? I'd genuinely be interested to know.

Don't be polite about it! Tell them they are not welcome and if they show up again the police will be called. Ban the individuals involved rather than put sanctions on an entire age bracket.

Can some of you enlightened 3rd Division fans suggest what we should do about gangs of wee neds who turn up and set the stand on fire then? Ask them politely to leave? I'd genuinely be interested to know.

Calling the fire brigade would be a start....and it's League 2 now. I'm enlightened enough to know what league you're trying to win promotion to

Get Kez in amongst them. She's used to sorting out bams.

Their crowds rarely exceed 100? :lol: should be glad a bunch of young kids want to come along to the games

Surely that's not true. I mean, I've been to an awful lot of lower division Junior games in towns that nobody has even heard of and they get crowds comfortably over 100.

In fact, come to mention it, I've played (and coached) at boys club games with bigger crowds than that 

That is an absolutely staggering statement to make :lol:

You don't need to turn into Dog the Bounty Hunter, lift the lads and try and offer them life changing advice.  Just phone the fucking police :lol:.

It is a ridiculous policy.

I would say however when we got Ed City in the cup the club were welcoming, apart for aforementioned youngsters.

In addition, when we pulled Hibs in a later round, the Ed City supporters club invited the travelling support into their club before heading to Easter Road.

I think the board and club as a whole seem decent, just this ludicrous policy.

However I still would prefer The Shire to stay up. People talk about what clubs bring to this league as in numbers of fans continually, but never mention the club as a whole in the community or bringing youngsters through and progressing them up through their careers. Something I see as the point to some of the uber diddies in this league.

Surely that's not true. I mean, I've been to an awful lot of lower division Junior games in towns that nobody has even heard of and they get crowds comfortably over 100.

In fact, come to mention it, I've played (and coached) at boys club games with bigger crowds than that 

Average for the league this year is about 120 although they did get 893 for the game against Cove on Saturday and 344 for the petrofac cup game against Qeens Park at the start of the season.

Last season their average was 197 in all competitions and 108 in league... This season their average is 173 in all competitions (or 179 if you exclude a SCC tie reversed at hours notice) and 128 in league. That is perfectly respectable at non-league level.

Btw - I think there may be a distinction between an official policy the club has to proclaim, and what may actually happen in reality. I've attended a number of City games in recent seasons and have never seen people being turned away. I'd be surprised if they are. I could be wrong, though.

As a policy it is clearly hard to justify. Personally I don't agree with it and given the incidents happened 3 years ago hopefully it can be revoked - if they get promoted there would surely be an even higher chance of that, given bigger crowds and more income. To use the broad-brush defence of Tamthebam is also pretty nonsensical - he'd have been better saying nothing. There is a possible defence: that the council demanded / still demands it, and/or that it would have cost too much to engage stewards or police (remember clubs must pay for police assistance in or around their grounds). I recall it wasn't their first resort.

I think it's a bit OTT for people to turn against them over it. Equally I can see why it surprises or annoys people, especially regarding 17/18 year olds.

If you want to beat people with sticks over ground arrangements, there's equally the fact that Ochilview's stewards are probably the most notoriously over-zealous in lower SPFL.

However I still would prefer The Shire to stay up. People talk about what clubs bring to this league as in numbers of fans continually, but never mention the club as a whole in the community or bringing youngsters through and progressing them up through their careers. Something I see as the point to some of the uber diddies in this league.

That is not something exclusive to current SPFL clubs nor universal among them, though... City are well known for having a high proportion of their players who've come through their ranks, and having a large community and youth set-up. Without knowing I'd hazard a guess it's bigger than 'Shire's.

Calling the fire brigade would be a start....and it's League 2 now. I'm enlightened enough to know what league you're trying to win promotion to

Stick to the 3rd division. Sounds much better than this gimmicky "League 2" bollocks.

Mon the Shire.

Archived