The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

10 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Amazin the criticism Rae received for signing too many strikers and not having a balanced squad. Then their big signing in the January transfer window is...err.. another striker!   

To be fair, though, the strikers they do have are rank rotten

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Amazin the criticism Rae received for signing too many strikers and not having a balanced squad. Then their big signing in the January transfer window is...err.. another striker!   

Which would be an excellent point, but for the fact we've let Hardie and Walsh go, and there's talk Shankland could be away as well. Clarkson is pish. We've also signed a holding midfielder, albeit an untried one, in Storie.

The criticism of Rae was utterly justified, and we need a striker who can score. Ross is simply trying to address that squad imbalance, but is working in a difficult market.

1 minute ago, TurbineTon said:

You'll need more than Loy to salvage your Titanic esque season.

That may well be the case, but what do you want us to do? Not sign players? 

10 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Rae was criticised for because he signed Hardie after Quinn injured himself against Livi.

Ross to be fair has already signed a defensive mid, although banished Hutton to darkest Lanarkshire. 

There is not much that can be done to fix a dreadfully unbalanced squad in January. 

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Which would be an excellent point, but for the fact we've let Hardie and Walsh go, and there's talk Shankland could be away as well. Clarkson is pish. We've also signed a holding midfielder, albeit an untried one, in Storie.

The criticism of Rae was utterly justified, and we need a striker who can score. Ross is simply trying to address that squad imbalance, but is working in a difficult market.

That may well be the case, but what do you want us to do? Not sign players? 

The thing is I don't believe Hardie, Walsh or Shankland are poor players, but they didn't perform, which would indicate the problems lie elsewhere.

Loy is a good player at this level and when you think of it a bit of a miraculous signing given the position you are in. Not many players would have went into a relegation fight with options elsewhere. 

11 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

The thing is I don't believe Hardie, Walsh or Shankland are poor players, but they didn't perform, which would indicate the problems lie elsewhere.

Loy is a good player at this level and when you think of it a bit of a miraculous signing given the position you are in. Not many players would have went into a relegation fight with options elsewhere. 

Yeah, that's fair. I thought Hardie and Sutton were incredible signings, TBH (ignoring the squad imbalance issue, as Alex Rae clearly did). I think we're just trying to stop the rot and doing so needs more of a clean sweep than gentle tweaks. 

16 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Neither do I, but confidence started low and sort of dropped from there. Shankland is the most obvious, he looks a shell of the decent player he did last season and it's fair to say most of us lauded the signing of both him and Hardie in spite of vocal issues about the balance of the squad. 

We knew our defence and holding midfield areas were weak at the start of the season as well. We lost our best defender in Keith Watson and a capable centre half/left back in Sean Kelly and replaced them with Gary MacKenzie and Ben Gordon who both got injured right off the bat, as did Quinn. So at that point we recognised that while it wouldn't make sense to sign another centre half and overload the area there, we should at least get someone in who would provide that steely dig and protect the lack of pace and lack of experience that Webster and Baird possessed respectively. Hutton, right from the off, clearly wasn't that man so when it looked like there was only space for one more player in the already unbalanced squad and with logic dictating a midfield enforcer to let Mallan play further up, he went with another centre forward. Most of us would have accepted going with Sutton, Shankland and even Clarkson up top until January with Kalvin Orsi in the U20s or even Lewis McLear who would have probably filled the spot on the bench if we were in a real bind.

So, the shite start, the leaky, soft as shite centre (which up until the last 30 mins on NYE and last Saturday, had looked a lot more stable) and the ease with which we were losing sort of kicked us into a tail spin. Shankland put on a bit of beef (which has mostly come back off now), looked totally devoid of confidence and Hardie decided pretty quickly that this wasn't really for him. Walsh was a strange one, always looked decent but just wasn't given a fair crack. A bit timid at times but 90% of wingers are perennial shitebags anyway.

Loy left us, a team fighting it out near the top of the champ who'd just been in a cup final to join dundee and play at a higher level obviously for more dosh( I presume Saints are' nt paying all his wages as I seem to remember they were a fair whack when compared to what we were paying him). He's now going to be playing for the team at the very bottom of the championship only what a season and a half later?  Funny how things can change so quickly.Sometimes the grass aint always greener as they say.

