The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

16 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

He's 28 but has only ever really scored goals in 2 seasons, both at the same club, which would make me very unsure about him. Has a 1 in 2 Championship goal scoring record so with 16 games left you're looking at 8 goals. But even then Falkirk were a good team whereas St Mirren are rubbish so will be harder to maintain that 1 in 2 ratio, plus he can't be match sharp. Factor that in and 5-6 goals looks more realistic. Would that keep them up? With how Ayr are looking it could be enough to scrape 9th.

When you're bottom of the the Championship realistically he's as good as you'll get though I suppose.

Against QoS we had 15 shots on goal and they had 8. Beat 3-0.

Against Ayr we had 21 shots on goal (including a friggin missed penalty) and they had 8. 1-1 draw.

We are creating chances but cannot put them away. The forward line is as culpable as the defence for the position we are in.  Hopefully Loy can take advantage of the chances being made.and stick some away. It would be different if we were not creating chances but we are.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Against Ayr we had 21 shots on goal (including a friggin missed penalty) and they had 8. 1-1 draw.

We are creating chances but cannot put them away. The forward line is as culpable as the defence for the position we are in.  Hopefully Loy can take advantage of the chances being made.and stick some away. It would be different if we were not creating chances but we are.

I'm not sure the forward line is particularly culpable. I'd say playing one up front, and that one being John Sutton, is a big part of the problem.

Sutton is fine, he can put the ball in the net when he gets a chance, but playing up front on his own? Not for me.

Needs a decent player alongside him. If that means going back to a 4-4-2 then so be it. The current formation ain't getting results.

Just now, Div said:

I'm not sure the forward line is particularly culpable. I'd say playing one up front, and that one being John Sutton, is a big part of the problem.

Sutton is fine, he can put the ball in the net when he gets a chance, but playing up front on his own? Not for me.

Needs a decent player alongside him. If that means going back to a 4-4-2 then so be it. The current formation ain't getting results.

Our shots to scoring ratio is atrocious Div.

EmotionalSatisfiedHarrier-size_restricte

Suppose it makes sense if he's not getting a game for us, however I hope we're getting another forward in to replace him. Loy is the replacement for Hardie. You can argue another forward would still give us too many but one of the four would be Clarkson...

There's a young boy who has been on loan from Aberdeen at Stranraer whose been training with us, hope that isn't who we're signing to replace Shankland.

25 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

You might have had 15 shots but you didnt really create many clear cut chances. Im struggling to remember a shot on goal from inside the box, other than from set pieces.

13 minutes ago, Mr X said:

You might have had 15 shots but you didnt really create many clear cut chances. Im struggling to remember a shot on goal from inside the box, other than from set pieces.

Only because your defenders weren't as generous as ours and refused to pass the ball straight to our players or indeed, just knock it in themselves.

So he's played at a higher level, for a considerably bigger club, for more money and you're acting like a temporary move to a club who are of similar size to yourselves (Of which he had the choice of the division essentially) means it was a mistake? Baffling.

Choice of the division? Really?

Who else was in for him other than the rumoured Morton and Queens?

Choice of the division? Really?

Who else was in for him other than the rumoured Morton and Queens?

There was another 2 teams in for him from this league and there was the flimsy rumours about ICT and Hamilton wanting him too.

Just now, Mr X said:

I think we all know that isnt the reason

Read back in the thread a bit and see what neutral fans thought of your goals.

Surely you're not going to tell me that these three were good play by Queens rather than poor play by Saints?

As for our chances (we didn't actually have any 'set pieces inside the box') aside from the one that hit the bar we had three others that went very narrowly past the post.

We had a ball fizzed across inside the 6 yard line that just needed a touch - but of course didn't get one.

We had an almighty stramash in the second half where the ball just didn't break for us.

And we may also have had a header cleared off the line in the first half (I say 'may', as that might have been Morton the week before!).

Don't get me wrong, we weren't great, but our problem on Saturday wasn't creating chances - it was taking them - oh, and not gifting goals to our opponents.

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The second goal was simply incredible. Whose the number 10?. God knows who he's trying to pass the ball to.

Mallan, looks as though he's trying to play one of those smart, disguised passes where the player looks the opposite way from where the ball is going. :lol:

22 minutes ago, Gmfc 23 said:

Serious question. How has shankland been with st mirren ?

If you get the Shankland from this season you'll be disappointed. He's carrying a bit of timber this year as well that he didn't have last year.

If you get him fit and he plays like he did in the second half of last season he will be an excellent signing.

Clearly there's something up with his attitude or relationship with Jack Ross because he's obviously not happy with him 

6 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Mallan, looks as though he's trying to play one of those smart, disguised passes where the player looks the opposite way from where the ball is going. :lol:

That's it exactly.

What we didn't realise though is that it's the passer rather than receiver who's supposed to be looking the other way.

21 minutes ago, Gmfc 23 said:

Serious question. How has shankland been with st mirren ?

This season I think he's been poor but who hasn't been in our team. He has 4 goals in 24 games (only 7 starts), all via lower league teams (Albion, Edinburgh City and Spartans) and missed a crucial penalty via Ayr. 

He appeared back at Saints looking unfit and wasn't the same player that we saw last season. Rae played him but dropped him when the going was getting tough. Ross has only started him occasionally and he became a late impact sub so was never able to really cement a position. When he played this season he wasn't massively impressive. However he at least tried most of the time and showed a bit of fight unlike Hardie who pined for Ibrox. 

I have no doubt he is able to get back to his form of last season. If you get him, fit, play him regularly and get his confidence back he'll be good. He also takes a long throw but can't remember that actually creating a goal for us- it almost cost us against Raith and Ross banned it for the rest of the game!

Archived