The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

On the one hand disappointing to see the St Mirren board for once act decisively and punt an awful manager who was clearly out of his depth before all hope has been lost, seeing as whoever they bring in* is almost guaranteed to be an improvement.  Clearly going radge at your squad constantly might work for a limited period but it seems to be all he has in terms of man management.  He also seems to be unable to spot a player and signs squads full of dross.  Maybe for a change Yogi could come in and tell them they're all fantastic, although the signing policy might not change much I suppose.

On the other hand though Rae has always come across as a thoroughly unlikable guy on and off the pitch.  All you need to know about the guy:

Going for the ball mind, according to Alex McLeish.  

Nice to see him sacked really.

*Unless of course they are misguided enough to be that club that finally plucks Barry Ferguson away from Clyde and gives him the 'big' job the tabloids seem to think he merits.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, djchapsticks said:

Based on their squads, in Falkirk's case, last season's performances and the fact that they have signed well, Dundee Utd's squad as well is probably the strongest in the division outwith Hibs.

Similarly, Queens aren't the best side in the league in spite of a fantastic start and St. Mirren aren't the worst side in the league in spite of a shockingly bad start.

I don't know how to break this to you, but a teams points on the table aren't accumulated by people's opinions on how good their squad is. The very first example that springs to mind is last season's Chelsea. There will be countless more. At this moment in time Falkirk and the dabs are the 4th and 5th best teams in the league. To suggest otherwise is stupid.

Cant see it being jack ross, i think it was a gamble for us, you need a proven manager.

I think it will be gus macpherson.

Agree with this, JR is still learning and not had a full year as a senior manager yet.

St mirren need a Sam Allardyce type manager.

Thought St Mirren made some really good signings over the Summer and was surprised by your poor start to the season. The likes of Hardie, Sutton etc should perform really well at this level but by most accounts it looks like Rae's done a terrible job and deserves to be sacked.

Credit to your board for getting the inevitable done early, when there's still a glimmer of hope that you can turn it around and make the playoffs. 

5 minutes ago, DUMFRIES_CREW said:

Are you fucking serious about gus emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Poor spell at Queen of the South aside, his record is very good. St Mirren were a struggling First Division side when he took over. They were an SPL club when he left. Queen's were bottom of League Two when he arrived and we're now in League One and punching above our weight. There's no doubt in my mind that he'd get St Mirren out of the mess they are in.

13 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Seen a few calling him a snake. What's that about?

He's doing a good job as head of youth development just now.

Both McManus and James Grady played a pretty big part in Davie Irons getting sacked from Greenock Morton in 2009-ish. Irons was furious with the pair's conduct and pretty much said they both "stabbed him in the back". While Irons was getting his papers, the pair were outside the chairman's office.

Just now, Francesc Fabregas said:

Both McManus and James Grady played a pretty big part in Davie Irons getting sacked from Greenock Morton in 2009-ish. Irons was furious with the pair's conduct and pretty much said they both "stabbed him in the back". While Irons was getting his papers, the pair were outside the chairman's office.

So basically done a Tommy Craig, cheers.

1 hour ago, Waspy said:

Agree with this, JR is still learning and not had a full year as a senior manager yet.

St mirren need a Sam Allardyce type manager.

I think St Mirren got their fingers burnt with the Murray appointment and Ross is really in the same vein, a young manager doing well with a part time outfit but maybe needs more time learning his trade before taking a full time gig where expectations will be to get St Mirren back to the top tier.

I think this is reflected by his record with us when appointed, by my reckoning he won only 2 games of 18 in the championship. Yes it wasn't his team but we did have a smattering of decent players and performances did improve but at the time it was noted that in the games that really mattered against the likes of Dumbarton and Livi there was no great improvement and the team didn't appear any more motivated than before. 

Im sure Ross does have a future in management at a level well above Alloa but like Hartley who learnt his trade over a few seasons, in my opinion Ross needs to do the same. 

2 hours ago, falkirkwasp said:

Now that alex rae is away, are you guys able to recall ben gordon?

Cant recall any loan in the first 28 days. Except in cases of dire emergency with special SPFL Board permission (which basically means only fit keeper type scenarios). After that he will be able to be recalled.

I wouldn't mind Yogi for what it's worth. He will at least be entertaining and you can't argue with the job he done at Falkirk and Inverness.

Doubt he would be interested though. He left ICT cause they weren't matching his ambition or some nonsense and he was on the radio the other week saying he wanted his next job to be in the English Championship (lol).

Assuming he isn't interested, it's got to be Gus.

Archived