The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

Read back in the thread a bit and see what neutral fans thought of your goals.
Surely you're not going to tell me that these three were good play by Queens rather than poor play by Saints?

As with almost every goal it's a bit of both.

It's a poor pass to Quinn, the kind of poor pass that happens all the time, but if Rankin reacts slower, Quinn probably recovers and at least clears the ball. It's then a good pass to Dobbie and a good finish.

The second is terrible defending but other than the pass to no one it's hardly a gift. Thomas puts in a good shot, Dobbies chest control and first time volley is superb and Thomson does well to get back and stay onside.

The third is a good break, a great ball from Thomas to Dykes and if the defender doesn't put the ball in Lyle is waiting for a tap in.

Gifting a goal is something like the keeper passing the ball straight to a forward 25 yards from goal. But even saints are that bad.

As for our chances (we didn't actually have any 'set pieces inside the box') aside from the one that hit the bar we had three others that went very narrowly past the post.
We had a ball fizzed across inside the 6 yard line that just needed a touch - but of course didn't get one.
We had an almighty stramash in the second half where the ball just didn't break for us.
And we may also have had a header cleared off the line in the first half (I say 'may', as that might have been Morton the week before!).
Don't get me wrong, we weren't great, but our problem on Saturday wasn't creating chances - it was taking them - oh, and not gifting goals to our opponents.

I think it's pretty obvious I meant the chances inside the box came from set pieces.

So, no particularly good chances then.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Mr X said:

As with almost every goal it's a bit of both.

It's a poor pass to Quinn, the kind of poor pass that happens all the time, but if Rankin reacts slower, Quinn probably recovers and at least clears the ball. It's then a good pass to Dobbie and a good finish.

The second is terrible defending but other than the pass to no one it's hardly a gift. Thomas puts in a good shot, Dobbies chest control and first time volley is superb and Thomson does well to get back and stay onside.

The third is a good break, a great ball from Thomas to Dykes and if the defender doesn't put the ball in Lyle is waiting for a tap in.

Gifting a goal is something like the keeper passing the ball straight to a forward 25 yards from goal. But even saints are that bad.

I think it's pretty obvious I meant the chances inside the box came from set pieces.

So, no particularly good chances then.

What a pile of Disingenuous Tosh.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

54 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The second goal was simply incredible. Whose the number 10?. God knows who he's trying to pass the ball to.

Mr X thinks it was incredible too - but not for the reasons everyone else did.

8 hours ago, Stu said:

Hartley pretty much confirmed we're signing Loy in a couple of papers as he's quoted saying he won't be eligible for the cup tie.

Im sure there is some sort of deadline for upcoming cup tie possibly 14 days or when the draw was made is something Ive heard on here. 

So unless Dundee have stipulated he cant play, id guess it is the above in some form.

A push out the boat signing for St Mirren, a player who could probably get a start at all 10 teams in this league tho a push with Hibs as they have 20 strikers. The one thing he will give is a huge work effort and if St Mirren are to get out of this mess, this is what is required. I personally wouldve liked to have seen him back with us as he offers something our current strikers dont, tho on the flip side I thought if Morton signed him, he would guarantee Morton 3rd if not higher. No doubt our fans will boo Loy, its the rules in football, tho he was cheered whilst being in amongst our fans v Dunfermline recently. A good signing and once you are finished with him, would gladly take him back as it seems we are pinpointing other areas for now.

3 hours ago, MrDust said:

Im sure there is some sort of deadline for upcoming cup tie possibly 14 days or when the draw was made is something Ive heard on here. 

So unless Dundee have stipulated he cant play, id guess it is the above in some form.

A push out the boat signing for St Mirren, a player who could probably get a start at all 10 teams in this league tho a push with Hibs as they have 20 strikers. The one thing he will give is a huge work effort and if St Mirren are to get out of this mess, this is what is required. I personally wouldve liked to have seen him back with us as he offers something our current strikers dont, tho on the flip side I thought if Morton signed him, he would guarantee Morton 3rd if not higher. No doubt our fans will boo Loy, its the rules in football, tho he was cheered whilst being in amongst our fans v Dunfermline recently. A good signing and once you are finished with him, would gladly take him back as it seems we are pinpointing other areas for now.

I'd reckon it's more likely Dundee have told him he can't play. It used to be you couldn't play anyone signed within 14 days of a cup tie but I thought that rule had been binned years ago. Either way, Hartley isn't letting him out to play that day. Doesn't bother me, we need to focus on the league.

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

I'd reckon it's more likely Dundee have told him he can't play. It used to be you couldn't play anyone signed within 14 days of a cup tie but I thought that rule had been binned years ago. Either way, Hartley isn't letting him out to play that day. Doesn't bother me, we need to focus on the league.

Yup, that's a tiny price to pay. If the U20s are playing that week we can simply fire him in with them to get 90 mins under his belt.

55 minutes ago, Stu said:

The rules used to be simple but I'm sure he can't play for Dundee in the cup if Dundee get to the cup final and he goes back, sure we had the queens poster poopoo one of our loan players out when we reached the final. My head explodes thinking what the rules re a recall and if Dundee drew St Mirren in the cup.....heyho, as you say, the league is the priority.

Archived