The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

13 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Once we had Clarkson, Sutton and Hardie tied up there was no need to add Shankland to that. The priority should have been the middle of the park. We the. Discovered that Aberdeen would be willing to give us Shankland back, and with him being better than at least 2 of the strikers Rae had already signed he jumped at the chance, blew his budget and left us woefully short in the middle of the park.

I thought we got Shankland back before Hardie. But either way, your point stands.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought we got Shankland back before Hardie. But either way, your point stands.

Yeah I think we did.

I'd keep Shankland ahead of Hardie. Shankland is a natural goalscorer.

Always felt with Danny Lennon there was unfinished business.

From what I heard at the weekend Rae has lost the dressing room.

30 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Yeah I think we did.

I'd keep Shankland ahead of Hardie. Shankland is a natural goalscorer.

Always felt with Danny Lennon there was unfinished business.

From what I heard at the weekend Rae has lost the dressing room.

I've heard similar, the writing is on the wall for Rae. Given that he's made a monumental f**k up with such an unbalanced squad and more than a few suggestions that the players have no faith in him.

11 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I've heard similar, the writing is on the wall for Rae. Given that he's made a monumental f**k up with such an unbalanced squad and more than a few suggestions that the players have no faith in him.

The fact is, we are currently less than the sum of our parts. It is rare that that can be blamed on anything but management.

6 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

The fact is, we are currently less than the sum of our parts. It is rare that that can be blamed on anything but management.

I can't see him resigning as he's most definitely at the last chance saloon in terms of managerial opportunities. 

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

I can't see him resigning as he's most definitely at the last chance saloon in terms of managerial opportunities. 

Incredible, really, how frequently we turn out to be a manager's last chance saloon. 

With all due respect to the clubs that some of the following have gone on to manage, you can go back 30 years and none of our managers have gone on to anything significantly better. Sideways at best. f**k, Iain Munro only came for a day and even that was enough to curse his career :lol:

Come to St Mirren: you'll never work again.

59B5tzv.png

11 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Incredible, really, how frequently we turn out to be a manager's last chance saloon. 

With all due respect to the clubs that some of the following have gone on to manage, you can go back 30 years and none of our managers have gone on to anything significantly better. Sideways at best. f**k, Iain Munro only came for a day and even that was enough to curse his career :lol:

59B5tzv.png

All the more reason for Gordon Scott and the new board to make sure the next man is experienced and has previous experience of doing a job at this level.

Looking at that list mind you, it makes for a worrying trend. :)

11 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

All the more reason for Gordon Scott and the new board to make sure the next man is experienced and has previous experience of doing a job at this level.

Looking at that list mind you, it makes for a worrying trend. :)

The growing trend now for managers is 40+ and ex player and if that doesnt work, repeat the same action.  The experienced folk like Houstie and Duffy are deemed dinosaurs.

Id suspect the next two games will shape where it goes, two wins can make a lot of a difference in this league

38 minutes ago, MrDust said:

The growing trend now for managers is 40+ and ex player and if that doesnt work, repeat the same action.  The experienced folk like Houstie and Duffy are deemed dinosaurs.

Id suspect the next two games will shape where it goes, two wins can make a lot of a difference in this league

We look like a team devoid of any kind of confidence with players in defence who are frankly just rank rotten. 

I would agree that a couple of wins can make a difference, but I honestly don't see a win coming anytime soon. This is the poorest side we've had in years. Having said that I reckon a half decent experienced guy like Yogi could get much more from this squad.

3 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

Even in public he's hardly showing he has faith in the players. I'd love to see what happens in training if they aren't being told to hoof the ball every week.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

59B5tzv.png

We really are a cursed club. The most successful were probably Gus and Danny and they were pretty much chased out the club. 

57 minutes ago, MrDust said:

I wouldn't have said Houston was a dinosaur, the most annoying thing about him was when he referred to the top league as the SPFL but he seems to have cut that out now. Done well at United and Falkirk although there is more pressure on him this season after the success of last season.

Lennon was hardly chased out the club his contract came to an end and it wasn't renewed is that not what happened?  Also bar the cup win(Which i'll be forever grateful for) i can remember that season being pretty horrific so maybe that'll be why he was "hounded out" seems to be what ever league we are in its just relegation battle .  I agree some bright spells but i also agreed that it was time for a change with him.   

The problems are heavily deep rooted within St Mirren football club they must be.  We seem to appoint one bomb scare after another and the club never seems to have any sense of direction just rumble on from week to week lose blame the players the manager whoever.  Just need to hope at some point the new board shed some light on the future of our club because it just looks like a black hole right now lol

After a pretty bright end to last season compared to the Murray's start.  I'm a bit surprised to how awful we are another long drawn out nightmare of a season ahead.

22 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

I notice Div posting on the black & White that he doesn't expect Rae to survive another loss at Dumbarton on sat. He goes on that Gordon Scott doesn't mess about.

Then we get Tony Fitz telling everyone to get behind Rae and his staff.  No idea what doesnt mess about but do we really think he'll get punted on Saturday if we get beat i highly doubt it.

25 minutes ago, paisleysaints said:

Then we get Tony Fitz telling everyone to get behind Rae and his staff.  No idea what doesnt mess about but do we really think he'll get punted on Saturday if we get beat i highly doubt it.

I imagine if by the end of the first quarter that we find ourselves still in bottom place then he'll be for the off. 

I hope for the sake of everyone we can turn things around but it doesn't look good from the outside looking in at our performances so far.

A couple of wins could kick start the season if we can sort out the defensive issues.

McKenzie and Gordon or Baird who at least has youth and some pace to his game, should be starting on sat.

I would drop Naismith and stick Irvine in at right back with one of the two youngsters at left back.

Archived