The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Exactly. St. Mirren do have an advantage over us in that season as 9th placed had a high points total that season with Cowdenbeath picking up the occasional win (helped by 7 points v us) making it even harder for us to turn it around, whereas St. Mirren at least have Ayr on a dreadful run of form to aim at. If Ayr keep failing to win, that gap can be closed.

However, the notion that a couple of signings can click soon enough to get them enough wins to catch anyone from 5th to 8th is far fetched. They don't need to think in terms of four wins, they need to think in terms of four wins more than those sides over the course of the remaining 16 games - realistically any of them would be having a disastrous second half of the season were they to only win twice for the rest of the season, and to get 6 wins out of 16 from where St. Mirren sit now would be an absolutely huge turnaround. Barring Dumbarton's worst run of form since their first few months in this division four seasons ago, Raith's winless run extending for several more months or Queen of the South going straight back to failing to win as if last week never happened, 8th is surely gone. Ayr are their only hope now - the head to heads between them will be interesting.

I just don't think it's a massive task if you have the right man as manager, two wins v Ayr and better their points after by 2pts gets you 9th.

3pts for a win makes it easier to climb into a false position at varying points of the season by maintaining a little run. one look at Raith last season who were on a horrific run and still maintaining a foot in the top end, go on a run at the turn of the year and clinch 4th, whereas QOS went on the opposite run.

It isn't a major surprise if anyone beats anyone in this league, St mirren, Dumbarton and Ayr have all beat the current leaders an no one is raping top spot like the previous two seasons.

The key is going on a run, if history repeats, the alloa fans on here stated Ross took time to assess their squad then things started picking up after transfer window, this isn't an Alloa situation, tho may still end the same

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

All the talk about St. Mirren's signings makes it sound like Ayr/QoS/Dumbarton are just gonna sit on their thumbs and let them catch up. As decent as Midden's signings look I'd expect the other clubs to also pick up a couple of players as well.

Not Ayr. 

All the talk about St. Mirren's signings makes it sound like Ayr/QoS/Dumbarton are just gonna sit on their thumbs and let them catch up. As decent as Midden's signings look I'd expect the other clubs to also pick up a couple of players as well.

To be fair you're on a st mirren thread so hardly strange that's all the talk :-)

2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Strange to mention QoS who pre your post have made about 5 signings. I'd guess Dumbarton and Ayr wont have same impact on what St mirren do.... I can't recall the Morton save the day signings but O'Connor and novo more or less said relegation, signing players that were well past their sell by date and in the 2nd tier, can be excused slightly in the top tier

16 minutes ago, paisleysaints said:

He's a strange character. Posted a simple fact team riding high under 2000 at game. Must've been free needle day in greenock.

Your right, its pish considering how well we are doing but our crowds have been pretty static for the last 8-10 years, regardless of how well we are doing.

We have a core of 1500-1800 and I think we need to accept that the fans who have deserted us won't be back.

Still, would rather be 3rd with 2k gates than 10th with 3k gates

Archived