The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FalkirkBuddie said:

It would be help if Irvine was played in the right hand side.

Can't understand the logic behind playing a natural right back in the left back berth. Irvine has been very poor at left back whilst we have a young kid in Jordan Stewart who is miles better at left back, his natural position.

1 hour ago, FalkirkBuddie said:

AR & DF will be here until the end of the season then that's it. They are away when their contract is up. They won't be sacked as its a waste of money to pay them off. Realistically we aren't going up this season anyway. We need Hibs & Utd out this division and replaced with 2 lesser teams. Just need to enjoy as many games as possible and if it goes pear shaped hope Rae walks. I'm sure we could all make him walk if we put our minds to it

If we are still playing poorly and not getting results in October I know who i'll be betting on for next manager to be sacked. He was the old boards choice. 

It is crazy to be talking like this only a few games in so lets see how it pans out but I don't think AR & DF can bank on seeing the season out regardless.

We cannot afford to let Mallan go as we cannot afford a player of his calibre to replace him. We consistently produce a better standard of player than we buy in. Some of our best midfielders in recent times have been McLean, McGinn and Mallan all of whom have come through our youth system. Once Mallan leaves there is no way we would be able to afford any of the three.

We lost Kenny McLean replaced him with Alan Gow. We lost John McGinn replaced him with Scott Agnew and Stuart Carswell. Talk of selling Mallan to allow us to get in replacements is crazy when his replacement will likely be half the player or if we are going by the last 2, no comparison at all. I'd far rather Mallan than 2 diddies, which is probably what we can afford.

It's pretty evident that with Saints fans that we don't know what we have until they are gone.

Was trying to think of any midfielders we could realistically bring in if we get a few out on loan, and Lappin makes sense. Can play deep midfield and pick a pass, he's also left sided which adds a bit of balance to the midfield. Downside is he's pretty slow and isn't very gritty, not really a natural defensive midfielder, 

It looks like we're stuck with Rae until his contract runs out at the end of this season. So if as expected Ben Gordon is shunted out on loan and he's given funds to sign a midfielder do we trust him to get it right given the total imbalance of the current squad.

If Rae goes on for the season and makes a rip roaring c**t of the job then his time in management will be up in my opinion.

10 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

If Rae goes on for the season and makes a rip roaring c**t of the job then his time in management will be up in my opinion.

I don't see why it's so difficult.

I can see why, say, Gary Teale had a hard job. He was inexperienced, Craig had completely destroyed morale, Teale's appointment was a complete farce of whataboutery and hesitancy, McLean got sold at the end of the transfer window with no chance of a replacement, and our best player had been allowed to walk away to Dundee at the start of the season, AND there was a power struggle with Thommo and Goodwin variously annoyed about the way they had been treated. Also, our strips were fucking gash.

Teale, then, had a tough job. Rae steadied the ship last season and was given the gift of minimal expectations. He has been given a decent budget and has been able to bring in some decent signings. Yet he has failed to balance the squad, failed to bring in a suitable player to play the position that he himself used to play, and despite all that has still created a team that appears to be less than the sum of its parts.

He needs to admit he's wrong, bring in a DM and shift the tactics slightly. That's literally all he needs to do. Even if he can't bring in a player, there are other options available with the personnel we have.

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

It looks like we're stuck with Rae until his contract runs out at the end of this season. So if as expected Ben Gordon is shunted out on loan and he's given funds to sign a midfielder do we trust him to get it right given the total imbalance of the current squad.

If he is signing a midfielder, wouldn't that be him fixing the imbalance of the squad? Sacking Rae is absolutely ludicrous talk.

1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

:lol:

It's hilariously bad.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

He needs to admit he's wrong, bring in a DM and shift the tactics slightly. That's literally all he needs to do. Even if he can't bring in a player, there are other options available with the personnel we have.

Where has he stoutly defended his recruitment this summer? If the rumours are to be believed and he is looking to offload a defender in order to bring in a midfielder isn't that him admitting he is wrong? Why can't he play with 4 in the midfield with one of them being a defensive minded central midfielder? Hibs managed it.

He has brought in some decent players, some guff ones too however every manager does. Had Quinn not got injured things would've been different and we may not have been having this discussion about the sudden imbalance of the squad - that's just the luck with injuries. Rae couldn't foresee that.

