The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

18 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

IF we somehow scrape the play-off position, wouldn't it be ironic if Goody relegates us with Alloa? 

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jim-goodwin-desperate-lead-alloa-9593890

What a man :wub:. As we all know the problem wasn't getting rid of Danny, it was appointing Tommy Craig as manager within what, 48 hours? I think we lost the players right at that moment and we were relegated.

We won games without Goody last season but Rae didn't replace him and there aren't that many players like him anymore in Scotland believe it or not. Don't think the youth players these days are being moulded into that kind of player anymore.

If we are playing in League 1 next season I think we'll still be full time with the majority of the squad made up with youngsters. Jack Ross will be the manager unless something drastic change in circumstances like a few more of they QotS performances then questions should be asked.

That League Cup seems like a curse just like the Scottish Cup was in 87. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Absolutely not. Guys like Langfield, Webster and Clarkson have been a huge part of the problem and they certainly aren't going to provide a solution, even in the seaside leagues, the sooner they have no further affiliation with the club, the better IMO. The only exceptions I'd perhaps make are Sutton and Irvine and even at that, I don't think either would be irreplaceable by any stretch.

Jury is still out on Gary MacKenzie for me. He flits between looking very comfortable and then has moments of utter bombscare.

For me, Irvine, Sutton, Mallan, Baird, Morgan, McAllister and Magennis can stay. (Mackenzie and Gordon, possibly)....everyone else, out! I haven't included McLear, Stewart or Whyte there as they're still on the cusp of the squad.

Aye get them in the sea.

Sutton should score 15-20 goals in League 1 you'd imagine.

1 minute ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Aye get them in the sea.

Sutton should score 15-20 goals in League 1 you'd imagine.

I'd genuinely be offering all three a severance package just now. Yeah, not financially ideal but if they sever for even a slightly smaller percentage just now, it'll save a bit in the long run.

^^^ the players quoted above might gel into a good team in league 1 . . .

In this league your up against hibs and utd with their superior budgets and of course the Famous which just blow everyone away. Falkirk and Raith are good teams. We are good team on our day but we been struggling recent months. It's a very competitive league and perhaps at step back words into league 1 will let you return a stronger club. Either way good luck for the rest of the season I think you need it

3 hours ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

^^^ the players quoted above might gel into a good team in league 1 . . .

In this league your up against hibs and utd with their superior budgets and of course the Famous which just blow everyone away. Falkirk and Raith are good teams. We are good team on our day but we been struggling recent months. It's a very competitive league and perhaps at step back words into league 1 will let you return a stronger club. Either way good luck for the rest of the season I think you need it

You know people said that about us dropping into the Championship. You might win more, become stronger, play kids more. It was shiter than the Premiership was. 

13 minutes ago, McG said:

Rory Loy picks st.mirren ahead of Morton and Queens.

Im told Morton are fuming as they thought they had him in the bag.

Have heard the rumours, but will wait till I see him in a Saints shirt before I believe it.

Probably about as good as we could have hoped for at the moment IF he does sign.

12 minutes ago, McG said:

Rory Loy picks st.mirren ahead of Morton and Queens.

Im told Morton are fuming as they thought they had him in the bag.

Excellent. Thats a good signing you've got, good player desperate to play, hopefully he bangs a few goals in.

Loy has scored goals for the Dee, but has not played enough for himself I'm sure. He was first choice at the start of last season and then Hemmings started to play brilliantly coinciding with an injury for Loy, so hard to get back in.
This season he started on the first day but over a very sticky period when we couldn't win Hartley shuffled the front. Since Haber has come in alongside either or both of Wighton and El Bahktoui we've looked more likely to score. Frankly it's not imho a reflection on any deficiency on Loy's part but more on the style being played.
Buddies, give him the ball in front of goal with difficult angles and he'll score. Especially if the ball is in front of him.
Good luck and please pump the Tadgerines.

10 minutes ago, Chateau Lafite said:

Loy has scored goals for the Dee, but has not played enough for himself I'm sure. He was first choice at the start of last season and then Hemmings started to play brilliantly coinciding with an injury for Loy, so hard to get back in.
This season he started on the first day but over a very sticky period when we couldn't win Hartley shuffled the front. Since Haber has come in alongside either or both of Wighton and El Bahktoui we've looked more likely to score. Frankly it's not imho a reflection on any deficiency on Loy's part but more on the style being played.
Buddies, give him the ball in front of goal with difficult angles and he'll score. Especially if the ball is in front of him.

Spot on. That's it in a nutshell.

16 minutes ago, Chateau Lafite said:

I've genuinely lost count of how many shots we've screwed wide of target from those tight sort of angles this season. Someone who could find a corner with even one in 3 of those chances would be a fucking godsend.

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Absolutely not. Guys like Langfield, Webster and Clarkson have been a huge part of the problem and they certainly aren't going to provide a solution, even in the seaside leagues, the sooner they have no further affiliation with the club, the better IMO. The only exceptions I'd perhaps make are Sutton and Irvine and even at that, I don't think either would be irreplaceable by any stretch.

Jury is still out on Gary MacKenzie for me. He flits between looking very comfortable and then has moments of utter bombscare.

For me, Irvine, Sutton, Mallan, Baird, Morgan, McAllister and Magennis can stay. (Mackenzie and Gordon, possibly)....everyone else, out! I haven't included McLear, Stewart or Whyte there as they're still on the cusp of the squad.

Do you think St. Mirren could afford to keep those players if you were relegated? 

1 minute ago, Mr.Blue said:

Do you think St. Mirren could afford to keep those players if you were relegated? 

Sutton is on a 2 year contract as is MacKenzie (and maybe Gordon?), Irvine is out of contract and the rest are all youngsters.

The only ones I'd forsee us struggling to keep are Mallan (who may not even be here by close of the window anyway), Morgan and McAllister as there will be clubs in better positions sniffing about.

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Sutton is on a 2 year contract as is MacKenzie (and maybe Gordon?), Irvine is out of contract and the rest are all youngsters.

The only ones I'd forsee us struggling to keep are Mallan (who may not even be here by close of the window anyway), Morgan and McAllister as there will be clubs in better positions sniffing about.

Both MacKenzie and Gordon are 1 year deals.

The only other player on a 2 year deal, apart from Sutton, is ...................Kyle Hutton.:(

Just remembered, Rocco "sixty minutes" Quinn is also in contract for next season.:(

Archived