The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, QosLoyal said:

Nervous about the game in 2 weeks time. St mirren will turn it around at some point just hope its not at our expense.

Our first win of last season came in early September against you. I don't think you need to worry about history repeating itself - Dobbie will have a field day.

18 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

Surprised how poorly the saints have started.  I know it's only early days but I thought you be right up there challenging for the title. What's going wrong?

In short, Rae has assembled, on paper at least, a very good squad of individual players for the most part. However he has not assembled a team. The squad is heavily imbalanced and I think Rae knows deep down he has made an arse of things in this respect.

On matchday itself, a mixture of baffling tactics, questionable squad rotation and the absence of any tempo or confidence is compounded by losing an early goal (inside 20 minutes normally) and we go to pieces. Shots on target are a rare commodity which would largely explain scoring only three goals in four league games. Goals aside, our midfield struggle to control the ball effectively and to complete basic passes, thus struggling to supply the strikeforce. In addition our defence are throwing goals away every week.. In sum, we are a complete and utter shambles from back to front.

The above could perhaps be forgiven if there was some degree of passion and grit shown by the players, but there's nothing. 

What I will say is that we are beset by injuries. I'm also really surprised that people are calling for Rae to go already, given what he achieved when he inherited Murray's mess last season. I'll not be calling for his head anytime soon, but that said, we are appalling to watch and our attendances will only dwindle if there's no upturn in fortunes soon.

1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

Good piece. We didn't finish 5th last year though.

It says "almost salvaged fifth" and I haven't changed it - unless it's somewhere else and I've missed it?

24 minutes ago, Stu said:

It says "almost salvaged fifth" and I haven't changed it - unless it's somewhere else and I've missed it?

My mistake! Sorry! By the time we got to Rae's tenure I was so utterly depressed that I mustn't have been giving it my full attention.

At one point I thought to myself 'we haven't been that bad, have we?', then I quickly thought, 'yes, we definitely have.'

• 2 weeks later...

I think the fans are resigned to our fate. We've started the last 4 seasons with 4 different managers and been honking at the start of the season for the 4rd season in a row. In the end it takes a special kind of club to keep appointing wallopers and be so shit for so long.

We're only two wins off fourth place still. It's not too late to make this season something other than totally fucking abject.

Get Rae to f**k. Get a manager in with more than five years' experience. Forbid him from playing 4-4-2.

I'd go for Hughes, personally.

21 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

We're only two wins off fourth place still. It's not too late to make this season something other than totally fucking abject.

Get Rae to f**k. Get a manager in with more than five years' experience. Forbid him from playing 4-4-2.

I'd go for Hughes, personally.

It's all a bit of a mess now, I can't see Rae lasting any longer than the end of this month.

As poor as Webster was on sat I felt genuinely sorry for him when Rae hooked him in the second half. He should have been spared the embarrassment and substituted at half time. 

The likes of Yogi or Gus could get much more out of the current squad as it's patently obvious the players don't believe in Rae.

26 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

It's all a bit of a mess now, I can't see Rae lasting any longer than the end of this month.

As poor as Webster was on sat I felt genuinely sorry for him when Rae hooked him in the second half. He should have been spared the embarrassment and substituted at half time. 

The likes of Yogi or Gus could get much more out of the current squad as it's patently obvious the players don't believe in Rae.

Agreed.

I'm normally dead against sacking managers so quickly, but we gave Craig til December, while Murray walked in December (would we ever have pushed him?!), and in both cases it left the seasons un-salvageable (McLean sale aside). Two points from 15 in this league is atrocious, and it's not like we're losing 1-0 and hitting the post five times a game - the defensive confidence is shot and we're not creating chances. 

On the flip side, I can see why Gordon Scott might not want to start his chairmanship by coming in and sacking the manager almost immediately, but he very firmly wanted the role and surely doesn't want to be the chairman who took us down to the third tier for the first time.

Rae strikes me as the type of manager that's quick to give his team a bollocking any chance he gets. Might have worked last season when he was a fresh face and it clearly got them winning games, but maybe it's not a style that works long-term. Our team look absolutely bereft of confidence. They need someone to build up their confidence, not slate them at every opportunity - that's our job :P

4 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Agreed.

I'm normally dead against sacking managers so quickly, but we gave Craig til December, while Murray walked in December (would we ever have pushed him?!), and in both cases it left the seasons un-salvageable (McLean sale aside). Two points from 15 in this league is atrocious, and it's not like we're losing 1-0 and hitting the post five times a game - the defensive confidence is shot and we're not creating chances. 

On the flip side, I can see why Gordon Scott might not want to start his chairmanship by coming in and sacking the manager almost immediately, but he very firmly wanted the role and surely doesn't want to be the chairman who took us down to the third tier for the first time.

I haven't seen much from St Mirren this season but surely you guys are better than that?

15 hours ago, geo87 said:

Genuinely don't understand the clamour to have gus back from some posters? Where has this come from?

Agreed. Is it because Gordon Scott was a fan of him as our manager at the time? Gus did us a job, but time had come for him and us to go our different ways. He's hardly set the heather on fire since, although seems to be doing fine at Queens Park. 

12 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

I haven't seen much from St Mirren this season but surely you guys are better than that?

Absolutely not. This is a team on relegation form. Pourous at the back, midfield as soft as a marshmallow and a front line that has to drop deep to see a ball. Quinn is our only midfielder with any dig and composure and he is injured having played 1 league cup game and 40 mins in a challenge cup game. Rae never thought of a replacement just 'moar strikers'. We have some talent, but the squad is badly balanced. 

Once we had Clarkson, Sutton and Hardie tied up there was no need to add Shankland to that. The priority should have been the middle of the park. We the. Discovered that Aberdeen would be willing to give us Shankland back, and with him being better than at least 2 of the strikers Rae had already signed he jumped at the chance, blew his budget and left us woefully short in the middle of the park.

Archived