Had Rae signed an extra midfielder instead of another striker and one of the strikers got injured leaving only 2, people would've been moaning about the lack of options up front. It's a lose-lose situation with injuries when you don't have the budget to stretch to a squad of 25 decent players.

It's 3 weeks into the season, this knickerwetting is quite frankly horrendous.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

I don't see why it's so difficult.

If it's that simple, you get in touch with Alex Rae with a deal completed for a defensive midfielder on terms and a contract that will fit in with our budget and improve the team. The answer is not Jim Goodwin who has all of sudden become some sort of world beater.   

30 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

If he is signing a midfielder, wouldn't that be him fixing the imbalance of the squad? Sacking Rae is absolutely ludicrous talk.

It's hilariously bad.

Where has he stoutly defended his recruitment this summer? If the rumours are to be believed and he is looking to offload a defender in order to bring in a midfielder isn't that him admitting he is wrong? Why can't he play with 4 in the midfield with one of them being a defensive minded central midfielder? Hibs managed it.

He has brought in some decent players, some guff ones too however every manager does. Had Quinn not got injured things would've been different and we may not have been having this discussion about the sudden imbalance of the squad - that's just the luck with injuries. Rae couldn't foresee that.

Had Rae signed an extra midfielder instead of another striker and one of the strikers got injured leaving only 2, people would've been moaning about the lack of options up front. It's a lose-lose situation with injuries when you don't have the budget to stretch to a squad of 25 decent players.

If it's that simple, you get in touch with Alex Rae with a deal completed for a defensive midfielder on terms and a contract that will fit in with our budget and improve the team. The answer is not Jim Goodwin who has all of sudden become some sort of world beater.   

Jim Goodwin is exactly the type of player required at this moment in time. 

He should have been given another years contract.

44 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

It's hilariously bad.

You've chopped and changed my quotes a bit there - I was referring to the whole scenario, not just the DM thing, and I think I've explained why Rae has had an easier job to do than certain other managers in our recent past.

I wouldn't be complaining about the lack of forward options: I think we need to play one up front, with support from Walsh, Morgan and Mallan, so three strikers for one slot is plenty.

I'm not calling for his head, I'm saying there are easy tweaks he can make that could get the fans onside and save his job. You and I have disagreed on the formation we play on other threads - do you feel it's going well enough now to stick with 4-4-2? 

For me, Mallan needs to pushed further forward behind a central striker. Stevie, Morgan, and Walsh are all creative, attacking players. They need to be given a bit more freedom to get forward. Two holding midfielders would go some way to helping them. 

21 minutes ago, ulysses said:

For me, Mallan needs to pushed further forward behind a central striker. Stevie, Morgan, and Walsh are all creative, attacking players. They need to be given a bit more freedom to get forward. Two holding midfielders would go some way to helping them. 

Agreed, Mallan played all of his best football playing just behind the striker. He's a luxury player in a lot of respects but he's been asked to play far too deep at present.

19 minutes ago, ulysses said:

Yep. I nearly added a formation to my above post...

A front six of:

---------    Hutton - Quinn ------------

Walsh -------- Mallan ------- Morgan

-------------- (Sutton/Hardie) ----------

Looks ideal to me. Protects the defence, gives Mallan the freedom he needs, contains plenty of attacking options.

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

A front six of:

Looks ideal to me. Protects the defence, gives Mallan the freedom he needs, contains plenty of attacking options.

Yep, looks good. 

I think Hardie played that role for Raith last year, so it wouldn't be unfamiliar to him. 

A front six of:

Looks good but I'd be surprised if it happens in the near future. Obviously there isn't anyone to replace him as of now but the similarities between Hutton and Carswell are terrifying, genuinely have no idea what either do/did for the midfield.

Jim Goodwin is exactly the type of player required at this moment in time. 

He should have been given another years contract.

Goodwin was quite rightly let go, the mistake however was not signing a similar style of player to replace him.

23 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

He needs to admit he's wrong, bring in a DM and shift the tactics slightly.

Apparently a DM played as a trialist in the under 20s game against Sevco. Lee Cox, formerly of ICT and Plymouth.

That's one of the three - now we just need that tactical shift. I'll take the admission of error as implicit ;)

Archived