The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar said:

A club getting above their station!

In what way? We're a shambles and have been for three years now. I don't think it's above our station to expect better than 3 draws from first six league games. Especially when two of the three best sides in the league (Falkikr and Dundee Utd) are coming in the next three weeks. 

Hughes will be favourite I'd reckon.

Maybe this could be Latapy's time to get a managers gig.

Hughes will be favourite.
Ross will be second.
Third will be Pressley.
Followed by Latapy in fourth.

As when ever a Scottish lower league vacancy pops up, the bookies favourites all seem to go on who's mentioned the most on here :lol:

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

This decision makes sense.  St Mirren really need to be making the play-offs.  If that's looking unlikely this early, a change probably feels necessary, before it's too late to affect the season.

Christ, it's looking unlikely we'd have even made the relegation playoffs at that rate.

Seems a strange time to make this decision with such little football having been played and so little opportunity to strengthen the squad.

Is it that the board feel that rae isnt getting enough from good players or has recruited poorly?

3 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

Seems a strange time to make this decision with such little football having been played and so little opportunity to strengthen the squad.

Is it that the board feel that rae isnt getting enough from good players or has recruited poorly?

If there were green shoots of recovery amidst the madness that has been our start to the season, then I'd share your surprise. As it was, we've toiled badly and not been close to being the better side in any of our first six league matches. There was no improvement and there wasn't really going to be.

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Christ, it's looking unlikely we'd have even made the relegation playoffs at that rate.

Yes, but do you not think there's a reasonable assumption to be made that the side should pull away from trouble as happened last season, despite them never becoming very good?

Even though they're badly placed right now, I'd imagine there's more disquiet about the gap opening between St Mirren and the clubs near the top, than any direct concern over those nearby.

Don't really get the calls for Jack Ross. He's doing a good job at Alloa, but they should have learned from Ian Murray that there is a world of difference from managing an upward looking part-time club to managing a big (for that level) full-time club on the slide. Not saying he couldn't/wouldn't manage or do well, just saying it's a gamble that they can't afford to take at this moment and they should be going for a known quantity until the club is stabilised. Someone who would instantly command respect off the players, knows the league, and isn't pre-occupied by getting his sides to play the 'right way' would be my criteria if I was a St Mirren fan.

That does leave a particularly short list though.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, but do you not think there's a reasonable assumption to be made that the side should pull away from trouble as happened last season, despite them never becoming very good?

Even though they're badly placed right now, I'd imagine there's more disquiet about the gap opening between St Mirren and the clubs near the top, than any direct concern over those nearby.

Of course there is. And it's still technically not too late now if we appoint correctly. My point was though that if it had been left to continue, there would have been zero point in looking at teams in 4th an up, we'd have never troubled above 8th this season. Who knows? We still might not!!

As i pointed out earlier on this thread, we are a terrible proposition for a young manager. We kill managers' careers. I want to see an experienced hand in charge: just because the 'up and coming' approach worked to varying extents with Hendrie, Gus and Danny, doesn't mean we have to go that way every single time.

Great news for the club and credit to the BOD for acting swiftly. We will make a good appointment one day. It clearly wasn't Alex Rae, so now we try again.

Rae was a shouty, sweary hard man style manager. He came in and that was what the squad needed initially and he certainly improved things last season. However, he and his archaic methods were quickly found out.

When it came to building his own squad in the summer he failed spectacularly. I was expecting a major clear out in and it simply never happened. Ten of our first eleven on the first day of this season played for us last season.

Duds like Webster, Shankland, Gallagher, Langfield and Clarkson who were all part of our failure last season should all have been rinsed in the summer. Remarkably they were all retained, unsurprisingly they all stayed shite.

When he did add players he added them in the wrong position. He went about signing multiple centre halves and centre forwards while neglecting the middle of the park. Lo and behold Rocco Quinn gets injured and we are left with two centre midfielders in the squad. The partnership of Mallan and Hutton wasn't working but we couldn't change it as we didn't have anyone else. He then ends up punting centre half Ben Gordon out on loan after one competitive appearance, presumably to free up wages for a centre mid. Shambolic indeed. All this and more is why he simply had to go.

As for the new manager, personally I would go for Gus McPherson. He took us from this position to an established top flight side a decade ago and he's currently doing very well with Queens Park. I believe him and our chairman are also good pals. Either him or Jack Ross.

Archived