The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

37 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Apparently a DM played as a trialist in the under 20s game against Sevco. Lee Cox, formerly of ICT and Plymouth.

That's one of the three - now we just need that tactical shift. I'll take the admission of error as implicit ;)

We have enough cox on the park as it is.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Stu said:

We have enough cox on the park as it is.

True enough.

I hope he makes the grade: DMs seem to be rarer than trophies with Morton's name on at the moment. Probably something to do with young players all wanting to do the glamorous stuff. 

Based on nothing other than his wiki page, his career seems to have tailed off since a shoulder injury three years ago. He's young enough yet, though. I'm just relieved that, whether he signs or not, it seems Rae is aware of our main problem and is trying to fix it.

If we were to actually loan out a defender I'd rather see Jack Baird go out and get 30-35 games under his belt and build a bit of confidence up. Decent prospect who has been thrown in at the deep end in the last 12 months or so, now that we have decent options at the back we should let him go and play football where there won't be as much pressure on him.

PDE sports journalist on Twitter:

Understand that St Mirren won't be following up their interest in the trialist that featured against Rangers U20s last night.

Also, reports in one paper today that ex Falkirk rightback Kieran Duffy is training with us, which I think was mentioned on the forums at the end of last season.

1 hour ago, ulysses said:

Looks like Dundee won't be in again for Mallan. Our valuation (200k apparently) is much higher than what they're willing to pay.

I think £200K is a fair price for Mallan. Won't be a kick in the pants off the compensation amount I suspect. 

1 minute ago, flyingscot said:

I think £200K is a fair price for Mallan. Won't be a kick in the pants off the compensation amount I suspect. 

Exactly. Why would we sell even for half that when we know we can get much more at the end of his contract, or he'll sign another one with us. 

I just hope there isn't a last minute bid we can't refuse then we don't have the time to replace him, which has been mentioned before is pretty impossible anyway unless we bring back Dorman.

1 hour ago, flyingscot said:

I don't. Dundee sold Stewart (26) for £500,000 plus add-ons after scoring 11 goals as a striker last season. Mallan (20) scored 14 goals as a midfielder in one of the shittiest teams to ever wear the stripes and he has still another 2 years on his contract. £200,000 fair? You have got to be joking.

I don't. Dundee sold Stewart (26) for £500,000 plus add-ons after scoring 11 goals as a striker last season. Mallan (20) scored 14 goals as a midfielder in one of the shittiest teams to ever wear the stripes and he has still another 2 years on his contract. £200,000 fair? You have got to be joking.

Firstly, Stewart played in midfield for us. Secondly, he was twice nominated for PotY in the top flight.
Thirdly, he assisted pretty much 90% of our goals.

The comparison is a shite one regardless of the point you're getting at and the value of that opinion.

4 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Firstly, Stewart played in midfield for us. Secondly, he was twice nominated for PotY in the top flight.

The comparison is a shite one regardless of the point you're getting at and the value of that opinion.

In that case good luck without him See you next season

16 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Pish. Mallan is a better prospect than John McGinn was at the same age. Dundee's offer was farcical. In your dreams will Mallan ever end up at Dundee. He will end up at a far more successful club than Stewart ever will.

Archived