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

Loy left us, a team fighting it out near the top of the champ who'd just been in a cup final to join dundee and play at a higher level obviously for more dosh( I presume Saints are' nt paying all his wages as I seem to remember they were a fair whack when compared to what we were paying him). He's now going to be playing for the team at the very bottom of the championship only what a season and a half later?  Funny how things can change so quickly.Sometimes the grass aint always greener as they say.

To be fair, our grass is greener than your artificial shite!

11 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Football is full of those kinds of stories. Junior Mendes is the one that always springs to mind for us. A casual glance down his career (below) shows his best days were with us - I felt especially wounded by his move to Dunfermline. OK, he did ok for Mansfield, and probably made decent money from his many, many transfers, but that career summary just screams 'journeyman'. 

Same could easily end up applying to Loy.

zOgofM6.png

Well, quite clearly it was. As he's had two seasons playing in the top flight of Scottish football at a much larger club on higher wages whilst Falkirk haven't done much, if anything in that time other than be ragdolled by Kilmarnock.

Loy's now joining St Mirren on loan, whilst still receiving a wage higher than he'd have received at Falkirk.

51 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Well, quite clearly it was. As he's had two seasons playing in the top flight of Scottish football at a much larger club on higher wages whilst Falkirk haven't done much, if anything in that time other than be ragdolled by Kilmarnock.

Loy's now joining St Mirren on loan, whilst still receiving a wage higher than he'd have received at Falkirk.

Wouldn't disagree at all with the bigger club better wages aspect of it, nor grudge Loy's ambition, but I think Shadwell's angle was that despite all that being fair enough, its not really worked out for him at Dens and he's ending up worse off (in football terms) than before he moved. He seems to have struggled to play and score consistently at the higher level, and as a result had a less than stellar time with you guys.

Despite the Killie mauling we had a pretty reasonable season last time, finishing second and making the PO final is maybe not much, but a lot better than most. He'd most likely have enjoyed a good season & 15-plus goals with us had he stayed; to end up a short time later at the bottom end of the Championship is ironic.  I liked him for us, a lot, but maybe all this saga confirms is that Championship is his level.   

You'll need more than Loy to salvage your Titanic esque season.

Correct, we definitely will. The fact that yourselves and a few other clubs wanted to sign proves he rated at this level & will definitely do a job for us.

Great signing, just a pity we couldn't have brought him in a month or two ago. I feel it's too little too late.

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

You mean he's had 1 and a half seasons of playing sometimes in the top flight. Only 25 starts in that time cant have been ideal for him. Ok dundee are a bigger club but not a great deal bigger.

You mean he's had 1 and a half seasons of playing sometimes in the top flight. Only 25 starts in that time cant have been ideal for him. Ok dundee are a bigger club but not a great deal bigger.

So he's played at a higher level, for a considerably bigger club, for more money and you're acting like a temporary move to a club who are of similar size to yourselves (Of which he had the choice of the division essentially) means it was a mistake? Baffling.

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

So he's played at a higher level, for a considerably bigger club, for more money and you're acting like a temporary move to a club who are of similar size to yourselves (Of which he had the choice of the division essentially) means it was a mistake? Baffling.

The reactions across the forum have been pretty funny. Ranging from 'never heard of him' to 'never fancied him anyway' to 'St Mirren are down, what's the point' to 'he'd have come to us if we wanted him' to 'what's he thinking' to 'he must have no ambition' to 'look at the state of his career' to 'why are you bringing in another striker?' and with many more in between.

Safe to say this deal, if it goes ahead, has got a few folk rattled.

13 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I was trying to point out that part of his reasoning for leaving at the time money apart was to play at a higher level. Somewhat ironic that in such a short space of time he is now playing for the team at the bottom of the championship. I think he'll be a good signing for St Mirren and have no reason to be rattled as their not competing with us this season and we've already got 5 strikers on our books so he wasnt really an option for us at the moment. Two or three of our strikers are out of contract come the summer though so as I've said on another thread I'd like to see Houston trying to get him signed back up at Falkirk if he's still available. He loved his time with us so I'm sure we'd have had a decent chance of getting him if we'd needed a striker at the moment but we don't

Archived